Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Latest finds from ante-bellum plantation site

chipper97

Went back last weekend to the old plantation site where I found my 1836 half-dime. That along with several old flat buttons and brass items came from near the family cemetery. This trip my 2 buds and I hunted around a clump of pine trees that was supposedly the old slave cemetery. We found several old wheat cents, flat buttons, a 1901 Barber and an 1887 Indian along with these highlights. The half-reale was dug by one of my buddies. I snagged the NC Sunburst, my second of the season.

Awesome finds! I am still waiting to find my first reale. Love the NC button. Hard to find item.

HH,
Greg

Thanks guys! The finds are becoming scarce at this site but it still produces something outstanding from time to time. The last hunt was a full 9 hours with 3 of us going at it. The fellow who found the half-reale is a greenhorn only been detecting a few months. Believe it or not, this was his first silver coin. I don't think his coil touched the ground the rest of the day he was so high.

chipper97 said:
Thanks guys! The finds are becoming scarce at this site but it still produces something outstanding from time to time. The last hunt was a full 9 hours with 3 of us going at it. The fellow who found the half-reale is a greenhorn only been detecting a few months. Believe it or not, this was his first silver coin. I don't think his coil touched the ground the rest of the day he was so high.

That is the way it always works. The new hunters always score the awesome finds. Tell him congrats on his great find and never stop searching!

Greg

Hey Chiper,
Great finds.
Always love seeing what is being found by other guys.
Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your finds.
RICK

Thanks Rick! Yeah I get a kick out of seeing what everyone is finding too. And I love all the great info that everyone posts about every aspect of the hobby. Great place the meet up and share.

Tony, I'm definitely no expert on the Sunburst buttons, but here's what I think I know. They were Civil War buttons made for the uniforms of North Carolina soldiers. There were many different varieties because they were made by small independent button makers. Some are relatively crude while others are well made, with silver or gold gilt. The shanks are missing on most dug specimens because they were soldered on independently of the button cast making them relatively weak. There are varieties with 8 or 7 points, usually 8. There are varieties with inner stipling and without and with a larger or smaller circle around NC and many other variations. The rarer types of course are more valuable. There were usually no backmarks. Hope this helps. There are some good sites on-line that have examples of all makes of Civil War buttons and more details on their history.

Killer finds - congrats !