Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Minelab

It becomes a real dilemma for me if the release and performance live up to the hype.:confused:
Do I replace the worn out batteries in my Deus or use it to trade up to the Nox the way it is?
Will it really takes 6 months for Minelab to do the actual release ?,,,,by then I'll be charging my Deus twice a day to get through a hunt.:thumbdown:

one thing is plain to see is that the speed fight is on :poke: fast is the new deep so come on XP lets ramp up the Deus speed for the minelab fan boys and put the foot down on this wannabe machine.

and yes I use the Deus on 5.

Hard to say.

If you can hunt all winter then maybe tough it out and see if the Minelab comes out soon, also depends how much/how difficult it is for you to replace the batteries.

Others have mentioned the Equinox headphones need a modual, Bluetooth might be slower then Deus audio.
Deus has subjectively better audio tones. (More descriptive)
Deus already has freq adjust for all the conventional freqs and already has reactivity. Do you hunt with a 5 reactivity and crave more? (Remember depth loss with reactivity)

You see where I'm going, unless you want/need the FBS option I don't think the Equinox is going to do anything your Deus doesn't do already. I have reservations about the HF trends, time will tell how this pans out for depth in the future.

This launch seems a little more organized then the ATMax announcement so I wouldn't be surprised if it's out sooner then the ATMin.
I like how they didn't give the prototypes out to a bunch of amateur youtube shills for "feedback." I do like Aquachigger, but even he's doing the affiliate nonsense. Boo.
For most I would say it's safe to say it will be out in time for spring, I think I read both Christmas and February release, but I forget which video I saw that in, I don't know if it's accurate.

reality is for me I don't need a new detector and I am not buying something I don't need, what I need is to sell more off not bring them in, unless it can fart stuff out the end of the coil I don't need it, want maybe but I think I have that outta my system..

Blank Planet said:
one thing is plain to see is that the speed fight is on :poke: fast is the new deep so come on XP lets ramp up the Deus speed for the minelab fan boys and put the foot down on this wannabe machine.

I wonder if the reactivity speeds are directly connected to processor speeds.

Equinox being newer would have access to faster more efficient chips then whatever Deus chose a few years back.

enderman said:
Blank Planet said:

I wonder if the reactivity speeds are directly connected to processor speeds.

Equinox being newer would have access to faster more efficient chips then whatever Deus chose a few years back.

yep tech has gone fast in what can fit where in a short time..

hey if its a but kicker I will sell and buy but not selling till I know been down that road before..

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
We'll see how the EQ does on crown caps because the Deus its sucks in that regard.

not going to argue with that..

for me its speed and super ID in that 1st 4 to 5 " is what I use the Deus for its not my deep silver machine sure it finds deep silver in heavy iron better than a minelab FBS add modern trash and it falls over for me against the FBS detectors, so they all have a place now for me (Deus FBS, FBS2) I have to see if Nox fills a gap for me, my point is its going to have to be one very fine machine to fit in my line up..

I figure a couple things...

The machine has at least year before its proven. This I don't believe anyone has an argument against this, due to the fact that water capable machines have a proven history of bad first runs (ctx3030.. 2500$). It will, unless Minelab hits a grand-slam, take at least a year before anyone will know for a certain that the machine is truly water capable in different seasons, temperature ranges and water conditions. Its also not proven in any regard to performance, and I don't mean field performance.. I mean will the batteries crap out, will the software have glitches and it take a year or more for someone to notice that the machine has some rare, odd behavior, will coil connectors and wireless work cleanly without fuss, when the batteries are low will the machine flop.. the list can go on and on..

I know most people believe Minelab will release a quality product..I do as well, I've already sought out my pre-order, but I'm not under any illusions that the machine may have problems, and at the cost to me in terms of time out in the field..

At that, I'll be holding on to my Deus for at least another year..

Re: Deus and crowncaps mentioned earlier - they pretty much soynd like crap with the new coils esp running at 26 khz. Add some silencer @ 14 khz and they break right up and sound like junk too. I walk right iver them. Before the hf coils came out, I was tuning in to the svtle ques the Deus audio provides i.e. crown caps sound slightly holliw or light compared to the solid ping! Iget with coins.

Re limping along with a fading Deus battery while wsiting fir the 'Nox to show up (I have already grown weary of that nickname), just spend the 60 bucks to get the battery replaced by the XP Americas folks - heck it costs less than a Minelab Excal replacement battery module and they do the install.

Minelab seems to be plagued with very poor service of their machines. In fact, if a person were to write up
a book on how NOT to do service issues, ML would be the demonstrable example.. Dictionary definition..poor service; see
Minelab.. :):. I have only heard good things about XP.

Now.. all that being said.. I have three MLs.. 2 excals [one the original sword] and a sox xs.. None of which have ever needed
any warranty work.. But I shudder to think of what would happen if I ever did need any work done

Calm seas

Micheal

Blank Planet said:
We'll see how the EQ does on crown caps because the Deus its sucks in that regard.

for me its speed and super ID in that 1st 4 to 5 " is what I use the Deus for its not my deep silver machine sure it finds deep silver in heavy iron better than a minelab FBS add modern trash and it falls over for me against the FBS detectors, so they all have a place now for me (Deus FBS, FBS2) I have to see if Nox fills a gap for me, my point is its going to have to be one very fine machine to fit in my line up..

