Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Minelab

smkunder

The new Minelab seems to have a lot of similarities with Deus. An interesting machine for sure. Interesting to see how it actually performs in the field.

Just read about the new model, wow looks like a Deus knock off, not programable from computer software though and not as light, not collapsible, control is wired and no quick take off. We will see how it performs and see the price, bet it will be up there.

They are selling the multifreq as a new discovery.....but the ctx and etrac already have it! Whats new?

Mathias said:
They are selling the multifreq as a new discovery.....but the ctx and etrac already have it! Whats new?

That's what gives the CTX/etrac such great ID ability when compared to single freq. machines like the Deus. The actual number of the available frequencies it runs on is still a bit of an unknown. Whether it's 1,2 ,3, or all 4 is really not important , it still should have better ID capability than a single freq. machine like the Deus and probably better depth as well. Pretty good trade off if it's only 3 ounces heavier and may have better balance and swingability not to mention a better selection of coils .:thumbup:

They never say it uses the FBS / BBS circuit and in fact Brandon says it does not. The White's DFX has been multi frequency since 2000 and the VX3 and V#i do as well . . . let's wait to see what it actually offers since that piece of information has been conspicuously absent

Andy

enderman said:
I read where it is a hybrid single freq/FBS, but I don't know the accuracy of this information.

Not very accurate. not BBS , FBS , pulse or hybrid.
Depending on the model , one of either 4 or 6 frequencies or "all of the above".
"All of the above" is what should separate it from the Deus

Good for them in making that machine, it's interesting for sure.

Would I switch back to a Minelab? Well, right now I think the Deus is more versatile, physically speaking. Wireless coils, headphones and remote gives the Deus users more ways to hunt.

Also the Deus fulltones is like the Excalibur which is IMO nicer then the elevator tones for descriptive audio.

I used to swear by FBS, but I still get lots of silver with the Deus and I don't have to deal with salt.

Priced right it would make a nice backup for the Deus, except I don't really need a backup with other coils and headphones around.

If I was being really picky, it would suck to go back to the wire coiled around the shaft and those old school twist locks like on the Tesoros. You know the ones, the ones you havent been able to open since 1995.

I tell you this though, I wouldn't want to be Garret if it's priced any where near the price of the ATMax they are going to feel it. Perhaps that is why they rush to put a new decal on the ATPro.

If they sell the machine for around $800 USD it would become the new center of the universe in the metal detector market. It would compete with machines costing much less and much more.

it sounds like a cheap detector and I mean the noise it makes..

I don't need a new detector still selling some off !!

I see what they have done and its bash up nokta/makro and garrett with what all those mid price buyers want changeable single freq with multi.

minelab are not stupid they are a huge company compared to well most they are just bashing some mid priced heads ...

anyway the hype is up this thing and I don't even know if it has a back light :lmfao: so no hype from me just use what I have and find what I find..

no one has come near the deus in the wireless area not even close so hang on to your briefs minelab haven't either its blue tooth we all know how that goes...

BP

You bring up an interesting point about the Bluetooth. All I know about the Deus is that it is 2.4gHz but I don't know anything beyond that (Like does it do packets), or is it a real time radio. 2 or 3 times I've miss judged a target a bit on a lazy Xing, I wondered to myself maybe this thing does have a bit of lag. lololol :lol:

It seems to have a backlight.

See a Deus lite even if it's a few bucks more is likely still a nicer machine, however if you try and do a more apples to apples comparison you need a full Deus kit that has the remote and wireless headphones which puts you around a couple grand in most markets.

When I swung an FBS I often craved the Xterra experience (but with FBS results). I'd imagine a lot of FBS swingers would be interested in this. I don't think it's a downgrade, time will tell, perhaps a upgrade, at least in regards to ergonomics.

I almost considered getting a Xterra again in the spring, however a 505 with a coil puts you at a grand, just didn't seem to even come close to comparing against a Deus lite for a few hundred more. Deus is deeper.

