Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My finds from Dec 17 & 18 while seeking silver coin #80 for 2014 :detecting:

Ytcoinshooter

Finds from Dec 17th & 18th. Wednesday 12/17 was perfect for digging at 50 degrees with some sun. Looking for silver coin #80 on the year I went to a park that has been hit hard lately by several detectorists . I met 3 different hunters there this year and we compared notes re what we've found there. It's a small park compared to the others in the area but had been mostly overlooked for years. I dug about 20 silver coins, a few tokens, a large cent and several nice pieces of Sterling jewelry. I know one guy pulled about 50 silver coins from one hillside. It's real hard now to find a single silver or a few wheat cents. I'm always surprised when a place as obvious gives up this much here in 2014.
Here's Wednesday's finds:the large disc is lead and had me chasing what I hoped was big silver. A mid 20th century merchant marine P- coat button. Just saw one here in a post. This one was made in Waterbury Ct. A small Sterling pin that rang up like a dime appears to have had something attached to the front. The reverse shows a makers mark got my second Ike dollar this year I dug a couple of wheat cents from the 20's and two later dates. Being on a mission for my 80th silver coin and not finding it I decided to go back Thursday bundled against the wind and temps in the 30's. A nice clean silver dime hit on the ole V at 6 inches Anything after that would be gravy. Just as I was losing daylight I get another dime hit and this ring was down 5 to 6" . I came away with a Sacagawea dollar and a couple 20's and later date wheats again.
The big bracelet was partially hidden and cleaned up nice, probably lost in the last week as I frequent this spot because it's minutes away and would have found it if it was there on my last visit. Well I don't know what the few remaining days of this year hold if I get out to swing but I did ok so far and may post up some totals. With 80 silver coins on this year and 8 being half dollars that ratio alone was something I wouldn't have anticipated. I hope you all had as much satisfaction chasing signals as I did. I've become really comfortable with my 2 main coin hounds the ATPro & V3i. I also rechecked all this years productive old coin spots with my Sov GT. I usually keep beating up in a site until I have a couple of successive empty hunts - where I don't get squat before moving on.
HH - (Happy Holidays) & HH - Bruce

Wow that's a great story. You have to be one of the most productive hunters on the forum. Excellent year for you. Congratulations, hope you get a couple more hunts in. Good luck.

Thanks quicksilver for the kind words. This hobby / sport can be real humbling (for all the times I've stuck out or worse) and I've learned to appreciate the many aspects of being involved in it beyond the material finds. The people I've met that I can count as friends and joy of being able to persue it in good health, being outside and active are just a few. I do have a competitive nature, I was 29 when I got hooked on detecting with my 6000 Di Pro and now over 28 years later the entusiasm is even greater.
HH - Bruce

A very nice mixed bunch of finds - good job !

Congrats on the 80+!:clapping: Warming trend coming you may be able to knock down some more yet this year! Is that heavy mans bracelet silver too? 8 silver halfs is really something..that big BarberHalf you found in the sand this year was awesome!:thumbup:
Mud

Nice bunch of finds yt...80 silvers is a major accomplishment...in a really good year im lucky to find 8... i like your detecting strategy with the 3 different units...do you ever miss the 6000 ? any hunts we can get in this time of year are a blessing.. happy hunting....congrats ...

There are times I get nostalgic re my 6000 Di Pro & Pro plus that were my first two units. However after moving onto the Eagles and having all of the top tier Whites over the years I'm really not looking back. I keep an IDX Pro for competition hunts and to use with my Sierra Eliminator coil when I need it to ignore power lines. The 6.59 kHz units are great tools (like your 5900 for micro bling) but there is a big difference between the the 4 filter and two filter units when I'm heavy trash - again why that IDX Pro is still with me...plus a frequency knob & black sand - beach switch. I do remember having problems with the analog meter needle on the 6000 hanging up and being non responsive while still sounding off on targets. I really fell in love with Whites computerized units way back and the old analog units did not have tone ID that I depend on. I could ramble on endlessly about the virtues and flexibility of Whites digital, computerized detectors.
HH - Bruce

That warming trend is coming with heavy rain Tuesday-Wednesday, Thursday is a holiday (Food!) so we be making the rounds seeing folks....that leaves Friday. Yeah, mid forties and dry is that forecast, yup a detecting day. My stepson & I have tentative plans to get his coil over something good for him Friday. Now tomorrow (Monday) I plan to get out to detect, upper 30's and my sweetie just bought me some lined / insulated jeans for my chilly hunts - I love that woman! Considering poking around a large park that dates from the 1880's. It's pounded BUT I have patience and a different array of detectors than when I used to hit in the 1980's & early 90's.
Mud, Hope you make some great finds to cap off your December.
HH - Bruce

Great finds as usual, waiting to get out again, had to work the past 3 nights so Im itchin to get out again. Cant wait to see yer next post. HH

Bruce, Very good finds, Congratulations on your 80 silver, and that Ike is a great trophy.:clapping:
I like your work and your post. Thanks for sharing.

