Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab service was super quick only a 6 day turnaround.....

GKMan

Friday Aug 12, 2016, 2:33 PM
Sent message to Minelab stating I had the dreaded Coil not detected message.

Aug 12, 2016, 3:07 PM
Received message from Jamie that I was in luck since my coil was still just barely in warranty. She asked for a a mailing address and phone number and would get an RMA out to me.

Aug 12, 2016, 3:20 PM
Sent Jamie a message and got the RMA number. Detector was in the mail shortly afterwards.

Monday Aug 15, 2016, 12:28 PM
Message from Jamie they received the coil

Tuesday Aug 16, 2016, 10:56 AM
Message from Thomas at Minelab that replacement coil is in the mail.

Aug 16, 2016, 11:47 AM
I had a question about the repair

Aug 16, 2016, 11:57 AM
Thomas answered the question

Thursday 8/18/2016 3:19 pm
Replacement coil is delivered..

Way to go Minelab!

Glad they took care of your problem so fast, that is typical of the times I had to avail myself of their services.

strick said:
That's nice they took care of you so fast....took me almost 6 weeks to get my 3030 back.

strick

Big difference in sending in a bad coil for replacement, and the entire detector for repair. In that case, the difficulty of the repair, how many are ahead of you, etc., are all factors.

MI-AuAg said:
strick said:
That's nice they took care of you so fast....took me almost 6 weeks to get my 3030 back.

strick

Big difference in sending in a bad coil for replacement, and the entire detector for repair. In that case, the difficulty of the repair, how many are ahead of you, etc., are all factors.

Definitely a big difference. Nonetheless, the communication and turnaround time couldn't have been better or faster unless they overnighted it back to me.

GKMan said:
MI-AuAg said:
strick said:

strick

Definitely a big difference. Nonetheless, the communication and turnaround time couldn't have been better or faster unless they overnighted it back to me.

Not intended to trivialize the service you received GKMan. Merely pointing out the difference in type of service, and the possible reasons for subsequent difference in turnaround times.

MI-AuAg said:
GKMan said:
MI-AuAg said:
strick said:

strick

Not intended to trivialize the service you received GKMan. Merely pointing out the difference in type of service, and the possible reasons for subsequent difference in turnaround times.

I understood what you were saying and was agreeing with you. I can understand the frustration folks may have if they have to wait six weeks like Strick did.... When I first bought the CTX just when it came out, I had a problem right out of the box ( external speaker was muffled). That turnaround time was maybe two weeks? That time they went above and beyond what they had to do regarding a specific thing I needed. I guess I have been fortunate to always have had good experiences with them..

I too consider myself fortunate. In the three yrs I've owned my CTX, I've needed no repairs. (knock on wood!)

Shortly after receiving mine, I emailed the Chicago office expressing a mild displeasure over not including a hardcopy manual with the machines. A couple days later, I received one in the mail from them.

Wow, I haven't heard of them doing that before... It's the little things that go a long way. As long as they aren't too little too late...

Three Years! We should see you more over here at the CTX forum being a gold and silver guy..

GKMan said:
Wow, I haven't heard of them doing that before... It's the little things that go a long way. As long as they aren't too little too late...

Three Years! We should see you more over here at the CTX forum being a gold and silver guy..

I think I may be the ONLY one who has a hardcopy manual from Minelab. I was conversing with a new owner on another forum a little over a year ago. He expressed the same displeasure over having no hardcopy manual included with the machine. I suggested he email the Chicago office as I did. NOTHING. My hardcopy manual may someday be a collectors item, a one of a kind. :)

I've been fortunate to make some nice finds. I've only taken one picture of any of my finds though. That was a sterling silver and turquoise ring, found in my own yard. I texted the pic to my oldest daughter.

I've seen many of your incredible finds GKMan! You're fortunate to be detecting in an area with such history. My oldest coin is an 1847 seated 1/2 dime. I would love to find a 1700's coin! In Michigan unfortunately, those type of finds are extremely rare.

Yeah, hang on to that copy!...
Those are some nice finds you have made! I think you are out in token country? We honestly don't get as many of those around here. I guess stores did business differently out this way.

Thanks.Great Great Great Great Grandpa GKman settled here long ago and made sure to drop lots of coins for me to find today...

The rings and bling are always nice to find, and I've found my share of those, but the finds with history are the ones that I really like.

A friend of mine has property where an old logging camp was in the early 1900's. I found a fully intact pocket watch there. The location seemed to be at a trash dump, as it was in with old rusted metal and tin cans. I could envision the camp cook dumping trash, and his pocket watch at the same time. Would've loved to have kept it, but since it was his property and that history is attached to it, I thought it best for him to have it. If it was a gold coin, I would have kept it. The chances of a logger having a gold coin in his pocket aren't too good. A gold coin is probably the most coveted find for many detectorist's.

Sorry GKMan, I seem to have hijacked your thread. It was about Minelab service.

Ha, it's my thread, we can do what we please!

Good for you, giving it back to the landowner. A gold coin would definitely be hard to give up.

Good talking to you.
HH!

Great talking with you GKMan! Hope you get to experience the excitement of finding a bunch more of those great old coins! Enjoy that CTX, I know I sure do.

Minelab has always done their best to get it done, and done right, IMHO. I agree about the coils. I was told that if the coil, or wiring, is bad, they dont repair, they ship out a new one. A month ago I sent in a stock mid size coil because of split wiring at the grommet are where the cable enters the coil head. Got that back in one week. Friend sent in an E-trac that was refusing to detect anything deeper than an inch, would not even pick up a coin in the air at 2 inches. The E-trac is supposed to be on the bench in 2 more weeks. So he is looking at about a 5-6 week turn around. As I understand it, the repair center is at Kellyco, but Kellyco, the company, is really not involved at all in the repair, or transactions that take place. So, always best to call Minelab repair center, even though Kellyco says on their web site to call them first before sending in a machine.

Hi Sube,
That was the 11 inch coil.

Hi Jas,
I think the coil flooded. I noticed a crack in that protective flexible part at the end where the wire enters the coil. I am not sure how much that part has to do with waterproofing the coil, but I don't think it is any coincidence this happened after water hunting...

I worked through Minelab service, not Kellyco..

It seems that the stock coil go's bad compared to the 6 and 17 I know I used my 6 inch coil 10 times as long as the stock but the stock coil failed the first year I owned it . sube

I have all 3 Minelab coils and two of them had the grommet area split near the coil. The 6" ws out of warranty and it is not repairable so I just did the repair myself. It aint purty, but it works. The mid size was under warranty and I will put the same repair on it and the 17". Took a piece of thinwall pvc, about 1/2 inch tall, slid it over the coil cable to the coil head, superglued it there, then filled with silicon glue. Been dunked numerous times since and even with all the flexing it gets while hunting, still no splitting of the silicon.