If the Equinox was out in the spring for under a grand I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

As I say though, I like the Deus system with the interchangeable coils and peripherals. It's a nice user experience.

yeah maybe its a great detector I have not used it , so cant say, but from the little info we have its an upgraded go find with multi freq..

would love for it too take the place of my ctx but its a long way from the wireless Deus experience as its a plug in carry around module like the ctx and that's just not even close to Deus user comfort and ease of use, I run that thing over with my truck that came with the ctx what a piece of rubbish :punch:

anyway its probably a great detector and will probably put most detectors in that price range up for sale.. gunna hurt a few company's or make them reach further and harder so can only benefit us as the end users in the long run.

but to me new tech is picking gold from aluminium and it doesn't do that so same old same old really I still have to dig all that crap so why spend more money??

BP

Indeed what seems to be revolutionary, (for Minelab) is the configuration as opposed the actual tech. Adjustable freq, reactivity and the option for FBS.

It's too bad they felt the need to make two different price points. That's one thing about XP they put their best foot forward with the Deus. One could argue the Deus Lite is crippled, it depends what features you are after, plus it can always have programs changed be upgraded if you come across someone with a remote, a reasonable compromise.

Geez , you're writing the Deus' epitaph and the Nox hasn't even been released yet:confused:
BTW , you forgot to mention that the Nox appears to be faster than the Deus also,,,in multi freq. and with iron

sprchng said:
Geez , you're writing the Deus' epitaph and the Nox hasn't even been released yet:confused:
BTW , you forgot to mention that the Nox appears to be faster than the Deus also,,,in multi freq. and with iron

Who are you talking to?

OK assuming you're talking to me. I did not write the epitah for the Deus, I have said several times that the Deus is a nicer package.

With regards to speed, couple things. The guy in the video said a Deus was like a "3" on the Equinox reactivity. -Deus at what reactivity setting?
Then he turned it up to "8" and implied that that would be really fast compared to a Deus.- Is this reactivity a linear adjustment? Again compared the what Deus reactivity?
Also how much is too much, does anyone hunt with the Deus above 4?

How is the Equinox faster with iron? I missed that. FBS with a higher reactivity would be interesting if the reactivity is adjustable in FBS.

The new Minelab machine is compelling. They got the price point right which let's practically all the air out of the AT Max hype (the Garrett fanbois will buy it no matter what even if the Max simply fixes the AT Pro's design flaws, except of course, weight and balance) and, perhaps more importantly, the Nokta Impact which is a detector I seriously considered for awhile, even with my vaunted Deus. Besides the fact that there is precious little real world information and use videos or even a detailed spec sheet, if Minelab lives up to it's own hype they got the following things right:

#1 - Price! Way to go Minelab, a new business strategy, volume over profit margin.
#2 - Submersible - it's no Excalibur dive machine, but in this day and age there is practically no reason why a detector shouldn't be all terrain up to at least 3M submersion. Hell, flagship smartphones can take it, why can't all detectors, now. [side note: The lack of submersibility or even providing weatherproof capability is where Nokta lost me on the Impact]
#3 - Multiple Frequencies and Multi-Frequency. We have yet to see how they have actually implemented Multi-frequency in this unit vs. the high end FBS/BBS machines, but Minelab is king of this technology/feature (Whites notwithstanding) so anything that would make this a superior salt beach and surf machine vs.it's waterproof but salt water deficient vlf competition makes me sit up and take notice. The real key question brings us to #4
#4 - Attempt to give it some decent recovery speed. The key question? Is fast recovery performance going to be across the board (i.e., something you are going to see in single frequency mode AND multi-frequency mode or single freq only)(Digression: they actually use the term reactivity - isn't that a hoot? And Minelab are the ones suing XP - go figure)
#5 - Wireless Audio - Bluetooth (I have a pair of bluetooth headphones I would LOVE to pair up with this thing) and proprietary wirelsss module. Good to have options. Bluetooth also opens up the possibility of smartphone integration (GPS mapping, finds catalogging and programming.
#6 - Light weight (if not compact like the Deus). Question on how balanced will it end up being?

Other Questions:

When can they be bought!

Can the firmware be upgraded by the end user?

What accessory coils will be available and at what cost?

BTW - If Minelab sells me on the 'Nox - Deus will still be my primary machine but I can see where the 'Nox will come in handy. Since I don't dive, it might make sense to sell my Excal and beta test specimen MX Sport to pick one of these up and pocket the change for accessory coils.