Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No Gold Finds While Hunting With my CTX

David53

I have performed successful air tests using Gold and Platinum Rings, but I have never been able to find any Gold or Platinum Rings on Land or at the Beach while using my CTX. I have only found 2 Silver Rings during the 4 years I have used my CTX. I have found 100's of Wheat Pennies, but only a very few Silver coins. My question is why am I more successful finding Gold & Silver Rings with other Minelab machines, such as the Explorer II and the GT than I am when I use the CTX? I have not dug everything, but I have often dug readings around where gold rings are supposed to register on my detector ID Screen, such as 12-01-12-33. The majority of the readings I have received while performing air tests include: 12-01, 12-03, 12-05, and 12-31 or 12-32. Some of the Gold Ring readings while performing air tests fluctuate all over the places especially when I go farther away from the coil. There is no way I have found to differentiate a pull tab from a gold ring. I normally use the CTX 6" Coil, which can detect rings as far away as 8" to 12" depending on the Caret when conducting air tests. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you arent scrubbing the sand you are loosing a lot of sensitivity and depth to gold. I dont know what kind of hours you have spent hitting the beach. EVERYTHING that isnt iron i check..... because yes gold rings with their metal make up can fall in those digits mentioned. Kick those gum wrappers and juice lids and dig those pull tabs. Tabs fall at 12-16 nickels 12-14 and some of the older tabs are in the 20s.......... but you get surprised sometimes. The one sure thing i have disc out is IRON and bottle caps. My CTX seems to be very stable on found targets in the sand. IF the target is reading 12 something especially, dont ignore it on the beach. I prefer combined tones as well. I set them to my hearing and its so much better than listening to a lot of tones that eventually you get tone deff and just hear HIGH tones. As an ole dirt digger...... that was the first habbit i had to break...... im not looking for pennies.

Dew

Maybe there were no gold rings there. I think that a person that is targeting Gold jewelry on a beach, doesn't really need a $2500 CTX. Any beach machine will do the trick as IMHO, you have to dig everything in order to find gold rings, etc.. I just don't think an operator, 'targeting gold', can decide to dig or not dig a target based on numbers alone. Way too wide a variation.
It might be one of those 'mind is trained' with a CTX that there should be some sort of system with numbers that can be relied upon to decide to dig a gold target. With other 'beach machines' there usually is no discrimination or number to tell you to dig, just a sound. Again, on the beach if it makes a sound I would dig it. I have had the CTX (3rd one now) now since mid 2012. And I think I almost totally ignore the numbers until I actually have decided to dig something. The numbers are far better on the CTX than any other machine, but it does LIE!

My best found ring has the same ID as many pulltabs. There is no way yet I've found to tell them apart.
I was doing some experiments with an inductance sensor part from TI that had indications that with the right settings it could tell which was which.
I haven't yet tried my excal on them, but other deectors saw them as identical.

Thank you for your suggestions. I need to clarify that I have found lots of clad using the CTX, but not much Jewelry compared to the other 6 detectors I use, which are: a Tesoro Compadre, a Tesoro Lobo, a Tesoro Cibola, a Minelab Sovereign GT, and a Garrett AT Pro. In the future, I will try digging more pull tabs than I already dig. Since I currently do not live close to a beach, I rarely have the opportunity to use my CTX at a Beach. I mainly detect around Schools, in Parks and Private Property when I obtain permission. I guess that opens up many more areas to detect because nobody knows where they lose things. Has anyone ever tried to dig the Iron just in case it may be masking good finds?

David53 said:
Thank you for your suggestions. I need to clarify that I have found lots of clad using the CTX, but not much Jewelry compared to the other 6 detectors I use, which are: a Tesoro Compadre, a Tesoro Lobo, a Tesoro Cibola, a Minelab Sovereign GT, and a Garrett AT Pro. In the future, I will try digging more pull tabs than I already dig. Since I currently do not live close to a beach, I rarely have the opportunity to use my CTX at a Beach. I mainly detect around Schools, in Parks and Private Property when I obtain permission. I guess that opens up many more areas to detect because nobody knows where they lose things. Has anyone ever tried to dig the Iron just in case it may be masking good finds?

I'd hate to say "yes" to anyone strictly digging iron in hopes it'll unmask something in a public place. Now, if you hear somewhat of a good signal NEXT to iron or a mixed signal, then maybe, depending on how much "goodness" was in the signal. But to rut up a public place just yanking out iron is not a good idea,IMHO. The return just isn't going to be what you want, including that "NO DETECTING" sign that just went up. The CTX shines in finding good targets in Trash, just let it do its thing. Once you're out of possible targets, find another one of those type of sites and do it again. We will always miss something, it's about PROBABILITY, not POSSIBILITY, if you want to turn in good coin counts.
Jewelry and gold? Don't know nothin' about it....

When I mentioned digging the iron, what I meant was remove lots of extra bottle caps while detecting along with using an Earth Magnet to remove extra surface iron that may be contributing to some of the good targets being masked out where I detect. I would Never destroy public property just to remove iron. Some of the places where I detect have so much iron that my detector beeps continuously. I do not like to always discriminate it out because I like to hear everything especially when I create different tones from the iron for the targets I am searching for. I have recently started digging more when targets sound good from multiple directions. I also have been digging much more trash than in the past.
Unfortunately, the soil where I detect is very hard to dig in because it comes out in hard dirt clots when it is dry. When the soil is wet, desired targets are hard to remove because they stick to the soil. For these reasons, it is almost impossible to dig perfect plugs. The area where I live is called the Brazos Valley and it is located in Texas.