Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nickles....Are they really worth it :rant:

I think the big problem with the Equinox is the small TID range. I dont own one yet, this is just from reading the forums. It seems because of the small range, many similar items are being grouped together.

Yesterday, I went to a Recreation area that I plucked out over 100 quarters in the fall with another brand machine. I decided to go back and try for the nickels and possible gold rings. After 2 hours I ended up with 4 nickels. I can tell the difference between nickels and pull tabs on my machine since it has a 1-99 TID. I really dont think there are that many nickels out there compared to pennies, dimes and quarters. The ratio is rather low to begin with. Even my beach nickels are way less than any other coin.

Honestly, since I dont dirt dig too often, Id say probably too much work and little reward. Since I live near the beach, gold is easier to find even though we dig everything and have to walk for miles !!!

Many may not have a choice as to where they can find gold, so will have to put up digging tons of junk to find the good stuff until they build a better mouse trap. I leave all that digging to the youngin's nowadays :)))))

HH
Donna(NJ)

Most days I'm inclined to agree nickels aren't worth the return effort....and I use a detector that is quite good on nickels, but certain types of tabs are in the same range. Just the other day was one of those outings that I was digging the nickels range targets and one turned out to be a 14k ring with real diamonds. I am mostly a old coin hunter and almost any gold I get comes pretty much by accident. Accident, by digging nickel and zinc/copper cent readings. Which, typically yields me 5-6 gold rings annually. So. to dig or not to dig such readings????????? HH jim tn

Good discussion. For me... It's totally site dependent and the allowed method of digging. PLUS the down / up factor. The getting down to my knees is easy...like falling :blink: on my knee pads, it's the getting back up that my knees go crunch and cause much discomfort. Beaches - easiest on my body and I dig anything non ferrous (within the USA), in MX I dig the iron to get the minor pesos. On land a long handled shovel helps with the getting up. One hunting buddy who is just over 50 and not in the best shape will dig out all the aluminum in old park sites and similar looking for that elusive gold coin or gold jewelry and despite no AU coin he's done very well on gold jewelry.
I Still have to post my water finds from Feb in MX.

Yes it's worth it , your removing rubbish from the ground! Then you can melt all the rubbish into a small ball and dump it in 5000 feet of water!

15C in coin, 50c in aluminum! I cashed in a 5 gal bucket of alum tabs and slaw, looking for that gold ring, and the ring never showed up!
In heavy trash, I dig the solid 13's only.

Just a theory but did you use 50 tones ? I found with the Safari my nickel count went through the roof.
Before on other MD's I got damn few. With 50 tones you get much more info but tend to ignore the
numbers. We shall see when I get my EQ800
HH
Tom
LFOD !

Just for grins, on 12-13 numbers and you think it may be a nickel, or not a nickle, flip to 5 then 1 kz and see if there is a difference! To me, I think there is a very audible difference and a number difference for pull tabs and nickels. But NOT war nickels. They seem to be stable but all over the spectrum. 14, 19 13 and 21! Got an 1889 V Sunday at a solid 12 number, 7??" deep, repeatable, and the same on 5, 15 and multi freq. I dug it totally expecting a rectangular pop tab. Who knows???