Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need A Bullet ID

Could it be some type type of a lead stopper? Trying to think outside the box......”grease grooves” could seal the hole and the flared top would set depth????
I found it in a farm field in central Illinois where a church was supposedly located in 1912. Couldn’t find any evidence of the church and this was basically the only old thing I found.

I considered some type of stopper also but the edges are rounded. There also is no apparent rifling marks. Lead was used for so many things in the past.

I’d say it’s a bullet....... it wouldn’t be the first time that someone created a bullet cast for their own special design... it may have incorporated a paper patch, gas check, lube or any combination of features the person loading it wanted to use....anybody remember the “rocket pistols” of the early 60s???

I hunted four hours pioneering two new permissions with my newbie cousin who just got his 800 and found only trash and one cool looking bullet. Wasn’t very impressive for the newbie lol.

The good news is we think we now have over 2000 acres of new area to hunt. so now the research really starts.

I think this bullet is an older one. It looks similar to a minieball but way different too. And it has the white lead oxide on it like they do.

I would appreciate your thoughts on it!

View attachment 15473View attachment 15472View attachment 15471
I know its not the same but this is a rare NC bullet that in a way reminds me of your bullet. I have 2 that were found in Eastern North Carolina. I asked a very knowledgeable person about your bullet and he said basically the same thing.
Yours could have been carved or made in a modified mold.

Attachments

• 20180319_190413 (1).jpg
    20180319_190413 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • 20180319_190427.jpg
    20180319_190427.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
I’d say it’s a bullet....... it wouldn’t be the first time that someone created a bullet cast for their own special design... it may have incorporated a paper patch, gas check, lube or any combination of features the person loading it wanted to use....anybody remember the “rocket pistols” of the early 60s???
You made some good points... it certainly does look like a bullet..? But my experience says no.

The rocket pistols of the early 1960s that you referred to, we're from the Gyrojet company. They made a semi-automatic pistol and rifle version. I've owned both the rifle and the pistol and there pieces of junk... very inaccurate, But very fun to shoot.! But they are very interesting. 🤔 As a cartridge collector the ammunition is very collectible and valuable. But I liked your post. 😊