I've never tried my Sov GT on earth, only use it on the beach ...:confused::beers:

Thanks for your insight and experience on your whites detectors... i have had the meter needle hang up problem as well and determined it to be caused by static build up from rubbing dust off in a back and forth motion however if you wipe it in a circular motion instead it is less likly to cause the problem..weird i know ...happy hunting..

I hope the weather holds up for you. I missed my chance today then the rain set in. Hopefully i can get some detecting in on this week off. Great finds!

You nailed it regarding static causing the needle to hang. That's what I was told back then, it drove me nuts. The problem would remain for more than a day, I couldn't correct it in the field either. I tried everything my dealer suggested. When the Eagles came out I tried the first one, my dealer wanted feedback from a heavy user. That first Eagle was unstable so I kept the 6000 Pro Plus a while longer. Then I got to test the Eagle with the update chip and later the Eagle 2 (blue boxes). What a difference! Stable, reliable, tone ID and a light over the display - wow, a huge improvement. I found a 1920 SL quarter a little over 6 inches deep with a solid VDI, it was directly beneath where home plate was on a ball field from the '20's. No more hanging needles for me! I eventually bought an Eagle 2 SL 90.5 and used it 12 years as my main land unit.
HH - Bruce

Thanks Senda. I bought the Sovereign GT mainly for beach use. I like the stock 10" coil but found it is easier to learn how to use it on land with my S8 (8inch) coil. It has been great tool, often finding coins with correct VDI (meter for land use) in soil that causes the signals to be skewed on another detector. I have two friends who use the GT as thier only land unit and they are very proficient with it. I saw one of them pull an 1842 quarter from 10 inches deep at a club hunt that others walked over. Turned out to be a valuable date in high grade from the Philadelphia mint.

Nice finds Bruce. That park still is worth hunting. I might go there Sat afternoon. Good luck and hope to get out on a hunt with you either soon or in the spring. Enjoyed meeting and talking to you, Mike from Bristol.

Hey Mike, nice to hear from you…I figured you would find me. Glad we met and I'm sure we will get to hunt together. It is always enlightening to talk to others who have hunted the same turf. In our town there are at least 8 active hunters who are club members and several others who are not members that are active detecting. There is a Finds forum member who I've only met on here via messaging that lives in town that I'd like to chat with over a cup of coffee, he's pulled some nice old 19th century coins from parks. In fact I've seen his posts of great finds for a couple of years, never forgetting his screen name because it was so original and descriptive "earthlypotluck". You mentioned you are close to retirement and this is a great way to spend it.
Happy Holidays & HH
Bruce

I got a good laugh Bruce. When I was thinking of my screen name I was thinking, "I could be another Jim" Or "Jim from CT" etc. Naaa This hobby is really "potluck" as we just never know what we are going to find and where we are going to locate it. Since we are all digging into the earth, I figured why not "earthlypotluck"

You made some very nice finds Bruce. I especially love the merchant marine button.

:rofl:

Ytcoinshooter said:
..... never forgetting his screen name because it was so original and descriptive "earthlypotluck". . Bruce

Jim, Now that is funny you coming in on the post right after I mention you. Sometime we got to meet up. Too funny...:rofl:

Excellent finds, Bruce! 80 silver coins in one year is certainly a reflection of your determination and skill. I haven't figured out my count for the year yet but I know that it was a good year for me too (and it's not over yet!). I was helped quite a bit by my "mega coin spill" where I dug 35 silvers in one very small area.

I really like your Claddagh ring. In the event that you or others don't know the significance of that ring, I thought that I would share this info:

"The Claddagh's distinctive design features two hands clasping a heart, and usually surmounted by a crown. The elements of this symbol are often said to correspond to the qualities of love (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown).

The way that a Claddagh ring is worn on the hand is usually intended to convey the wearer's romantic availability, or lack thereof.

Traditionally, if the ring is on the right hand with the heart facing outward and away from the body, this indicates that the person wearing the ring is not in any serious relationship, and may in fact be single and looking for a relationship: "their heart is open."

When worn on the right hand but with the heart facing inward toward the body, this indicates the person wearing the ring is in a relationship, or that "someone has captured their heart".

A Claddagh worn on the left hand ring finger facing outward away from the body generally indicates that the wearer is engaged.

When the ring is on the left hand ring finger and facing inward toward the body, it generally means that the person wearing the ring is married."

I treasure my Claddagh wedding ring which my wife purchased for me in Dublin.
Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel