Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New saltwater Detector

hunter12

I have a Tesoro Sand Shark , It's a great machine, I have had some great finds with her. But I'm looking towards the futhure. O rings for the electrical box are pretty none existance. It still like new shape to me. But I'm thinking of replacing her. Looking at the Garrett Sea hunter ii, another Pi machine. But i'm open to other newer machines . I did look at a Nox 600 and a 800. But I have heard not so good things about them, Batteries are hard to get, some leak. The big one i'm looking at is the Excaluber 2. But there again I read a lot of not so good things for a machine in that price range. Knobs break off easy, Battery life isn't that good. They need a lot of constante maintenance. I don't own one , it's what I read. not knocking the machine. I would appreciate othere's insite. Thanks.

Might want to check into these two fairly new offerings. Both made in the USA.

Fisher "Impulse Limited." And, Tarsacci MDT 8000. There is a good bit of info on these two machines on the Tom D forum. HH jim tn

The Excalibur is an excellent machine...The only issues I’ve had with them is the coil jacket will split down the road at some point. Yes, the knobs could be a little better though!..The after market kind work great as replacements....The Excalibur has awarded me with my best finds out of all machines I’ve ever owned.....I’m talking about gold finds....It goes plenty deep too!

I've owned a few excaliburs 12 years now, still love them. Now a Fisher AQ Limited.. owner, Love it as much as the excalibur but Its for limited spots since it's a PI....also once they get the small
8 inch coil for it out I think It will be move versatile......
I had a sea hunter several years ago, once I figured out PP/Almetal on the excalibur I seen the excalibur was a better machine ...for me.
As far as Bang for the buck
I don't think you can match the Nox...Not a ruff water machine but wetsand/drysand/ and a occasional dunk I think it would be a good choice. One thing on the Nox..you sell a million of them and there are going to be more broken ones then any other machine...due to the amount made and sold.
I've seen some impressive numbers with the MTD's Performance...Price 1500.oo I believe...Maybe Dew will chime in on it...

Have you checked MacMaster Carr for custom....O rings? They have kits you can make your own ..Or they can make them for you...

Thanks, I check with Mcmaster- Carr.

I don't think you can match the Nox...Not a ruff water machine but wetsand/drysand/ and a occasional dunk I think it would be a good choice.
I agree with OBN on this. I've used many different machines on the beach to include an ATX PI. Our sand here in Central Florida is not that mineralized that a PI is a necessity. Besides, I don't like digging down 18 inches for a bobbi pin. The EQX suits my needs very well. If I want to go more than knee deep in the surf, I'll use my Excal. I conservatively consider my EQX as more water resistant than waterproof.
Just the view from my beachy foxhole

I agree with OBN on this. I've used many different machines on the beach to include an ATX PI. Our sand here in Central Florida is not that mineralized that a PI is a necessity. Besides, I don't like digging down 18 inches for a bobbi pin. The EQX suits my needs very well. If I want to go more than knee deep in the surf, I'll use my Excal. I conservatively consider my EQX as more water resistant than waterproof.
Just the view from my beachy foxhole
I agree with your opinion on those two machines . Well said!

Friend has a Fisher Impulse man does he dig a lot of rusty bottle caps!

Thanks for all the imput. I was reading and watching videos of the Nokta Simplex being used in dry sand and wet sand and also the surf.For $ 250 ish or $340 ish for the WHP. you cant beat the price. Ha sanyone had expeirance using this machine. I like somethings on it but somethings don't sound good. Like the batteries life expectancy, Sending it back to them to be replaced. Plus it's made i Turkey. You never know when they can turn belly up. Pros and cons appreciated.

minelab vanquish 340- 440
an inexpensive option but not waterproof
i have a Excalibur 2 for that

Thanks for all the imput. I was reading and watching videos of the Nokta Simplex being used in dry sand and wet sand and also the surf.For $ 250 ish or $340 ish for the WHP. you cant beat the price. Ha sanyone had expeirance using this machine. I like somethings on it but somethings don't sound good. Like the batteries life expectancy, Sending it back to them to be replaced. Plus it's made i Turkey. You never know when they can turn belly up. Pros and cons appreciated.
It works fine on the medium and larger sized gold ( wet sand) but, not the smaller sized gold. You will be forced to use beach mode which will automatically eliminate (notch out) smaller gold or low conductive targets . You can try other modes but, again it’s a single frequency unit and you will have to drop the sensitivity down in order to stabilize unit . You will lose some depth for sure. It works fine in the dry sand though. If you plan on hunting the salt water beaches often , get a real machine that works for that purpose. Don’t disadvantage yourself!

