Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New detector

casull454

Alright, I know you guys are a trove of information. I'm hoping I can pick some of those brains out there. I've been giving some thought to purchasing a new detector (currently using an X-Terra 70). I've been giving solid consideration to an Equinox, but also waiting to see what the Nokta-Macro SMF brings to the table (I see it's being released 11/19). Anyway, I've been watching some Equinox videos from the field and wondering if I'm missing something. Watched one last night and the operator dug an IH at about 6" deep. The troubling thing is that his signal kept bouncing from about 19 all the way to 38. I did not see him receive a solid two way signal going completely around the target. I would not have dug that target. With my X-Terra, I don't dig targets unless I can get a repeatable signal from two directions. Am I just holding out for too much and missing good targets? Now, l know this is the Equinox forum, but what are your thoughts on the Nokta-Macro? I am interested in one given the rave reviews of their build quality, especially compared to the Equinox (not real thrilled about spending a grand for a detector and then having to spend another $200 to replace a crappy rod). On the other hand, the couple of videos I watched of the Simplex in action left something to be desired in the tones. Very scratchy and hard on the ears (and here I thought the Minelab "flutey" sounds were bad). Anyway, let me have it. All information and responses are appreciated.

Be careful putting too much stock in how a detector acts/sounds on YT.
Everyone's ground (and EMI/RFI condition) is different from yours....and where one guy might be getting jumpy signals on an IH at 6", another might be seeing solid numbers at 8+.

Unfortunately, the best (and sometimes only) way to see how a detector will work for you, is to actually try one on your sites...
Good luck, and have fun,
:)
mike

Alright, I know you guys are a trove of information. I'm hoping I can pick some of those brains out there. I've been giving some thought to purchasing a new detector (currently using an X-Terra 70). I've been giving solid consideration to an Equinox, but also waiting to see what the Nokta-Macro SMF brings to the table (I see it's being released 11/19). Anyway, I've been watching some Equinox videos from the field and wondering if I'm missing something. Watched one last night and the operator dug an IH at about 6" deep. The troubling thing is that his signal kept bouncing from about 19 all the way to 38. I did not see him receive a solid two way signal going completely around the target. I would not have dug that target. With my X-Terra, I don't dig targets unless I can get a repeatable signal from two directions. Am I just holding out for too much and missing good targets? Now, l know this is the Equinox forum, but what are your thoughts on the Nokta-Macro? I am interested in one given the rave reviews of their build quality, especially compared to the Equinox (not real thrilled about spending a grand for a detector and then having to spend another $200 to replace a crappy rod). On the other hand, the couple of videos I watched of the Simplex in action left something to be desired in the tones. Very scratchy and hard on the ears (and here I thought the Minelab "flutey" sounds were bad). Anyway, let me have it. All information and responses are appreciated.
I’d like to see this video…

the first coin he finds is an 1890 IH cent ?

I watched it. He has things notched out that I never would. Any case, if it’s repeatable like his signal and doesn’t “drop out” or “bleed out” I’m digging. I don’t quite move my coil that fast either. The equinox is extremely sensitive and there could of been ( and most likely iron in the hole) that made it swing widely like it did. TID is important, 50 tones is extremely important. Something else he wasn’t using ( he was using 5 tones) but to each his own. In 50 tones you would get much more information from that target ( tone wise) then what he was getting. To me 50 tones is detrimental 😂 a must have and I thank God Minelab gave the option! The equinox is a super machine and can be setup for many different hunting scenarios.
I can’t comment on the Nokta as I have never own one.
One last thing, take these videos with a grain of salt. Having the equinox in your hands and experiencing the technology is much different. Good luck with your decision.

I cannot give you much input about the new Nokta detector, but I watched that video and one thing I notice is that while swinging back and forth over the target,
In my opinion he is swinging too far past it on each side… I usually swing back and forth just over the target and I find that the TID is not as jumpy.
He may be reading other items close by or bad ground by swinging too far past it.
The deeper the target, the tighter the swing needs to be also to stay over it.
He does not need to swing that fast either.

