Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

lake digs

utahshovelhead

I finally got a chance to take my new 3030 out to a swimming hole. Ive only had it about a week now. Ive been spending tons of time learning the curves on it and thought id give her a try on a fresh water beach. The wind kicked up on my way and I had to wait for it to blow over. it left me a nice cut which is rare for fresh water round here. Any way, I ended up with a nice 14 K gold ring ( read solid 12 10) with three tiny diamonds, a silver toe ring ( read 12 44), and a huge silver looking ring with no mark on it ( that I can see.) it read 12 44 on the vdi , I thought it might be platinum but can find no mark for that or any mark at all.

I had to totally block out the 12 17,18,19,20,21, due to a mass of pull tabs on every swing. Got a lot of newer change too. and a few pieces of junk did fake me out. overall, I see some real potential for the 3030 and me. Next time im going to block the sound down to iron in the pull tab range. and raise the sound in the 12 2-15 range. Ill see how that works.

Ill try to get some pics up soon but I had a long day at work and took the night to go have some fun.

good luck,
shov

I have to agree with Nolan, lots of gold rings in that range, it is considered good practice to dig everything on the beach. Platinum will ID in the gold range and sometimes a little lower yet. Good luck with the gold :thumbup:

I know what your saying about the rings in the 17-21 range as I have found quite a few in that range too with the E trac. But I only had two hours and the pull tabs on this beach are the worst of any spot that I hunt, that is why I wanted to try the 3030 there. When I have more time I dig more of them, but I was surprised at how well I did in only 2 hours and that is just what I was looking for. One of the rings read 8 on the depth scale, I think that's the deepest ive got a reading off that beach before, Its a perfect area to try the discrimination for me and learn target ID too.
I had a ton of fun.

Nothing Wrong with Cherry picking....Specially good for a Limited amount of time, the gold will be there when you return special in a Lake, not much to move them around. Only issue might be someone that digs all...but with massive amounts of pulls they will get tired quick..Congrads on the gold!!

I failed to mention the best part of this lake hunt. I went further down the beach the next day and found a nice 14K gold bracelet also. I have no intention of digging all the pull tabs at this location. Neither do I have the time or the desire to do that. it is also hunted pretty hard there by a few other folks that live close by where I have to travel a bit. But, I have to say that my plan worked and for a new 3030 and me Im pretty dang stoked at the outcome. Maybe Ill try digging more tabs if I find a window of more than two hours next time.

Im starting to really like how fast the processor works on the ctx and how many ways I have to determine if the target is good or iffy or bad.

Good luck,
shov.

Sounds like you have a good handle on that ctx3030 with all its options.

I had to block out the nickles range in my hot spot , there was just to dam many. Came away with 7 gold items .

If I ever get the time I will go back and start working on all those nickles. A few of them have to be gold.

You can only do what's physically possible in each situation, and I think you made the best out of only 2 hours that's for sure !

Nice going !:clapping:

Hey Thanks Coondog!

I went again to the lake last night and got there about 2 hrs before dark.

I set up my program to discrim out the FE area 11 12 13 at co numbers 17,18,19,20 as well as the bottom half from 18 on down and a few fringe areas too.
I also set the tone up higher on the low Co numbers from 16 on down.
I still get a lot of pull tabs that aren't in the blocked range as there are so many variations of them and the way they lay but Ive blocked what I think is the majority of the worst offenders.

Silver and high tones came over great amidst all those tabs. When I switch to the open screen im getting constant readings. I think Ive about got the disc where I want it but the other setting and some discrim needs changed every time the sand gets soft or hard and the target or clutter changes. Also I switch from hi trash to low trash depending on how far from the main (littered) area I go.

The signals im digging are not iffy. They seam to hit right on and stay on. Im not sure yet if there are good iffy targets with the CTX here, Ive been digging lots of iffy targets to check and not any of them turn out to be good, even in the trashy spots with the pull tabs the CTX tends to hit a good target and it is not iffy once you swing over it directly and slowly.

Any way, just thought Id post how Im doing on this lake beach. Im hatching a plan to try another beach lake soon.

good luck,
Shov

Nice going shovelhead. I only have 8 pieces of gold so far but I thought I would let you know the TID numbers for some reference. I know there is a better list on this forum somewhere.

Medium size men's 12.10, double band woman's weddings 14k 12.16, small gold laddies 14k 12.04 to 05, 10k laddies medium heavy 12.09, 14k men's thick wedding band, 12.15 to 16, 10k med men's class 12.19 to 20. And a small thin girls ring a 12.08.

You can see I have nothing in the 12.11 to 13 range because I was ignoring nickles. I would have been there for weeks if I would have dug every nickles. Everybody brought change to this beach because it was like 50 cents to get in the gate. No cans or bottles allowed and a on sight vendor for snacks and cupped sodas. I still found pulltabs but not too many.

Sounds like you have allot of work a head of you cleaning that beach up. Good luck and keep us posted. Its neat to follow along with someone's clean up operation. I would post more on my hot spot but it's 300 miles away and when I get in the area I don't have allot of time.

LOL, Well I have a few more rings from there and they look just like pull tabs. This beach used to be free to get in so every dork with a can left there junk there. Now however its over 10 to get into. Over the years (Ive been addicted to detecting) Ive found over 100 gold items and about 80 of them are gold rings. I don't know how many silver ( Id have to count and that's not fun) , so I have plenty of target Ids to check on my disc. Im not as interested in the value as much in the finding something cool. Most the time Im out in quiet places with no people and not on a busy beach, but I have to admit the bikinis are fun.

I am getting ready to hit the water for the first time. Hope I do as well. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Just updating my lake hunt setup.

Went to different lake Saturday night. Ive done pretty well at this beach in years past and ive been wanting to try again with the 3030. Bad news was I had to hunt at night as I get there late, as in 930pm. Oh well, my trusty flash light that I hang from my belt was good to go and I'm off. I was so excited when I first got there but dag nabbit, I could tell from the holes left all over that someone had already been there previous to me and left all the wet area pitched with dug holes. I found quite a few of his left over pull tabs that he had left too.

I did not give up but spent 2.5 hours with the idea that I might find something still as "they can never get everything". In the end I don't have much great to say, I focused and was pretty upbeat in the first hour because I started finding nickels, all deep, over about a 40x 50 area and I searched pretty hard. Then came the dang "night people" who cant stand not knowing what some dude with a flash light is doing late at night on the beach. They stay just out of visible distance from me so that I have to turn the light off to see them or stop detecting and shine the light on them. but they persist in following me around and watching. I hate that as Im a target on the beach to a group of "night dorks" so I had to move off to a lesser quality area. Just as I get set up and ready to go the second battery on the light died. It was dark! It took me 10 ,minutes to find my black bag of possible's.

Well need less to say that was not the best adventure ive ever had. I got back to my cabin about 2 am.

Im now swearing to never hunt on that beach on a weekend night. Ill try a weekday next time. But, I do know where the nickels are still hiding and maybe a ring or at least something else.

Good luck,
Shov.