Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the CoilTek worth having?

Daniel Tn

I have the stock coil and 6" coil. I really like the performance of the CTX with the stock coil and got the small coil for hunting trash and in heavy iron. I will say, I haven't been that impressed with it. I wasn't expecting the same depth out of it as the stock coil but was expecting it to be better than what it is. For those that have the CoilTek, what kind of performance are you seeing out of it as far as a combo of depth and separation? With the 6" coil, I've got various coins and relics buried in my test garden that it cannot give a signal on MOST if they are any deeper than 5 inches or so. This being in mild ground where the machine will suggest a sens setting ranging between 19 and 22. The odd thing is, it likes the lower conductors better than the high conductors. I have a nickel at approx 7 inches that it will light up with a good signal but a copper penny and silver dime at the same depth are no signal at all. I was thinking maybe the CoilTek might be a good inbetween coil that offers decent depth and close to the same separation as the 6 inch coil. BUT that is a lot of dough to lay down for just something to try out. Always better to ask first!!

I haven't seen this type of issue raised before. I hunt almost exclusively with the 6" Minelab coil and get depths of around 7-8" in normal ground on demolitions. Have dug deeper signals but I would say the average is about 6-7". Is there another hunter you can swap coils with to see if it is your coil or your settings? Is there a difference with the stock middle sized coil? If there is a significant difference you probably have a coil that might need to be replaced. I hunt with 2 other folks that have 3030's and we all use the 6" Minelab. One of the guys bought the Coiltek but does not like it for some reason. I have seen lots of reviews of the Coiltek coil but in almost every case I recall the major difference is the amount of ground you cover in a lateral sweep. It is bigger N to S so you get more coverage.

If I were you, I would compare my regular coil closely, then if able swap with another person and try their small coil. If you have the same issue then it is either the program you are running, some setting, or the unit has a brain issue. I suppose you have cleaned the coil cover to make sure nothing is there that might effect the signals, cked all the connections, faced the East when enabling pin point and holding your left eye closed! There has got to be something out of kilter somewhere!

Everybody thought I was crazy for laying down the $ for a CTX in the first place. Nobody else locally has one. I did have a bad unit out of the box that Minelab replaced; mine is a couple weeks old and seems to work OK with the stock coil on it. Not running any major patterns; I have Andy's Relic and Beach patterns downloaded from the CTX book. I have tried it in Ground-Coin and other modes too; deep on and off...high trash off. Tried noise cancelling at my test site and even tried manual GBing to see if that made a difference. I can get the 7-8 inch nickel I have buried, but not the silver dime and copper penny...nor can I get some of the flat buttons, etc I have buried at average depths. The stock coil will light them up though. The 6 inch coil is brand new; had it approx a week.

Does depth improve if you increase Sensitivity in Manual to say 27? What happens?
I'd say to ignore random noise, do a NC, and run hotter. If the machine suggests 19-22 you can crank it.
The thing about the nickel is normal detector behavior with the 11" but haven't tested my 6" for it. I normally hunt beaches and didn't see a reason to use the 6" there. I mean I tried it but the 11" is better all around.
What do you have against the 11"? You might be able to disc better with the 6" but do you really need to or would you appreciate better depth?
If you really need to then the 10" might be a good compromise between the two.
I don't dirt hunt. Man that is a lot of work. I guess if a smaller coil helped disc pull tabs from rings I'd use it - but does it really disc the two or do you dig anyway?

Daniel if you plan on ever using the Coiltek coil in the water I don't think you'll like it. While it is waterproof it floats and You must push down on it constantly. I've had great luck with the 6" minelab. Mine goes deeper than any 6" coil I've ever used. Don't give up on it, you might have a bad one.

I know there are other units out there that probably handle the iron laden sites better than the CTX but I have also seen the videos where they are doing some pretty cool things with the CTX in iron. I have one spot in particular in mind that was once an old home site or blacksmith shop. I have dug close to 50 flat buttons on this site and coins from the 1840s and 50s with other detectors. But there is so much iron that a larger coil just sees too much underneath it at once.

Ironically....I thought beach and water hunting was more work than land hunting :) At least we don't have to dig clad at 10-12 inches+ on land or have a wayward wave knock us down when distracted by a bikini clad beauty or trying to scoop something out of the sand. :) I love both types of hunting!!

My 6" Coil can hit my 8" copper penny in my yard and it is bad dirt. Recommended sensitivity 11!
It can only hit it constantly if I use Ground Coin and manual sensitivity of around 23 or higher.
Even though your recommended sensitivity is running at 22 doesn't mean all your frequencies are at
that level if you are in Auto Sensitivity.
That is just an average of all the frequencies if I remember correctly..
That may be the reason you are getting better results with the lower conductors.
The lower frequencies that pick up high conductors better might be running at lower sensitivity.
Try running in manual sensitivity at 23 or higher if your ground will allow and see how it does.
Makes for some noisy detecting but it's the only way I have been able to get deep coins in my area.
Also try all the different Target Seperation Modes to see what works best in your ground.
Bryan
AKA Cabin Fever

One more thing I have noticed but have never seen anyone mention.
While in Ground Coin, having Blocks FE1/CO49 and 50 Accepted lets me detect coins at the limit of detection in my soil.
By just rejecting those two blocks I lose the deepest signals. Doesn't make sense on paper but that's what happens.
A lot of people block that area to help get rid of falsing.
Bryan
AKA Cabin Fever

Trying to stay on topic here I'm assuming OP was referring to the value of spending $350 on the 5 x 10 coil and , having done so , I would have to say "no" even though it is the coil I find myself using the most. If mine quit I would most likely not replace it but go back to the stock. Making a judgement on depth versus other coils can only be done accurately when it is being done in the same soil under the same conditions by the same operator with the same machine. I find I use the 5x10 most because while it weighs about the same as the stock it just feels better ergonomically and fits into more spaces easily. In totlots and such it allows me to get closer to structures and and the shape pinpoints quicker. I would think in heavy weeds or stubble the same would be true for relic hunting although for that type of hunting I probably would opt for the stock. Likewise for water hunting. The 5x10 works as a decent compromise in modern moderate to heavy trashy park hunting where the 6" is just too slow.
Only you and your type of detecting can decide if it's worth it or not.

