Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Noise cancel....?

Knipper

I'm well aware of the fact that the "Noise Cancel" function is not a "ground cancel" setting, but rather a scan to select a channel with the least interference. But I seem to recall one poster mentioned that Andy S. said to put the coil on the ground when doing do in his book. I've scoured the book and can find no reference to this. The instructions say hold the coil 12" above the ground when performing a noise cancel. This makes sense to me as you would tend to "read" any interference better if the coil was a bit higher than ground level. Has anyone noticed any difference in performance if you noise cancel with the coil on the ground?

I'm not sure if I'm off base on this... I noise cancel a few inches above the ground as opposed to the manual recommendation. My logic is that I want the coil tuned to where it will actually be operating, a few inches above the ground. In other words, I don't sweep 12" high so, why adjust for that? I'd also be very interested in what more seasoned users than myself have to say on the subject.

My thinking on this is that the source of local noise is transmitted through the air to the ground.
The reason for doing a Noise Cancel well above the ground is to allow the machine to better receive and analyze the properties of the noise in order to cancel it.
This, of course, would also apply to the CTX 3030.

I have heard Andy recommended NC on the ground in his CTX book (and I have read that book haphazardly)but I don't remember reading that anywhere in the Explorer/Etrac book . I found the CTX book of little use. I have found NC to often reach the same channel(11) when it's done in both positions in sequence. Don't forget , the electrical field extends above the coil as well as below so regardless of where you are doing the NC at least half the field is sampling the air. The only way to determine how it affects detecting is to do both , sampling half ground or all air , at the same location and check the same targets. In my locations I have found little difference but I do NC when I start and occasionally throughout a hunt where I am covering different types of areas.

I think that noise canceling with the coil at the level you are going to be swinging it is best... That is where it is going to be picking up any interference that is going to matter... I usually just leave it on channel 6 and most of the time this works best for me, but if I am with my buddy and his CTX and big 17" coil, I have to change channels sometimes if we are close.

HH,

I have had the CTX for about a year and could never run the manual sensitivity up anywhere near 30. The machine was just so erratic. I live in New England and I suspect that the soil is highly mineralized where I hunt. I'm not sure why, but when I began to leave the coil on the ground and noise cancel my machine; I can now run the machine at maximum sensitivity on the same ground. I also run with no to very little discrimination, normal tone, recovery deep on, recovery fast off, ferrous coin and in combined mode. My finds have greatly improved and I feel like I am getting more out of the machine. I have tried this with all three coils and noticed a marked difference in how hot I can run the machine compared to not doing this.

I'm not sure I understand why Minelab would instruct us to perform the noise cancel procedure with the coil raised off the ground if doing it with the coil on the ground gives better results?

They designed the circuit and software/logic to work best if you do it as they say it should be done. So rftm and follow the instructions ;-)

Mcdetect said:
They designed the circuit and software/logic to work best if you do it as they say it should be done. So rftm and follow the instructions ;-)

I agree. The noise cancel function is designed to reduce electronic interference from power lines, other detectors, etc. It should not be confused with ground balancing.

Being new, I only hunted once with my Etrac. I have been reading and see no ground ballance procedure. Just the noise cancel. Am I missing something?

jd88047 said:
Being new, I only hunted once with my Etrac. I have been reading and see no ground ballance procedure. Just the noise cancel. Am I missing something?

Yep, no manual ground balance. Just another reason to love the E-Trac.