Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nokta Legend numbers

Waterdog

I went out today with the club, and the Boots Legend. I would swing over a target and every time I went over the target I got a different number !
One of the club members was standing there and asked me, " what do you think it is? " I told them the machine was new to me, I did not know. Looking at the numbers the way they changed I could not tell what it was.

Is there a way to make the numbers more steady on this machine?

I have not experienced that. Numbers seem to trend a little higher as the target moves to the edge some , for instance , a zinc that reads 42 may hit 43 or 45 on the edges of the coil but locks solidly on the right number when correctly over the target. I think you will see the same thing as your experience with the machine increases. I find the numbers are remarkable solid even on deeper targets. You might check to see if your swing speed and recovery speed are complimenting each other.

When I went out today I had to stop looking at the numbers going all over the place and hunt by sound as every sweep no matter slow or fast were never the same.
I did manage to dig up 7 quarters, 9 dimes, 3 nickels., and several pennies. Along with three bling jewelry .

That is odd. I've dug a memorial cent and a dime at about 8" each with the small coil, and even at that depth the numbers locked on and didn't change. You should have dug it. Possibly more than one target in the hole?

When I went out today I had to stop looking at the numbers going all over the place and hunt by sound as every sweep no matter slow or fast were never the same.
I did manage to dig up 7 quarters, 9 dimes, 3 nickels., and several pennies. Along with three bling jewelry .
Do not know if this will help or not but every time I have had target IDs jumping all over the place on the Legend it has been from mineralized conditions in the soil, I ground balance quite often and it helps a ton the other reason I have seen this is because there is another target in the ground with the good target, when i start getting jumping TIDs I will re ground balance and activate ground tracking in the Legend and this seems to stabilize the TIDs, I will also do a frequency shift which some times is all I have to do also

what I found with the legend is the numbers are not consistent I have found zinc pennies that have an ID of 32-34 and 25 feet away they will read 42-43. Dimes that read 39-43, then 45-48, quarters that read the same as pennies to dimes. bottom line ,no idea of what I am digging until it is in my hand.

Is there a way to make the numbers more steady on this machine?
Put a piece of duct tape over the numbers.
what I found with the legend is the numbers are not consistent I have found zinc pennies that have an ID of 32-34 and 25 feet away they will read 42-43. Dimes that read 39-43, then 45-48, quarters that read the same as pennies to dimes. bottom line ,no idea of what I am digging until it is in my hand.
Someone is going to give me crap for this but thats why my older favorites were ones like the sovereign, excal, Tesoro’s. Anything without a vdi. But unfortunately almost impossible to find a new decent detector without one.
Watching the numbers pop up is like watching the lottery numbers and about as predictable.
Sound is more accurate than numbers and ill just leave it at that.

Someone is going to give me crap for this but thats why my older favorites were ones like the sovereign, excal, Tesoro’s. Anything without a vdi. But unfortunately almost impossible to find a new decent detector without one.
Watching the numbers pop up is like watching the lottery numbers and about as predictable.
I too am coming from a "tones are better" perspective. The other day I dug a crusty Zincoln that read a solid 26 both in the ground and out. I thought it was going to be a nickel! The tone was great though so I dug it.

I too am coming from a "tones are better" perspective. The other day I dug a crusty Zincoln that read a solid 26 both in the ground and out. I thought it was going to be a nickel! The tone was great though so I dug it.
With the legend the nickle is about the only tone I can tell the difference with. Dimes, pennies, pull tabs and even quarters sound the same with my hearing loss. I've tried changing the tone on the legend, but have no idea how to save. Even then it is hard to get a large enough separation. With my deus it is easy and with or without numbers, I almost always know what I am digging.
I bought my first detector in 1976, I've owned 3 Nokta detectors (including the legend). I must say the resale value is close to nothing. at least with the Minelab's, when I sell them after 3 years, I get almost what I paid.

Really? I've yet to see a Legend on the resale market.
Was kinda of thinking more of for the money why would you want to sell it and for what. Maybe that was the strategy all along. What else could you get better for the same money.
Unless an unexpected event happened where you needed some money.
I may have seen a legend on the resale market but yet to see that they were selling it for being that unhappy with it.

You mention a lot of analog detectors where it makes sense that the sound contains a lot of nuance. In the modern detectors the VDI is identified before it triggers the associated sound and that sound is a purely digital generated tone, not the result of actual modulation. So I see no way that the sound can be more accurate than the number that triggered it.

You mention a lot of analog detectors where it makes sense that the sound contains a lot of nuance. In the modern detectors the VDI is identified before it triggers the associated sound and that sound is a purely digital generated tone, not the result of actual modulation. So I see no way that the sound can be more accurate than the number that triggered it.
If you run 60 Tone or even 6 Tone you get a lot of Audio intelligence. Humans can process sound faster & in more detail than visual.

I don’t know how the program is configured but if it has 60 tones and 60
numbers on the vdi, than each number I assume would have its own unique tone. Some people can process differences in sound jumping around better than numbers on a screen jumping around even if the tones are far fewer.
Everyone is different.
I can listen to a piano/guitar playing and hear the different tones and pitches, maybe not to a subtle point as some others But then look at all the different notes on the page they are reading from and it makes no sense to me, just a bunch of squiggly symbols strung across a piece of paper
The numbers to me are more of just a bunch of symbols that keep appearing on a screen. Add to that with music at least the same symbol will always mean ita the same exact note. The vdi number isn’t always the same exact target.
A G note as far as i know will always look the same on paper. A number 45 for example will not always be a dime 100% of the time. Probably not even 75% of the time so it just adds to the confusion.
I do know though with a metal detector a good repeatable tone 99% of the time its a piece of metal.
As ive said many times if there is a 3lbs ,waterproof, option of using single or
Multi frequency, bluetooth capable, auto ground balancing, multiple coil, beach and park mode detector with no vdi let me know because I can’t find any other ones lol