Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it water safe?

smkunder

I am in a quandary right now, I bought a CTX and am afraid to submerge it, I then waited a while to purchase the Equinox, and now after reading many complaints I am afraid to submerge it. What is the answer to this are these machines safe to use submerged or not? Or is the only truly safe machine a Excalibur?

If you still have warranty on it, the time is now to dunk and test. Water hunt frequently to give it a good “run” to make sure it doesn’t leak. If it does, call Minelab and they will take care of you.

I am in a quandary right now, I bought a CTX and am afraid to submerge it, I then waited a while to purchase the Equinox, and now after reading many complaints I am afraid to submerge it. What is the answer to this are these machines safe to use submerged or not? Or is the only truly safe machine a Excalibur?

Only one way to find out, but if you bought it to use for water hunting, you may as well try it.... after all... it is supposed to be waterproof down to 10 feet.
I have a Sand Shark and the first time I used it, I was nervous too, but had no issues, and don’t even worry about it now.
After 8 years still no issues... good thing as the company no longer exists.

Avoid leaving unit in HOT direct sunlight or in any extreme heat environment..avoid rapid extreme temperature changes..even the mighty Excalibur is prone to forming cracks in the plastic...if you bought a 4 wheel drive vehicle would you only drive in 2 wheel drive? Exercise that warranty... my Excalibu has so many bubblegum and spit repairs done to it that I am concerned about it’s water tight integrity so I just chest mount the module higher on my chest to minimize the amount of time and depth in water..

I've owned 4 CTXs, always under warranty, and never had one leak; others experience differs. I've owned 3 Equinox's in the last 2 yrs because 2 drowned. My latest replacement I put in the bathtub overnight and I've put 7 3hr+ hunts on it fully submerged with no leaks; I hope this one is a keeper.

Has minelab ever said what is actually causing the leak. Even though we can’t do anything about it it would be nice lust know what is actually causing the leak.
Doug

I am going to order some waterproof headphones and give it a shot, figure I have some warranty time left, what have I got to lose. Just disappointing that folks have to even worry about this stuff. Figure it should have been fully tested before the customer gets them.

you have nothing to loose and a possible new unit (to gain) IF it leaks. Either way you are a winner :)

I am going to order some waterproof headphones and give it a shot, figure I have some warranty time left, what have I got to lose. Just disappointing that folks have to even worry about this stuff. Figure it should have been fully tested before the customer gets them.

you have nothing to loose and a possible new unit (to gain) IF it leaks. Either way you are a winner :)
We would expect the replacement to be a new unit, but we saw that wasn't the case for Calabash. I have about 25 months left on my warranty and I'm hesitant to hunt the ocean submerged....
but I think I'll do it at some point, just not now... HH

I did respond to that post concerning cally’s used replacement. Not sure what happened there. Rightfully so, anyone of us would be ticked off if that happened to us. However I haven’t heard any other claims concerning others receiving a used replacement unit.

We would expect the replacement to be a new unit, but we saw that wasn't the case for Calabash. I have about 25 months left on my warranty and I'm hesitant to hunt the ocean submerged....
but I think I'll do it at some point, just not now... HH

So if you have to ever send one in I guess you will need to mark it Somehow.

So if you have to ever send one in I guess you will need to mark it Somehow.

You have a serial number [which is highly tracked] by Minelab. My unit that was replaced was a different serial#, so was Calabash's. That does not not mean it was new!
I inspected mine for ware and handling marks. I would say there is a ZREO percent chance of getting your "own unit" back as a replacement. The cost to open a unit up for repair is too much!

You have a serial number [which is highly tracked] by Minelab. My unit that was replaced was a different serial#, so was Calabash's. That does not not mean it was new!
I inspected mine for ware and handling marks. I would say there is a ZREO percent chance of getting your "own unit" back as a replacement. The cost to open a unit up for repair is too much!
Ok then they are probably reconditioning them.

Wonder if the new ones are doing it or after a certain serial number they have fixed the problem.

[QUOTE = "flysar, publicación: 2274879, miembro: 32893"]
He tenido 4 CTX, siempre en garantía y nunca he tenido una fuga; la experiencia de otros es diferente. He tenido 3 Equinox en los últimos 2 años porque 2 se ahogaron. Mi último reemplazo lo puse en la bañera durante la noche y le puse 7 cacerías de 3 horas o más completamente sumergido sin fugas; Espero que este sea un guardián.
[/CITAR]

It is that hole and cables that go to the compartment of the grip where the battery is housed.

Attachments

• 20201004_012644.jpg
    20201004_012644.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
Never had a leaking problem with my CTX with the new gasket. Never had a leaking problem with my Excal II if the gaskets were in good shape. Given the reports on the EQX, I consider my 800s as water resistant vs waterproof. If I want to go in the surf more than knee deep, I'll use my Excal.
Just the view from my foxhole....

I water hunt but don't submerge completely very long and I have not had any problems with mine Minelab should have made these units so they could be rebuilt but they are just a throwaway detector.
Mark