Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help... E-Trac won't work... acts strange.. lemme 'splain.

jbow

I decided to take a walk in the woods today with the E-Trac. I put new batteries in the AA holder and tried to turn it on.
It barely gets started, just makes a sort of hybrid clicking/eh sort of sound, no tones, the coil picture starts to swing from the left, swings about 1/2 inch and starts over with the weird sound... over and over. The screen shows and if I turn it to menu, it will flash the menu screen, over and over while making the weird clicking sound.
Then I tried the rechargeable battery pack... same thing. I tried some older batteries (there was another problem I'll mention below)... same thing. Tried a different coil, same thing, no coil, same thing.

About the batteries... I had a brand new pack of AA batteries I got at Publix. In one side, the side with the spring hidden down in the holder, the batteries barely fit... I mean I had to force them. The old Ray-O-Vac AAs I had fit better but I guess that is just a cheap Chinese battery tolerance problem and since the rechargeable pack didn't work either, well IDK if that is the problem).

I can make a video if no one has any idea what is wrong or what to try.

I tried the old slap the control box (not too hard of course) and that changed a couple of things. When I slapped it on the back, the side facing down the shaft I got an Over Voltage message, I slapped the other side and got a flat battery message.
Do you think both battery packs could need cleaning? It was working a few months ago, no problem and it has been kept in a bag. I usually carry it and a T2 with me in the bag but most of the summer it has been in the garage.

I tried holding the power to get to the factory reset but it just stays caught in the loop. If I hold the light button when I try to turn it on it goes back off.

I've never seen anything like this and have no idea what to try but I do have a multimeter and a few skills. IT is wy out of warranty, I got it when the ET first came out and well, Mineab isn't Tosoro!

Thanks for any help.

Juien

PS... Hello, sorry I've been such a stranger lately but a bad back and passing parents will do that. I still went back in the woods behind the house. Found a shot .22 and what looks like a .32, an old kids cowboy holster, and some sort of metal grate like off an old stove or heater... the cat and I had fun!

I called Minelab support and left them a message. It is still getting in a loop trying to start though now it is also giving a low beep.. and a message Over Voltage with both battery packs.
This makes me thing either a resistor is open or a capacitor is bad .

Anything?

J

I took a chance and opened the control box. On both sides there are plugs with maybe 12 contacts. One was loose. I pushed it back down tight, I noticed another plug in with 5 or 6 contacts came loose, I plugged it back in.
Put the screws back and it works like a champ again. I guess I'll have to be sure to take a screwdriver with me when I got out detecting from now on, just in case. If I find them it loose again it will get a dab of hot glue!
I went ahead and cleaned the contacts on my battery packs while I had it on my mind.

I LOVE my E-TRAC!

Now if I can figure out why these Publix brand batteries wont fit... I guess it's back to Duracell or Ray-O-Vac. I wish we still had those Panasonic batteries. I've never had AAs that were a bit too long. I do now!

I hope this is helpful to someone else sometime... because you KNOW... it is always something!

Happy hunting!

Julien in Cartersville!

Glad you got it going. I use enloop rechargeable in my E-Trac. Going strong for 4 years now. Later on I'm buying the Rnb rechargeable.

Delta Digger said:
Glad you got it going. I use enloop rechargeable in my E-Trac. Going strong for 4 years now. Later on I'm buying the Rnb rechargeable.

Yeah, been using Eneloop's in all my detectors. Those things REALLY hold a charge for a long time.

Julien - Cool, simple fix!

I use the RNB battery in my Explorer or ET and it lasts around 35 or more hours , best thing i have bought for it or them.

Glad you sorted the ET , i thought it might have been the springs in the battery compartment.

Nuke em said:
I use the RNB battery in my Explorer or ET and it lasts around 35 or more hours , best thing i have bought for it or them.

Glad you sorted the ET , i thought it might have been the springs in the battery compartment.
+1 on the RNB battery !!! Best single investment ever made for my E-Trac

I also love RNB as have one for the Etrac and my White's XL-PRO. The nice thing is I can use the same charger. Now if they would make some type of a 9 volt set-up For my CZ's and Nautilus I would have it made!

Kodak brand batteries are also too long. I used to use Energizer AA's alkaline. They lasted a long time. I am now the proud owner of 2 RnB battery packs. One for my Etrac and one for my EXII.