Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first gold coin in

Larry (IL)

25 years of detecting. Today was a perfect day to go hunting and I had my eye on a wooded hillside next to an early 1800's cemetery. Nancy wanted to go to some playgrounds to hunt, so off to the playgrounds we go. Good call honey. It wasn't long into the hunt when I got a +43 VDI and switching to Analyze, it showed a good clean signal. I pinpointed and dug down three inches and I saw an odd colored foreign coin. It didn't take long to see the date of 1876 and then it hit me that I had just found my first gold coin EVER. I guess almost any detector could have found this coin but doing the "happy dance" with the cordless headphones sure was nice. :clapping:

WOW WOW WOW WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE CONGRATS LARRY NICE

And what a beauty! I still can't wipe the smile off of my face. See how it "pays" to listen to your wife! :twodetecting::cheekkiss: :poke::rofl: BIG congratulations Larry and I am so happy to have been a part of it. It's your turn to buy. :cheers: HH to all, Nancy

That Sir will get you a spot in White's HEART !!! AND $100 coupon :)

Jerry

Thanks Bryan, but I read your post on PATH and you have me beat with that 1871 IH in VF or better condition. Congratulations to you my friend.

WTG Larry

Very nice find ......I never found a Gold coin in my 22+ years of detecting....... and you found the coin at a Kiddie park?

Yea, of all places. Nancy found a 1963 one shilling shortly after my find and not too far from my find either, so my guess is some parent is pretty upset to find some of his foreign coins are missing from his collection....:shrug:

What a great find......Just by your smile we can tell that you did good. It appears to be French and has "20" on the back side....what kind of coin is it. Did you weigh it yet.
Dennis

Great job Larry very nice coin:clapping:

Hi,

As most folks know I like to chase gold. But I've never found a gold coin. Anchorage was founded in 1916 and most of the older portion of town is paved over. Just not the best place to look for gold coins although there must be a couple out there. So still on my to do list. Good for you - congratulation!

Steve Herschbach

What a fantastic find! I can't wait to start understanding my Vision better so I can report some good finds as well.

Thanks for the good photos and happy hunting into the future!

Mike

What a wonderful find and awesome story and photos. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

I was still so excited while writing I forgot some details. It is a French, 20 Francs with an A mint mark, minted in Paris. Not in too good of shape plus I dinged it not once, but twice right above the rooster on the obverse Dennis. I would have never expected a gold coin, let alone an old one in a grade school playground or I would have been more careful. I didn't weight it, but new they weigh .18 something of an ounce. Just under a 1/5 oz.

Congrats on your first. This is my first visit to the Vision forum, and as a loyal DFX user (for now) I will be monitoring this forum closely. This is the first post I read, and I am already impressed!!

Congrats!
Neil

Thanks Neil. If you are impressed already, wait until you see what all the Vision does...I bet you get one.........:thumbup: