Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is CTX wireless module using Bluetooth?

TechBill

Administrator
Staff member
Findmall Sponsor
Anyone know if CTX wireless module using standard Bluetooth to pair to the detector or not?

Or is Minelab using it own version of pairing programming in the module and detector?

Bill

TechBill said:
Anyone know if CTX wireless module using standard Bluetooth to pair to the detector or not?

Or is Minelab using it own version of pairing programming in the module and detector?

No, it uses Wi-Stream. Wi-Stream is multi-channel and has no perceivable lag time, as might occur with Bluetooth. HH Randy

Attached you will find a copy of a tech document from the Minelab website.

Cheers
HH

Thank you for the information!

Wish it was Bluetooth then I would be able to connect it directly to my implants without needing a module and headphone but I will try connecting the module to my implant's wireless module and see if it send the signal to my implant itself.

I have a wireless module for my implants which computers or ipod can transmit audio via Bluetooth or using a stereo jack on the module. If the stereo jack works then I will be wearing 2 wireless module on me.

Bill

You might want to check out Bluetooth transmitters that would plug into the headphone jack of the CTX Bill, that would eliminate the Minelab Wi-Stream module.

Larry (IL) said:
You might want to check out Bluetooth transmitters that would plug into the headphone jack of the CTX Bill, that would eliminate the Minelab Wi-Stream module.

That a possibility. Thank you for sharing the idea.

But I been reading on the forum that it have to be a specific jack or otherwise it will not shut off the external speaker right?

Bill

Yes, it has to be a true stereo plug to shut off the speaker or in my case where I use the older SunRay Golds headphones, I just put a jumper wire in the headphone adaptor to shut the speaker off and I can use whatever headphones I want. All of the options of dealing with the speaker are covered somewhere in Diggers archives. The wire wrap fix is easy, quick and does not need soldering, just wrap a wire around two of the three terminals inside the adaptor and the speaker is off. I can't remember which two but that can't be that hard to figure out, plus it is posted on here somewhere.

Larry is spot on. There are three leads in stereo jacks/plugs......Tip, Ring and Sleeve. Connecting the Sleeve lead is required to disengage the internal speaker. Here are a couple diagrams.......

[attachment 289203 ctxstereoheadphonewiring.jpg]

[attachment 289206 ctxmonoplugwiring.jpg]

I ordered a Bluetooth transmitter yesterday. Here what I ordered - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082703&p_id=9722&seq=1&format=2

I am aware that Bluetooth have some audio sync delay but from what I research on is that delay is only noticeable if the transmitter is at some distance from the receiver.

Some folks posted in reviews that they noticed the audio delay when they are sitting 10+ feet away from the TV with the transmitter plugged into the TV, Bluetooth are suppose to have a range of 30 feet but many things in air can interfere the signal and shorten the actual range and causes delay in audio sync..

I don't think this would be an issue with metal detectors when transmitter only a foot or two from receiver however maybe power line or some type of interference may be an issue, I will find out soon and it only 20 buck to test it out so that not bad at all.

I will post result after testing it out.

Bill

My Bluetooth transmitter arrived today and I was able to link it to my implant. Tested it plugged into a computer running a video and it works.

However since my CTX haven't arrived yet so I tested it on the XTerra I have here and it doesn't transmit any sounds to my implants.

It got a stereo jack on it. I am wondering how I am going to mod this to make it work but I will wait for the CTX to arrive and try it on CTX first.

Bill

The X-TERRA doesn't use the sleeve lead for audio to the headphones. Give your setup a shot on your CTX when it arrives. After that, if you want to swap it back and forth with the X-TERRA, we'll help you figure out how to make an adapter that will isolate the Sleeve lead and just use Tip and Ring. HH Randy

Digger said:
The X-TERRA doesn't use the sleeve lead for audio to the headphones. Give your setup a shot on your CTX when it arrives. After that, if you want to swap it back and forth with the X-TERRA, we'll help you figure out how to make an adapter that will isolate the Sleeve lead and just use Tip and Ring. HH Randy

Thank for the information.. I am plan on giving the X-Terra to my son since my son is hearing and only wanted to test it out with a machine I have on hand. I sold my E-Trac and my other machine is an Excalibur with no headphone jack on it.

