Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Latest from Garrett about AT Pro shipping

Canine said:
Smitty, I have to agree with you. "Made in America" is misleading when the product in question has some parts made elsewhere. I don't see how stating that fact is some kind of Quixote quest. I find value in keeping my dollars close to home. I like making informed decisions on where my dollars are going, whether directly or indirectly. Not that it makes a reasonable difference, but at least I can go to bed knowing that I did my part.

Making a metal detector with entirely American made parts may not be a possibility now; if it is, I imagine it would be cost prohibitive. At least Garrett and others are still keeping a good portion of their production in-house, and manufacturers should state as much.

lol, I'm not concerned, you see when others can't offer anything constructive, they just go on the defensive and lash-out when someone calls a spade a spade. I agree, I mean in the current economic times, the more money that stays here (the US) the better....though I have no doubt that statement will make me some sort of commie racist. I'm not married to any of these brands of detectors, don't have the hats, shirts, and matching socks to prove my brand loyalty.

But "why" can't they be 100% manufactured and assembled here? I mean it's a few bucks worth of parts, not like an automobile. It's not for lack of know-how, and I'm sure there's probably at least a few manufacturers here who could produce them. I mean someone recently mentioned Garrett could sell the AT PRO for $1000 :)rofl:) if they wanted to, so if they're gonna lay claim to "Made in America" (and not 70%, 80% or 90% Made in America, which might actually be closer to the truth) why not put their money where their mouths are? You know as well as I, that people who want to support their country and it's jobs, will pay more to "Buy American". I also think those in business know that as well, and aren't above dishonesty (call it "creative advertisement" if you like) to take advantage of that. Buy overseas parts, put 'em together and claim "Made in America" :usaflag: It's about profits, and American parts would cost a few bucks more, so buy overseas, continue to wave the Red-White and Blue as a show of Patriotism, sell as Made in America.......and profit. Pretty unethical in my opinion.

I'm still waiting for Steve to show me where Tesoro says their detectors are "Made in America", and I will apologize right here for my inability to find it stated anywhere myself (I looked). I would also publicly condemn them (Tesoro) if they in fact use overseas parts. Regardless of what anyone tries to twist my posts into, I'm not biased against Garrett (look at my sig), I'm biased against ANY company who would do this for the sake of money.

There are a couple on this board who I have no doubt others look to for input. I suppose a beginner might just take their advice as gospel. Just like all this AT hype when they haven't a clue as to how that detector will do seeing as how they've never even held one. Heck, I'd think as a "field tester" they'd get detectors ahead of the rest of us, but I had my 350 before the "field testers". Perhaps they simply shouldn't state opinion as fact because there ARE people out there who won't bother to check, and there's no worse thing to have than a customer who's felt he's been mislead or deceived.

Smitty

I bet if you dug deep enough most if not all the materials the Chinese use to make there part do not come from there, I bet a lot of it comes from the USA. So they are not made in china parts either just assembled in china.

BusDigger said:
whadda said:
someone got out of bed on the wrong side don't you think

Who are you talking about? It surely isn't me....unless by my calling "BS" for what it is getting up on the wrong side of the bed.

SteveP(NH) said:
all of the US detector companies say made in America on their detectors and you can't buy all American parts. No matter how hard you try. I think what the Garrett and the rest are saying is that everything that they directly fabricate (in other words everything under their control) is made in America. Do you really think anyone doesn't know that all electronic parts are made in china these days.

With all the important things to worry about these days you sure must have a lot of time on your hands to build this molehill into a mountain. With all of the companies using a made in America label on their products which contains some parts made overseas you sure must feel like Don Quixote tilting at windmills in your quest to set the record straight. Or is it that you are just setting the record straight on Garrett and don't mind it when Whites, Tesoro, Fisher, etc. claim the same thing.

So you're saying they're only including the parts which can be bought here, and those they don't....don't count? And no, I don't think "everyone" knows all electronics are made in China, and don't agree with a manufacturer who states "Made in America", when it's only assembled here when it includes overseas materials. Very misleading.

Show me where on Tesoro's site they claim "Made in America", since you claimed they do. I've looked, and can't find it (perhaps I missed it). If you show me a link where they state it, then I'll acknowledge your correct. I don't know about the other brands because I don't have any here I can take apart to disprove, I do have a Garrett.

Mountain? :rofl: I simply questioned someone who made an incorrect statement. So if someone else claimed Garrett now had a lifetime warranty, no one should correct them? You guys seem pretty touchy on the subject, sorry for stepping on the toes of Garrett Almighty. Please continue with your worship :please:

Smitty

Here you go, first paragraph 3rd line

http://www.tesoro.com/product/catalog/TesoroCatalog2007.pdf

Sorry I wasn't hanging around waiting to argue and that you had to wait for my reply but I was actually out metal detecting today. By your standards just about nothing could be labeled as being made in a specific country since the parts and the raw materials to make those parts come from all over these days.