Last edited:
I cannot give you much input about the new Nokia detector, but I watched that video and one thing I notice is that while swinging back and forth over the target,
In my opinion he is swinging too far past it on each side… I usually swing back and forth just over the target and I find that the TID is not as jumpy.
He may be reading other items close by or bad ground by swinging too far past it.
The deeper the target, the tighter the swing needs to be also to stay over it.
He does not need to swing that fast either.
Great post and I agree 100%

Casull454,
I believe you and I met up and hunted around an old school earlier this year.
If you decide on the Equinox and need some help with it, let me know and I will be glad to meet up with you for a hunt and help you with questions.
Good luck in your decision.

I own 5 of the top minelab machines and top tier whites machines....Just my opinion for me. I love my nox800 because it proves itself. But if you feel a different brand machine suits you give it a try. Its all about what works for YOU.

I've only had 1 Notka a fors for gold, and did not like it. as for the shaft on the Nox, I had mine for 3 years, never had a problem, collapse it and put it in a bag after every use. I think the people who have problems seem to think they must snug the rod as tight as possible, when I was younger perhaps I could twist it until it broke, but now with pins and screws holding my joints together, snug is fine. Same with the ears, people like things tight as possible, I like my coil to float, over tightening they and many brands will snap, I am in the process of making some repair ears for and older minelab gold machine, the owner uses it like a cane.
Quality is always in the eyes of the owner does not matter if it is a Notka,Minelab, fisher,XP or Garrett etc when you learn your machine you will like what you are using.

Once again fellows thank you for your replies, opinions and information. It is much appreciated. Fwcrawford, that was in fact me that you hunted with. Thank you for your gracious offer. If I decide on the Equinox I will certainly take you up on it. Most likely won’t be until spring since I am curious about the new Nokta and want to see what the reviewers say after a couple of months of usage.

I watched it. He has things notched out that I never would. Any case, if it’s repeatable like his signal and doesn’t “drop out” or “bleed out” I’m digging. I don’t quite move my coil that fast either. The equinox is extremely sensitive and there could of been ( and most likely iron in the hole) that made it swing widely like it did. TID is important, 50 tones is extremely important. Something else he wasn’t using ( he was using 5 tones) but to each his own. In 50 tones you would get much more information from that target ( tone wise) then what he was getting. To me 50 tones is detrimental 😂 a must have and I thank God Minelab gave the option! The equinox is a super machine and can be setup for many different hunting scenarios.
One last thing, take these videos with a grain of salt. Having the equinox in your hands and experiencing the technology is much different. Good luck with your decision.
I agree. Minelab did us a big favor by including 50 tones. It was natural for me. My mentor from the Explorer series after first getting into FBS, stuck with me solid for over 4 years. The Equinox with 50 tones as an option? Well, I never even tested any less tones. If ML would only give the Nox series a Smartfind fE/cO display on the next model, assuming ML would still keep the Noxs processing speed. That might be a tall order.

Fifty tones is the way to listem.

You just maybe want to wait a bit longer. The new Deus is about to be announced this week. Looks like a Multifrequency. Considering how light weight the original is, Im hoping the new one will also be light as a feather. Im a beach hunter and nothing but multi-frequency machines work in the salt environment. Its all according to what your needs are. I owned a Simplex and sold it. It didnt work at the beach. Otherwise, its lots of bang for the buck. I have an Equinox 600 and its my one and only for the beach. Has some build issues but was covered under warranty of 3 years.
Just replaced the battery after 3 1/2 years, so other than that, it has worked just fine. Hopefully they will have thicker ears on the next coil.

HH
Donna(NJ)

I’m with you on those 50 tones…. I started out using them out of the box and never looked back.
I don’t even know how to change the tones… I skipped over that part in the manual….:shrug:

I dig those signals all the time and sometimes there is a nail or iron in with a coin.
I found with the nox if you get a iffy signal and your target is off to the side of the hole nine times out of 10 it’s a rusty nail.
Mark