Agree, crown caps are kryptonite to the Deus. The odd crown cap is no problem, medium to heavy crown caps Deus fail. Too much time is wasted dealing with them. FBS machines in comparison are so good at isolating and rejecting crown caps while allowing in pretty much every other target they will continue to be my machine for such sites.

I own multiple machines for several types of hunting and site conditions so not a ding on the Deus, a trash filled crown cap park just isn't its strong suit if hunting for high conductor coins. When the HF 9 inch coil arrives this week I may just notch out all the high conductors including the crown caps and unleash the Deus in the trash to hunt gold.

Blank Planet said:

Agree, crown caps are kryptonite to the Deus. The odd crown cap is no problem, medium to heavy crown caps Deus fail. Too much time is wasted dealing with them. FBS machines in comparison are so good at isolating and rejecting crown caps while allowing in pretty much every other target they will continue to be my machine for such sites.

I own multiple machines for several types of hunting and site conditions so not a ding on the Deus, a trash filled crown cap park just isn't its strong suit if hunting for high conductor coins. When the HF 9 inch coil arrives this week I may just notch out all the high conductors including the crown caps and unleash the Deus in the trash to hunt gold.

Did you read my post above or just chose to ignore it/disagree? Crown caps are not an issue for me since I got the hf coil, no red to notch out high conductors. Don't take my word for it, try it out yourself when you get your new coil and tell me what you think before you take drastic measures. However, if you want focus on gold, that's a good approach. I wouldn't do it just to avoid dealing with crown caps. If the site has that problem, it is probably also littered with pull tabs too. While crown caps are no longer an issue for me, I haven't cracked the code on how to tell the difference between a pull tab, nickel, and gold ring. Lol.

The NOX as some have called it, does seem to have several strong points. Price, weight, ergonomics look good, adjust-ability etc.., The comment about Minelab Service could be a hindrance for some.Battery longevity might be another issue. Personally my Deus is holding up well with it's battery life, going on 5 years now and if I ever need the coil battery replaced I can trust the very good XP Americas Service group to carry that out.

If I were going to bet on it, I would say on release let's have Calabash do a You tube review and Comparison to the Deus. Calabash does an excellent job on all of his well executed videos.
He will run this NOX through the ringer and give all of us an honest opinion! It might very well be a very nice detector to own, who knows?

Chase Goldman said:
Blank Planet said:

Did you read my post above or just chose to ignore it/disagree? Crown caps are not an issue for me since I got the hf coil, no red to notch out high conductors. Don't take my word for it, try it out yourself when you get your new coil and tell me what you think before you take drastic measures. However, if you want focus on gold, that's a good approach. I wouldn't do it just to avoid dealing with crown caps. If the site has that problem, it is probably also littered with pull tabs too. While crown caps are no longer an issue for me, I haven't cracked the code on how to tell the difference between a pull tab, nickel, and gold ring. Lol.

I can already ID crown caps with the LF coil on the Deus, the high coin tone is immediately followed by a 'thack' echo like tapping two pieces of wood together. This is similar to FBS machines popping on crown caps, a high tone followed by a POP as the coil comes off the crown cap. The FBS POP is more obvious than the Deus 'thack' which is subtle.

The issue with the Deus is that crown caps ID smack in the middle of high conductor coins. On FBS machines coins ID in Alaska, crown caps ID in Brazil they are that far from each other. Hence I can simply notch crown caps out on an FBS to silence them without any impact on coins, or any other target for that matter. FBS machines have very well isolated crown caps all by their lonesome.

Deeper...when a high conductor coin is hiding very near, even directly under crown caps, when notched out on an FBS machine (specifically Explorer XS, II, SE Pro) it tries to latch onto the coin and will pull the crown cap up out of the notched out area, basically combining the two targets. Can't do that on a Deus. That's a clue to a co-located crown cap/coin.

Crown cap near a coin on the Deus, it can get a hit on both its a fast machine, but since the tone is nearly identical its just way more work on the Deus. Time is a factor in my hunts and I'm wasting a LOT more time with the Deus on crown caps where I waste virtually no time at all with an Explorer on that trash target.

Again its not a ding on the Deus, I purchased the Deus for gold, specifically small gold. Also deep silver and silver coins on edge, but its just not going to work well in medium to heavy crown caps. No problem I'll just use my Explorer SE Pro for crown cap infested sites.

It will be interesting in six months to see if the level of defensiveness of the new Nox owners will be as high as that of Deus owners when it comes to each detectors short comings.

sprchng said:
It will be interesting in six months to see if the level of defensiveness of the new Nox owners will be as high as that of Deus owners when it comes to each detectors short comings.

I'm looking at the Equinox to replace my 8 POUND Excalibur on salt water beaches. I don't really know if the Excalibur weighs 8 lbs, feels like it.