Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Detector for Parks, soil, and relics.. ...Equinox or Deus 2 ?

CoinShooter01

I would like to update to a modern, multi frequency detector.
I would use it in parks, vacant land, fields, etc...
I would never use it in water...
Mostly coins, old and new , as well as recovered jewelry.
Civil war relics to a lesser degree, but mostly coins and silver and gold jewelry in a city park environment.
After 8 months of debating, talking to owners, watching, learning, and studying new machines all spring / summer, I am almost ready to purchase a new machine.
I originally thought a Legend was a good economical choice, but Ive ruled the Nokta legend out due to masking and speaker issues.
That leaves at least 2 other options , including the Deus 2 and Equinox.
After my research, I understand the Equinox 800 would be great for my use, as I will never be in water, and it seems like its a great option.
I also understand the Deus 2 ,might be even better than a Equinox, but also more money, and more complicated.
Im all about simple.
I do not use headphones now , but I do rely on audio tones.
Not sure how I feel about a wireless coil that will need charged often.
Simple is great in my opinion, so Im concerned about charging a Deus coil.
I dont think I need 50 tones...Or do I ?
3 or 5 tones is probably going to be fine in my opinion.
Besides the Deus 2 and the Equinox, are there any better options for me?

Sounds like you are basing Legends “masking issues” on programs before the 09 update. Also the speaker issue is moot if wearing headphones but unless the speaker is defunct then thats moot too. I’ve had no problems with mine

Looking for simple? I’m my opinion since you are looking for multi-frequency and will be coin shooting and jewelry hunting in parks, the equinox 600 or 800 is your best choice. I love my 50 tones and I would not hunt any other way. Once you get to know the machine and it’s nuances in 50 tone setting, it will tell you things the other tone modes can’t.

Nokta is addressing the speakers with a revised source within the next 2 weeks. The masking "issue" is over blown by some pot stirrers. You have waited this long if you want to keep your options open.

I've got a Equinox 800 with the large and small coils and wireless Bluetooth headphones I'm going to sell as soon as I'm able to post in the Trader Forum. I bought the Equinox this spring but I also bought the Legend a month later. I prefer the Legend cause the balance is more to my liking. So if you get a hanker'n for a Nox 800 let me know.

First off, IMHO, CoinShooter01, not using headphones is a mistake. And a bad one! On windy days, planes flying overhead, auto traffic, nearby people talking, lawn mowers, and other forms of outside noises, all can keep you from hearing those deep, faint whispers that more often then not are your better and older finds. Secondly, and just as important, the sounds omitted from a detectors speaker can be noisy and annoying to anyone nearby. And when hunting, I personally want to keep a low profile and not draw attention to myself.

I use a Nox 600 and for kicks, am going to try the Legend. I, too, am all about "simple." With the Nox, whatever type of hunting you do, select a program, noise cancel and start hunting. In time, you may want to fine tune some settings, but if you never did, I don't believe you would miss to much. And the Nox wireless headphones are light weight and work fine. Good luck! HH Jim Tn

My 2 cents:
First I agree with jim tn , no headphones ranks right up there with leaving your trash and walking away from open holes in the things that gives the hobby a bad name.

I had a NOX when they first came out and knew it could not compete with the CTX in a trashy modern park , neither can the Legend but it's head and shoulders above the NOX in build quality and value. I hunt 60 tones and find the target tone (not threshold) frequency adjustment something tthat was severely lacking in the NOX ; that setting makes the Legend's target tones much greater than just 60.

As far as complicated goes , that's a user advantage or error , your choice. I find no need for the endless user settings in the Legend when a simple adjustment of one of the four modes gets you where you need to be , however some people need to have the ability to sell things on ebay and order pizza while out detecting and Nokta almost met that goal as well. I never used the GPS on the CTX in 10 years and some live by it , hopefully the rumored new ML machine will come bare bones and not require a loan to use it.

First off, IMHO, CoinShooter01, not using headphones is a mistake. And a bad one! On windy days, planes flying overhead, auto traffic, nearby people talking, lawn mowers, and other forms of outside noises, all can keep you from hearing those deep, faint whispers that more often then not are your better and older finds. Secondly, and just as important, the sounds omitted from a detectors speaker can be noisy and annoying to anyone nearby. And when hunting, I personally want to keep a low profile and not draw attention to myself.

I use a Nox 600 and for kicks, am going to try the Legend. I, too, am all about "simple." With the Nox, whatever type of hunting you do, select a program, noise cancel and start hunting. In time, you may want to fine tune some settings, but if you never did, I don't believe you would miss to much. And the Nox wireless headphones are light weight and work fine. Good luck! HH Jim Tn
I tried using headphones with my Nox 800 , once. Since the MineLab pinpointer I have DOESN'T sync to the headphones, I'd have to remove the headphones to hear the signal. Used for about 10 minutes and gave up.

Well, sorry to read you’ve ruled the Legend out. Until you get a machine in your hands and use it you won’t know which one you’ll like the best.
Before the Legend and Deus2 came out the Equinox was my go to machine(over 3 yrs) and the Deus was my backup. I had good finds with both those machines. I bought a Legend and it quickly became my go to machine.(I found more targets hiding in the junk with the Legend in a few months than I had using both my other machines for years) Don’t believe everything you see on utube. I traded my Deus in on the Deus2. (because of all the utube hype) That was short lived and I sold the D2.
I can’t tell you what you’ll like the best it could be none of the above so I’ve just shared what works for me. Good luck with what ever you decide.