Daniel Tn said:
Everybody thought I was crazy for laying down the $ for a CTX in the first place. Nobody else locally has one. I did have a bad unit out of the box that Minelab replaced; mine is a couple weeks old and seems to work OK with the stock coil on it. Not running any major patterns; I have Andy's Relic and Beach patterns downloaded from the CTX book. I have tried it in Ground-Coin and other modes too; deep on and off...high trash off. Tried noise cancelling at my test site and even tried manual GBing to see if that made a difference. I can get the 7-8 inch nickel I have buried, but not the silver dime and copper penny...nor can I get some of the flat buttons, etc I have buried at average depths. The stock coil will light them up though. The 6 inch coil is brand new; had it approx a week.

You should be able to run your sensitivity higher with the 6" coil as it sees less ground. I haven't used that coil much but on my last hunt I was able to run in manual at max (30) at an old pounded site and hit some older coins at 7-8" with old nails in the same hole. I plan on using it more in the future. I have the stock, 17", and 6" coils and thought about adding the Coiltek at some point but not sure it'll make that big of a difference for the $$$. I saw one used for $175 a while back on another site but it sold quick. I honestly don't know of a single hunter that has purchased the 5" x 10" and there are lots of CTX owners in my area.

I have the 17" and stock coil, and have been curious as to which would be better, the 6" Minelab or the Coiltek 10" x 5". Although Coiltek has produced some great coils for other machines, the Minelabs with the computer chip in the coil is a different kind of animal. Sort of like the way a Nautilus coil is compared to other VLF detectors. No body else can duplicate it exactly. The 10" x 5" coil you would think would be more sensitive to smaller objects, but maybe not quite as deep on larger coins and jewelry. But does the CTX interpret what the coil is transmitting to it as well as the Minelab round 6" coil does. Minelab sold Coiltek the rights to produce the coil, but does that mean that Minelab gave Coiltek everything that they need to produce a perfect matching coil to sync with the programming that is built in to the machine? I do not know. What I have seen from reports and.videos the 6" round coil does well for it's intended use, hunting high trash or iron sites, not super depth. I was thinking of trying the Coiltek out for water hunting in saltwater for less strain on my arm in heavy surf, but the coil is thick and if it floats then it is a definite no go for that task. It is a lot a money to spend on a coil that has very few real world reviews as to its strengths and weaknesses at this point in time, so I will wait and see what other detectorists have to say about it before deciding on which of the two coils to spend my money on.

Coiltek was the original coil manufacturer foe minelab, to say they understand building their coils would be an understatement. Considering that the coiltek 10x5 is fully authorized by minelab (and has to be to get the IC chip) I'm sure it's a fully functional coil.

As to usefulness, I can't say. I have one, but it rarely gets used because it's kind of like a solution looking for a problem. When you have too much trash for the stock coil, you move to the six for better separation. The 10x5 doesnt separate as well as the 6 and doesnt have the depth of the 11. The best feature I have found, is it's solid base. The open web design of the 6 and 11 are very bad about hanging up on cut stalks so if you are in short stubble this coil is a lot easier to maneuver.

One of my hunting buddies uses the CTX, and to begin with he didn't find a lot more than me with the F75 LTD. Then a few months went by and suddenly he was getting the upper hand on good finds over me. We started comparing many deep/masked targets and I found the CTX has a definite edge over my present machine. Well anyway we went hunting today and both of us marked the deeper targets and started comparing signals. To my amazement over half the time the CTX could give a better audio and ID on the deep targets in fact one target I would have bet money that it was a nail, but I was wrong.
The CTX, once learned, (many hours of practice) will be hard to beat.

I believe Coiltek has made two different runs of these coils. A friend bought one when they first came out and the holes for the bolt were either not the same as the rod or were positioned so that the end of the rod rubbed the top of the coil. He had to drill the holes out slightly to get the bolt through. He used it heavily for a few months and the cable developed a broken wire and was able to replace it under warranty after sending it to Australia.He waited quite a while for his new coil and when it arrived it had a serial number of less than 10,,,,000x. If I was going to buy a used one I would try to verify that I was buying one from the second(or later)batch.

bklein said:
Jason in Enid said:
bklein said:
Gotta ask - coils on each?

huh? coils on each WHAT?

Well this thread is sort of focusing on coil size vs performance and your comparison might not ring true if the CTX had the 6" (or Coiltek) coil...

You might re-read what I wrote then, I specifically mentioned the 6 and the 5x10 and how they compare

Good to read your comments on the Coiltek, Jason. Since a 10" x 5" coil would be the equivalent of. 7.5" round coil that would make perfect sense. The six inch round should see less soil and get slightly better seperation on multiple targets. Do you get much more depth with the 10" x 5" coil over the 6" coil?