Hopefully it'll work on CTX without needing to make an adapter if not then I will holler on forum with help making one, I am an electronic engineer and I got the tools for the job.

Bill

I got the CTX today and plugged my Bluetooth transmitter in it. It works but it does not shut off the external speaker.

Look like I need to make an adapter to shut off the external speaker but let signal pass through to the transmitter.

Anyone here could give me an idea what I need to do or draw up an schematic showing how I would probably wire the adapter up?

Thank you
Bill Fleming

Here is a post I made regarding an adapter (patch cord) for mine....

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1729960,1729960#msg-1729960

I did some more testing.

Using Bluetooth transmitter and paired with my implant receiver.

1. plugging the Bluetooth transmitter directly into the headphone on CTX - I can hear threshold and target sounds but speaker still emits sounds.

2. plugging the Bluetooth transmitter into the wireless module - no threshold sound or no target sounds but wireless speaker is disabled.

My implant receiver also have a 1/8 input jack which I can choose from instead of using Bluetooth feature so I tested the input jack using cable..

1. cable from input jack to the headphone on CTX - I can hear threshold and target sound but speaker still emits sounds.

2. cable form input jack to wireless module - I can hear threshold and target sounds and wireless speaker is disabled.

I need to figure out how to make an adapter to make this work probably need to switch wires around from 1/8 jack to 1/4 jack or something.

Bill

Digger said:
Here is a post I made regarding an adapter (patch cord) for mine....

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1729960,1729960#msg-1729960

Thank you!

I will check it and make a patch cord like your to see if it fixes my issue.

Bill

What you said about the CTX jack vs the Wireless jack makes sense to me. The Wireless module uses an internal mechanical switch, rather than electronically sensing headphones, so the module is compatible with a wider range of third party headphones than the Headphone Module.

Here are a couple links that go into further detail, as well as provide schematics of the plug/jack arrangement. HH Randy

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/93182/KBA_21-1-CTX-3030-Audio-Options.pdf

http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/ctx-3030-audio-options

Bill, It seems to me that you are going to a lot of trouble making adaptors to just turn the speaker off. This is what I did to shut the speaker off, you need a T-10 screwdriver and a small piece of wire.

Remove your headphone adaptor from the CTX and then remove the two T-10 screws holding the adaptor together and separate. The headphone jack is just pressed in so pull it straight out.

Wire wrap or solder a jumper to the orange and black wires, reassemble and you are done.............. the speaker is disabled. Should take you about 5 minutes. To restore to factory, remove the jumper. The headphone adaptor still works and lets me use my original SunRays Golds unaltered.

[attachment 289581 t-10.jpg][attachment 289584 t-11.jpg]

Larry (IL) said:
Bill, It seems to me that you are going to a lot of trouble making adaptors to just turn the speaker off. This is what I did to shut the speaker off, you need a T-10 screwdriver and a small piece of wire.

Remove your headphone adaptor from the CTX and then remove the two T-10 screws holding the adaptor together and separate. The headphone jack is just pressed in so pull it straight out.

Wire wrap or solder a jumper to the orange and black wires, reassemble and you are done.............. the speaker is disabled. Should take you about 5 minutes. To restore to factory, remove the jumper. The headphone adaptor still works and lets me use my original SunRays Golds unaltered.

[attachment 289581 t-10.jpg][attachment 289584 t-11.jpg]

That did the trick

Thank you for sharing the mod with me.

I will make the adapter just in case if I ever need it for other Minelab machine.

Bill

I am using velcro to attach the Bluetooth transmitter to the side of the headphone module.

Blinking blue led mean it paired to my implant,

It may also work with hearing aids that have Bluetooth support.

Bill