Smitty, it's not "a few bucks worth of parts". It may a few a bucks when you buy them from China, but not here. WE DON'T MAKE THEM HERE.. No one is going to invest in the development and production of parts for a relatively few metal detectors. It would take years to recoup those costs.

OK, I read the link....which said the family was proud of their "Made in America Tesoro Electronics products". Where did it say they're stating their detectors are "Made in America"? Garrett claims it on every page, with every detector, with every product.

Waiting to argue? :wacko: Right is right and wrong is wrong when it comes to deceiving people, I don't care who it is. But, that's what we've come to, misrepresentation of items and trickery to boost sales.

Jimbo, there's still many American electronics manufacturers, it's just a matter of money as to why the assemblers buy overseas. The parts are currently being made (overseas), so the R&D has been done, which I would have to think would have been done by a detector manufacturer.....so it would simply be a matter of switching vendors (to an American one). The overseas electronics vendors simply fill orders, which could just as easily be done here

Smitty.

why do you have Garrett if you don not want things not made in the USA ? smitty
Tesoro De Leon, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-pointer
i still don't see what this has to do about the AT-PRO being shipping?

I think companies should be required to have
"truth in labeling" standards.

Meaning ...it could be

International parts ....assembled in usa
made and assembled in usa.

Since we are on this topic I think Walmart pulled out the biggest marketing switch ever.
When they started out the whole thing was buy american ....blah blah blah
Then when the old man passed away and new management took over. .......

you be hard pressed to find anything in Walmart that was made in the US.

I told the clerk at Walmart that if China or Tawainn didn't exists, Walmart
may of gone out of business long ago!

Ok for a post that states "Latest from Garrett about AT Pro shipping" I think you have went way off base? Take the issue to a new post or call Garrett and complain to them. I would like to know when are they going to ship the AT Pro? I could care less about if parts come from China or any other part of your squabble about where it is manufactured or assembled. Get a grip! The world is a competitive place. Arguing about company statements is just plain foolish.
Look rather at the companies history and the good it has done to the hobby... So when can we expect shipment of the AT Pro?

I think you have made your point which I disagree with.
(There are no 100% American made detectors now)
If you are this truely unhappy about Garrett not being
100% American made, sell your Garrett stuff and be
happy with whatever brand you choose.
You have won the battle but lost the war.

BusDigger said:
OK, I read the link....which said the family was proud of their "Made in America Tesoro Electronics products". Where did it say they're stating their detectors are "Made in America"? Garrett claims it on every page, with every detector, with every product.

Waiting to argue? :wacko: Right is right and wrong is wrong when it comes to deceiving people, I don't care who it is. But, that's what we've come to, misrepresentation of items and trickery to boost sales.

Jimbo, there's still many American electronics manufacturers, it's just a matter of money as to why the assemblers buy overseas. The parts are currently being made (overseas), so the R&D has been done, which I would have to think would have been done by a detector manufacturer.....so it would simply be a matter of switching vendors (to an American one). The overseas electronics vendors simply fill orders, which could just as easily be done here

Smitty.

The detector manufacturers don't use custom chips they design themselves. They buy standard chips from the big chip making manufacturers and then write software to program them to detect and id metals. An example is the Garrett GTI series - they use an Analog Devices ADSP-21xx (not sure which one of this series they use so I have to leave the XX's on the end) digital signal processor as one of the main (and most expensive) chips in the machine. Analog Devices has chip fabrication plants in the US and overseas but Garrett can't demand that they only get the ones made in the US. Garrett is a tiny, little ity bity customer who only makes small orders of these chips. Garrett can't pick another manufacturer to make ADSP-21xx chips because they are copyright protected by Analog Devices. So they have to take the ADSP-21XX's that they are sent by the distributor even if they come from an overseas plant. Its the same thing with the other chips on the circuit board, none of them are custom made for Garrett (or whites, or tesoro or any other manufacturer) so there is no chip R&D done by the detector manufacturers and so it is not a simple matter to just pick an American company to make chips whose copyrights are owned by other companies.

The bottom line is that we are just going to have to agree to disagree as to how pure a product has to be to be labeled as Made in America (or for that matter any other country). By your standard no electronic device could ever be labeled as being made in any one country. Take China for instance - they import 40% of the entire world supply of copper, every electronic device has copper in it so by your standards none of the electronic products currently labeled as Made in China should be labeled as such as not all of the materials in it come from China.

