Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:minelab: the eBook, "Understanding your X-TERRA", is available FREE :minelab:

Thanks Digger

Im looking for better depth, better Audio tones and better target Id, I have both coils for the AT, 5x8 and 8.5x11, better unmasking in the foil pulltab areas.

Depth, tones and TID

When using coils of comparible size, I find the depth of detection to be very similar with the X-705 and ATPro. Larger coils will generally detect deeper than a smaller coil. I say "generally" because much depends on the coil design and soil matrix. But honestly, depth of detection doesn't always prove beneficial. Your part of the Country is similar to mine in that we haven't been settled as long as the folks back East or down South. My area wasn't settled until the mid-1850's, with no appreciable poplulation for a few years after that. As such, I've come to the conclusion that there are more old targets still hiding due to masking, than due to extreme depth. And for those areas, a quality mid-sized or small coil will produce many more "keeper" targets than a larger coil.

If you want monster depth, a Coiltek 15- inch All Terrain coils are probably the deepest seeking coils you can buy. Put one of those on the X-705 and you have a depth monster. But with the 15-inch diameter, you are covering a lot of ground with each sweep. And naturally, the more ground you cover, the greater the chances for adjacent targets. Then it becomes a matter of separation. Being able to work the coil slowly is a big help. And as I said in my previous response, I've found I can sweep the X-705 more slowly than the ATPro, with better results. But it is still tough to sweep that big of a coil in a congested area, and hope to pull that small ring amonst the trash. The only places I use the bigger coils is in open fields (former farmsteads) and athletic fields. Once I identify where the house was located, I switch off to a smaller coil. With that in mind, if I were going to suggest specific coils for the X-705, in places you indicate you will be hunting, they would be smaller DD coils than the 15-inchers. In my moderately mineralized soil, I can use the stock concentric with no problem. And frankly, I get more depth from it than I can the 10.5-inch DD. If I use a DD in parks or yards, I prefer to use either the elliptical DD of one of the 6 inch DD coils. The elliptical covers more ground....the 6-inch coils separate better. Since you are looking for jewelry and coins, if you decide to get a 705, I'd suggest you get what they call the Gold Pack....it comes with a stock 5X8 elliptical DD at 18.75kHz. Then if you want to add another coil, you might consider either the 6-inch HF Minelab coil, or the 6-inch LF Coiltek coil. Either will provide excellent depth and superior separation. And both will find anything metal. The HF coil is a bit better at identifying smaller gold jewelry. And the LF coil is better at pulling coins from places loaded with highly ferrous trash (nails etc).
More information from tones........hands down.....the X-705 has one for each notch segment.

TID......you have more numbers on the ATPro than you do the X-705. However, as I mentioned, I hunt by ear. When I hear a signal that requires further investigation, I follow my three rules of consistency. (as written in the eBook). I can cover much more ground in a given period of time, by not having to look at a display to confirm a target, every time it beeps.

With the metallic content of pulltabs and the way they can be bent around, and the various alloys used in jewelry, no detector will be able to sort them all out. And although I am a big fan of Minelab detectors, that even applies to my ETRAC and CTX3030.

I would suggest that you could benefit from using an X-TERRA, for the reasons I've mentioned in these two posts. Of course, after having the success I have with mine, I am a bit biased. This may come as a surprise to you.......but if you are comforatable with your ATPro and you've had success with it, you might consider keeping it and buying the small sniper coil. Like I said, it is a good detector. Keeping it and getting a smaller coil would allow you to get in beteen the trash much better than the coils you currently have. You'll still have to rely on the TID to differentiate targets. You still won't have Tracking or GB Offset. And you aren't going to get any more tones. But buying an accessory coil is a lot cheaper than buying a new detector. That is a decision only you can make.

If you do get an X-TERRA, I don't think you'll be disappointed in your choice. Just make sure that, if you get a new one, buy the Gold Pack. As I said, it comes with the HF DD coil. And for the places you hunt, it might be the only coil you'll need. JMHO

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. HH Randy

Thanks Digger,

Great info and gives me some thing to think about, I dont use my AT much for coin hunting the tones just dont work for me, I use it around old houses with lots of nails and for water hunting.
I hunt by ear alot and there are alot of good detectors that just dont work for my hearing, nothing against any metal detector made I just like a detector that talks to me in away that I can understand.
Think I might give the 705 a try and see how it works, theres not many Detecting shops here in Utah so even hearing one in a store wont happen.

Thanks for all your help

Randy

Hello Digger, or anyone that can help me out :please: Does any one have a PFD of this book? I have tried time after time to download this book through MineLab, I register like requested, then they e-mail you a link to click on, Problem is I never get a link sent? And it's not in junk folder. The strange thing is they e-mail me a news letter type ad every month?? screwy Thanks! Jay jaydubay@msn.com

pecor said:
Hello Digger, or anyone that can help me out :please: Does any one have a PFD of this book? I have tried time after time to download this book through MineLab, I register like requested, then they e-mail you a link to click on, Problem is I never get a link sent? And it's not in junk folder. The strange thing is they e-mail me a news letter type ad every month?? screwy Thanks! Jay jaydubay@msn.com
Check your e-mail. :thumbup:

You're welcolme Jay. Thanks for the comments, and thanks to OLH for sending the file! I've contacted Minelab to let them know there seems to have been a problem with downloads. HH Randy

Digger, thank you for your hard work and the ebook. It has been a great help to me as I am only a year into detecting now. I have some great finds but have figured out how to post pictures of the right size yet. Keep s saying there to large.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad the book has helped you. To post a picture, you'll need to reduce the size to be no larger than 420KB. To do that, I run mine though a photo program in Office. If you don't use Office or don't have a specific photo program, you can find several free photo-shop type programs online. HH Randy

Digger, I have the same problem as pecor. No way to down load the eBook. I have tried for the last week and still no luck. I tried contacting Minelab US with no real help with getting signed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Introduce yourself Bill, and post a few more times to be eligible to send/receive PM's. Then we can get together and I'll e-mail you a copy.

I'm a Retired Helicopter pilot from California. I just purchased a xterra 705 and wanted to get a jump on understanding how they work and how to work them. I have several 1930 built houses that i want to "mine", explore etc. I live in the Gold Country and am looking forward to "Prospecting" some of the local creeks. I look forward to picking every ones brains for ideas and techniques. Bill

OK Bill, I've uploaded it to my OneDrive for folks like yourself to download.
It's available HERE.

hello, i download and read your ebook, it make a difference there is a before and a after. I now detecting in all metal and With 99 in sound, i found more coins, the verticals ones you know what i mean :)
It is fresh so i will continue and give later my impressions

thanks again

I had been treasure hunting since 1964 and had used many detectors. This detector may be the best but very hard to learn how to use it. Best of luck from Stratford Connecticut.

:stretcher:

Thanks. :detecting: I'm glad you liked my book, and appreciate your kind words. Best of luck in your hunts. HH Randy