Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last and First Hunt of the Years (Quad Silver)

Yeasty

Last week I noticed in our local weekly paper that construction on a new High School was going to begin in the spring. They even showed a map displaying the entire layout. Well, I checked the area on an old 1937 aerial image and discovered that there was once a farm house there. Then I checked the 1868 Beers map and there it was! The land belongs to the school district making it open for detecting. So on Friday (New Years Eve) I got out there and, believe it or not, my very first target was a 1944 Merc Dime! Encouraged, I pressed on and found another silver dime, a 1951 Roosevelt, a 1946 Jefferson nickel (older than me!) and 6 wheat cents, all from the 1940's. I didn't get back there Saturday because, uhhhh, I was still a little fuzzy from the previous nite's celebrations but today I was determined to continue the search. I plotted the area most likely to have more coins on Google Earth and loaded the waypoints into my GPS and when I arrived at the site I flagged the area I planned to hunt. Needless to say, it payed off. I found a dateless Buffalo Nickel, another Merc Dime (1919) and, best of all, the nicest silver coin I have found to date. A really sweet 1898 Barber Quarter! The condition of this coin indicates that it must have spent most of its 112 years in the ground. I have not even covered 1/4 of the site's area. I plan to get back there tomorrow! The most important thing I've learned is that it's wise to pay attention to the local news. Once again research pays off!

Wow, That is a stellar looking barber quarter! And a very nice job with your research as well.

Congrats and I'm glad it paid off for you and continued luck with the site.

Rich

Nice finds,NEVER,( assume) it is open for detecting.Always try to get permission.

LabradorBob

Congratulations on the finds! That

Awesome,

sounds like it's going to be a riot piece of real estate to hunt. Very nice finds...

Good luck, HH

LabradorBob said:
Nice finds,NEVER,( assume) it is open for detecting.Always try to get permission.

LabradorBob

You got that one right LabradorBob. Several years back a couple of friends and I went to small town not to far from here where we came across a old school building. Thinking like Yeasty we just assumed it was open to hunting. We weren't there 10 minutes and up walks this guy and immediately you could tell there was a problem just from the look on his face. He proceeded to read us the riot act and told us to get off the property and if he caught us any where near there again he would have us arrested.

Every since that day I don't care where I hunt public or private property I get permission and in writing if I can. Rick "IL"

I guess I forgot to mention that in this area it is permissable to metal detect on public school property. Should I have to mention that? I don't think so.
I assumed nothing.
YOUR assumptions of me detecting a site without permission are wrong.

In our area we normally are allowed to hunt school property no questions asked and as i said WE ASSUMED that to be the case where we got so rudely run out. Since then I check with city or village police before hunting, by the way that is the only place we ever got run off school property.

I can't say that for other places where we even had permission. In one case a country church, the pastor gave us permission but a lady drove up and told us to get off the property, when we told her we had permission from the pastor she said she didn't care if we had permission from God himself to just get out.

Another was a private club that dated to the 1870's. I spoke with the club president and he took it before the membership and we were given permission. We went over on a Saturday to hunt and was run off by a custodian. I called the club president and he said he would look into it. I never heard from him again. I wander who was paying who's salary.

I have learned over the years not to ASSUME anything even if we have permission.

Rick"IL"