Oh and btw - so you don't think Tesoro metal detectors are Tesoro electronic products and so they aren't included in the "Made in America Tesoro Electronics products" statement made on the first paragraph of the first page of a Tesoro metal detector catalog. If they don't fit under that statement then why did Tesoro print where it would be the very first thing a potential customer sees in their metal detector catalog?

However I believe that the standards we apply to logical deduction and reasoning are so different that it is pointless to try to continue a logically based discussion with you. Enough has already been written for readers of this forum to make an informed judgment about the merits of each of our positions and I am content to let them do so at this point.

I just can't wait for my AT Pro to show up so I can test it for myself and see how well it works. Looks like we are going to have good weather next weekend so I sure hope it shows up by then as I should be able to get out in the fields both days.

I had some serious down time this past summer so I used it to build a metal detector. I started with a blank PC board, etched it and populated with the parts and hand wound the search coils. It works very well and will make a nice coin shooter. However, none of the transistors, integrated circuits, resistors, capacitor's or the PCB were made in USA.

So by the logic that has hijacked this thread, my home made metal detector was not made in the USA either. :)

Garrett is a good company and does not deserve this snipping by people that probably prefer other products to start with.

Get a Grip!!

Jerry

BTW: I am still watching for the little brown truck for my At Pro

I could care less if a few parts come from China or are reverse engineered from alien spacecraft, just wanna know when that Brown Truck is gonna show up!!

BigCatDaddy said:
I could care less if a few parts come from China or are reverse engineered from alien spacecraft, just wanna know when that Brown Truck is gonna show up!!

Im with ya on that!! All the other is trivial B S.... Im ready to play with my new toy, but cant wait til X-mas, Though It seems their trying to make us
wait that long.

kwd- No where did I state I "didn't want things not made in the USA". All I was saying is manufacturers need to be more honest in their advertising. If they'd "stretch" the truth here, where else would they not hesitate to do the same? If I purchase something that's
Made in America", I don't expect to find Taiwan parts.

lostinfla- Pull up a chair and keep watching out the window :rofl:

Steve- I plan to sell them, already sold the 250. Also, the article you provided was speaking in terms of the 1980's. I'll also agree that we disagree, and no one says we need to (agree).

Jerry- Some of you need to read entire posts, not bits. I didn't claim Garretts wasn't a "good company", and will restate for the billionth time that ANY company who advertises "Made in America" with overseas parts isn't being honest in exchange for profits. Grip that :thumbup:

Larry- EXACTLY!

Smitty

http://www.pacificresistor.com/

http://www.americancapacitor.com/

http://www.americancircuits.com/

ETC...

Julien

n/t

BusDigger said:
Jerry- Some of you need to read entire posts, not bits. I didn't claim Garretts wasn't a "good company", and will restate for the billionth time that ANY company who advertises "Made in America" with overseas parts isn't being honest in exchange for profits. Grip that :thumbup:

Smitty

Bull Corn!

America dont make parts anymore.
We lost those jobs to overseas cheap labor.
Almost every electronic device made today has parts made outside the USA regardless of where it was assembled.

So what is the point?

You really think USA made stuff is better than stuff not made here?
Wake up cause you are dreaming.
We were once the greatest but now a lot of American made stuff is inferior to stuff made overseas.
What country thinks American made anything is the best?
What causes that?
(HINT) If an American detector maker ever made a machine using all American made parts ... no one could afford to buy it.

Has anyone actually received one yet ? I also ordered mine the first week in October and pre-paid and I keep getting lead to believe it will be "next week" for the last 3 weeks. I just wish Garrett's would get them shipped so we can rolling on finding out if it will live up to the hype.

resistors, capacitors, printed circuit boards, and ICs are cheap to make and are MADE IN AMERICA... see my post below for just a few links. I don't know where people got the idea that we no longer make the stuff here... I guess they read it on the internet... and of course everything you read onn the internet is true, right? Everything in one of these detectors can be produced in the USA and there are businesses waiting for the order... so, yes... if it says "made in America" it should be Made in America.

Then again, most of use are smart enough to know the difference... you opened the machine and said... "what? I thought this was made in America..." maybe the sticker is made in America...
the problem is that we really don't care if it saves us 50 bucks. If it mattered to us we wouldn't shop at Walmart, we would be happy to pay extra for a detector truly made in America.
Maybe some detectors really are, I don't know. I certainly know it is possible. A detector made in Oregon claims to be made in America... i've never opened one to see but I wonder.

I'm not going to let it bother me but neither am I going to believe that it isn't possible to buy the parts from American parts manufacturers.

Julien