I've used the Simplex and Kruzer at beaches. They were quite and I didn't find I had to turn down sensitivity more the one to keep them quite. Still using the Simplex now. The Kruzer didn't seem to like nickels, but the Simplex and Anfibio do. I'd get the Anfibio for its better versatility and customization and because the Simplex doesn't like many pinpointers other than the Pulsedive (which I own too).

Nokta/Makro have been in business for a while and their customer service has been the best I've experienced. They also have a repair center in the US. A few years before they had their r. center, I had a problem with my older orange Nokta pinpointer. After I emailed them a video showing the issue, they sent me a new one from Turkey in 2-3 days via DHL, that's crazy fast.

That being said, I've recently bought an EQ600 and am keeping the Simplex as well. Now I have two different types of machines that I can play with, both waterproof (the Simplex is rated to 16ft, not 10 like the EQ). The Noktas also have proper waterproof headphone connections.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

I have a Tesoro Sand Shark , It's a great machine, I have had some great finds with her. But I'm looking towards the futhure. O rings for the electrical box are pretty none existance. It still like new shape to me. But I'm thinking of replacing her. Looking at the Garrett Sea hunter ii, another Pi machine. But i'm open to other newer machines . I did look at a Nox 600 and a 800. But I have heard not so good things about them, Batteries are hard to get, some leak. The big one i'm looking at is the Excaluber 2. But there again I read a lot of not so good things for a machine in that price range. Knobs break off easy, Battery life isn't that good. They need a lot of constante maintenance. I don't own one , it's what I read. not knocking the machine. I would appreciate othere's insite. Thanks.

I had aFisher CZ20 that I used in salt water and was a great machine, it paid for itself many times over !! For the last 5 years I used an Excel II and again I have had no problems only fantastic finds underwater . You can't go wrong with either one.
People that have problems tend to complain and post about the problems but the rest of us usually don't post and say " Hey my Excel didn't leak today " we just use our machines and bring home the goods !

I had aFisher CZ20 that I used in salt water and was a great machine, it paid for itself many times over !! For the last 5 years I used an Excel II and again I have had no problems only fantastic finds underwater . You can't go wrong with either one.
People that have problems tend to complain and post about the problems but the rest of us usually don't post and say " Hey my Excel didn't leak today " we just use our machines and bring home the goods !
I meant EXCALIBUR II !

If you liked,your sand shark you will also like the seahunter.The Excalibur is also a fantastic machine which has proven itself over the years.Whatever you do,don't buy a single frequency machine with a beach mode as they are a big compromise........multi frequency or pi are the only options for saltwater.
I'm in the same situation as you.......i'm gearing up for the beach again and trying to decide between the seahunter (ive owned one before) or a multifrequency unit......ive owned many different multi frequency detectors.I'm leaning towards another seahunter because its built like a tank and will take whatever i throw at it.......i also know how effective they are in black sand and from my personal experiences over here on British beaches it will punch slightly deeper in such circumstances........that slight difference can reap benefits.Its a difficult decision.

Excalibur 2 (y)

The MDT is. Single freq machine... yes single freq. it has 4 freq and can salt balance the salt water. What that means... you get all out the same depth in the water as out. It’s better build IMO than both the Xcal and Nox. Uses 1 lith battery you can find easily on line for about $6. Now why can’t other companies do that? Runs in AM like the Xcal except she even quieter. This is a Relic machine as well so it handles bad sand/soil. Priced like an Xcal with out the modes and has an 18 mos warranty. Not as sensitive to tiny foil like the Nox.... but thus far anything the Nox has found this machine hits..... I’ve got as many chains with it as well. All three of these machines has their strengths. That’s why I have all three... but have to admit I rarely use the other two