Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:minelab: the eBook, "Understanding your X-TERRA", is available FREE :minelab:

Hi, Digger I down loaded the book 2 weeks ago, What a difference it made in the way i understand and work my Ext 505. I'm finding a lot more coins a lot faster now.
Thank you.

Thanks for the comments. It is always good to hear that the information you share is beneficial to others. HH Randy

Randy...... Great book and much more info than the stock manual. Can't thank you enough for making a simple explanation on how to use the 705 most effectively.
Just moved from Pa..... Now i have to get used to this rock hard Arizona ground.
Joe

I have tried and tried for months to download the E book for the Xterra, and my computor won't do it. I would be willing to pay someone a nominal fee to print it and mail it to me.

Excellent read with tons of great information! My hats off to you Randy. Thanks for putting all your time in to help others out!

I sent you a link to download a free "PDF viewer file from Acrobat. I also emailed you a copy of the book file on PDF format. Let me know if you were able to view it. HH Randy

My pleasure! Thanks for the kind words. HH Randy

Digger, After reading your e-book again, (third time through) I am leaning towards hunting the way you set your machine. By using this method, do you feel I am setting myself up for a very long learning curve?

MoRelic55 You also know this machine very well. My intent here is to force myself to learn the 705's language, and not be a total slave to the screen.

Anyone other seasoned 705 users, I would also like your thoughts also Thanks.

If your hearing is good and you can distinguish between the tones assigned to each notch segment (at least within a notch or two), there shouldn't be much learning curve. Instead of looking at the numbers to determine the target value, you simply let your ears tell you whether you need to slow down and dig, or pass it by. For guys like me who hunt primarily for old coins at old sites..........Low tones - go on.............. Mid Tones - stop and investigate the TID number........ High tones -DIG! By passing up the low tones and digging the high tones, (and only visually checking those in between) I'd almost guarantee it will increase your number of finds simply by increasing the time you spend swinging the coil, opposed to continually looking at the meter. HH Randy

Digger,
You mentioned the 6" concentric coil was too hot on page 50. I was also hoping for better coil separation too.
I don't have a 6" DD to compare it to. Should I trade it for a DD?
Do you recommend backing off the sensitivity or would that make much difference on the junk?
Thanks for your help on all levels,
Jay

Backing off the Sensitivity will diminish the target response on all targets and not really address the issue of adjacent targets. My preference for target separation is to have a more narrow field of detection, as provided by DD coils. As to whether you should trade your 6-inch concentric for a 6-inch DD, that is entirely up to you. But for target separation, I've not found anything that works better for me than the 6-inch DD, even if it isn't my favorite frequency for old silver coins. HH Randy

On the subject of DD coils and searching for coins, would you rather use the 10.5 DD MF or the 6" DD HF.Given the soil was average and the trash amount was average.
I realize the 6"DD has good target separation, so do you like it better if the coins closer to the surface? Does the 10.5 DD MF perform good for you using your separation technique?

I prefer the smaller 6-inch DD for coin hunting. Although both are DD coils and the "field of detection" is narrow (down the center), the 6-inch coil provides better target separation due to its smaller diameter. Think of coil coverage as the face of a clock..... if targets are at 3:00 and 9:00, each coil will perform similarly. However, if two targets art at 12:00 and 6:00, the smaller coil may allow you to work each of them separately, whereas the larger coil will be more apt to detect them both at the same time. As I've said many times, I prefer the MF and LF frequencies for silver and copper coins. But since the small DD is only currently available in the high frequency, I'll take maximum target separation over any differences I find in the audio response when using the HF coils. But I'd still like a LF coil in a small DD design. (the best of both worlds) HH Randy

Digger,
I have the X-TERRA 705 and want to know your start-up tuning procedure.
Do I first set the noise cancel, sensitivity, ground balance, threshold, volume, ETC.
Which ones are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,,,,, last?? I just started doubting myself.
I have no problem with the settings but want to get the sequence right .
Thanks Again,

I cover this pretty thoroughly in my book, beginning on page 9. But briefly, I always run my volume full bore. If I need to adjust it, I use the volume controls on my headphones. I set my Threshold so it is just barely audible. The only time I reset my Threshold is when I switch headphones. So that leaves Noise Cancel, Sensitivity, Ground Balance. And that is the order I set them. Noise Cancel is dependent on the site. You can't get an accurate Sensitivity setting or GB if you are getting outside interference. So once you neutralize the effects of the electrical interference with NC, set you Sensitivity at the highest setting you can tolerate, without undue chatter or falsing when you sweep. After you set your Sensitivity, it is time to set the ground phase to offset the effects of magnetic mineralization. (Ground Balance). That's it.

Now, until you get familiar with the audio sounds of your X-TERRA while ground balancing, I recommend that you set your Sensitivity at a level about mid-range on the scale. Then set the ground balance. After setting the ground balance, raise the Sensitivity to a point that it is just below where it causes false signals. As I said, after you've learned what the GB sounds are, you really don't have to lower the Sensitivity to set the Ground Balance. JMHO HH Randy

THANKS A MILLION,
I should have looked closer in your eBook. I just got n a hurry and missed page 9.
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
HH, Jay

Thanks! I appreciate it. HH Randy