You could opt for a vanquish 550....4 aa batteries and built pretty good.

Not many controls. Fun and simple.

Or if you want a machine to grow into.....and you have the cash....get get deus 2 with the wsii backphones.

Better ergonomics and lightning fast plus it is deep too.

Easier to set up than the legend.

Yes it takes a bit to wrap you head around everything a deus can do but with the preset programs it really is a turn on and go machine.

Yes equinox is OK.

Another thing is that you have to consider... what part of the USA do you live??

High mineral ground content needs multi freq for sure.

I never had an issue really with the equinox machines I owned other than it did not perform as well as other units I had.

It has a nice large screen though that is easy to see.

Last edited:
Civil war relics to a lesser degree, but mostly coins and silver and gold jewelry in a city park environment.
After 8 months of debating, talking to owners, watching, learning, and studying new machines all spring / summer, I am almost ready to purchase a new machine.
I originally thought a Legend was a good economical choice, but Ive ruled the Nokta legend out due to masking and speaker issues.
After my research, I understand the Equinox 800 would be great for my use, as I will never be in water, and it seems like its a great option.
I also understand the Deus 2 ,might be even better than a Equinox, but also more money, and more complicated.
Im all about simple.
I suspect you are more confused than ever. I have a friend who is a ML dealer who only did the 3030 for years but use the EQ more now mainly for the weight but believes 3030 still deeper and mostly relic hunts where ligher machine better. Still like my D1 for coin hunting but high learning curve and most folk want a SMF machine

Coinshooter,if you want to keep things simple why are you even looking at any of the machines you mention.I'm so glad that many detectorists use detectors with loads of programs,settings etc because the majority haven't got a clue what these different settings are doing to the performance of their machine in real detecting conditions.Its hilarious sometimes to see people in the field fiddling with menus and settings when the settings they are using seem to be failing them.
Most people purchase the latest high tech machines after watching them perform miracles on target tests above the ground.......I have a detector from the eighties that can replicate such tests.....they don't mean a thing.
If you want to keep it simple,stick with what you have if you enjoy using it and are competent with it........switching to the latest multi frequency machine isn't going to miraculously improve your finds rate no matter what the glossy adverts say.😉

I have two machines, the 800 and the D2. I worked my way from a Whites 6000, Excalibur, E-Trac, F75, CTX to the NOx then the D2. Most of the upgrades were for weight and or balance. Both the 800 and D2 are much better balanced than their predecessors. The 800 seems to me to be a lot more intuitive than the D2. I certainly like the tones of the 800 better then the D2. The 800 has been exceptionally reliable with zero issues after more than 3 years use. Have had the D2 for about 4 months now and am still learning it. The D2, at them moment, does not have a 6" coil, so I am not using it in trashy areas. The D2 is 'different' and I have difficulty keeping the damned remote attached to the shaft post. Seems somehow when I push the 'pin point' button, then the 'back' button it wants to flip off. Also. at about 6'1" when the shaft is extended it 'seems' really wobbly! Maybe I am missing something. Anyway, I dont think you could go wrong with either of them. You dont like headsets and I dont either. Wore them too long flying and then as an air traffic controller. I use earbuds with both machines. With Yurbud covers on the speakers. You have to pick up an adaptor to do that with the D2.

Lots of great opinions.
Thank you to all that replied.
A local pro tells me to stay away from the legend, despite a firmware fix might be on its way??
And that Minelab is coming out with another product, but no details that he is aware of yet.
Does anyone here know anything about the new Minelab?

Last edited:
Let me guess; your local pro also sells Metal Detectors and prefers to sell the high dollar machines, right? Also, please tell me exactly what a "pro detectorist" means? If he's anything like Calabash, then I understand your statement. NO earthly reason to "stay away from the Legend" it's a fabulous machine. I prefer it to my Nox 800 at present.

Im all about simple.
I was always a ML and Tesoro person long story short had to get out sold everything years ago now wanted to get a new machine did plenty of research and especially for the money, the Legend was a clear winner.
You basically have three choices that are good. $600,$1000,$1800
The $600 will find 29 out of 30 the $1000 will find and so on.
Now the build quality the $1000 is notorious for leaking. I don’t go in the water per say anymore but nice to know i can get caught in rain or just rinse off the machine and not worry about it.
Features are slightly different. I like the option to put on the external waterproof battery and not run out of battery in any mode and less wear and tear on the internal battery as well.
Linking BT headphones are easily done and the 6” coil is very good and deep.
Weights are all comparable, but really like the option to run in smf or vlf and choices if frequency.
To each his own but for $600 I haven’t run out of holes to dig

Lots of great opinions.
Thank you to all that replied.
A local pro tells me to stay away from the legend, despite a firmware fix might be on its way??
And that Minelab is coming out with another product, but no details that he is aware of yet.
Does anyone here know anything about the new Minelab?
LOL. Again i was a ML person actually think the excalliber II is ine of the best beach machines for the water but for general all purpose the Legend is hard to beat. Sounds like he is feeding you bull, and im sure the new Ml will cost quite a bit and still go through quirks all detectors go through. Every car manufacturer has recalls it just nature of the beast. You cant make stuff especially electronics and never have issues. For $600 price point its been one if the best detectors ive had.
But to each his own on preferences just be careful who you buy from there is one really shady dealer that screws people.
Best of luck