Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nothin there

Davy crockett

Hello all, I've been learning about my new ctx3030, keep in mind that I'm new to the sport. I've got about 40 hours in the handbook.

My question is why when I get a good hit, 12 and 36 I dig and find nothing. I'm using the high trash mode because my recommended sensitity numbers are dropping to 11 and I set my sensitivty to auto and ---- 2. I'm in my front yard which is full of iron junk which makes it really hard to hear all the sounds properly however it's good for learning lol.

ok, I assume you are saying your target was 12-36, as in FE12 and CO36. You dig and find nothing, correct? If you have a solid, repeating target and it pinpoints in the same spot you are getting the response, then you have a solid target. Most likely your pinpointing skills are off and you aren't digging in the correct spot. I would suggest digging wider.

PS- this is where a pinpointer is really, really handy!

Thank you both for your replies. Yes I'm talking fe 12 fe and Co 36. I'm pretty sure that I have pinpointed ok however I'm going out there today and I will dig wider. I do have a pinpointer and it shows nothing, not yet anyhow. Maybe I'm not deep enough. I'm using a 6 inch coil. I will keep you informed.

I took my machine to the park where they have a volleyball court with sand and I found my first two coins, a dime and quarter. It was fun to find something.

FIRST throw down a like a penny or dime, close your eyes and try to find and pinpoint the target. when you think you are dead over it open your eyes and lift your coil to see how close you are. Also, be sure to test some other targets you have and get a feel for what a good response sounds like. If you are a true newbie then you may just need more feel for what 13 36 sounds like with a real target. your curser, sound are as important and sometimes more important than sound.

stick with it and youll have a ton of fun.

the 3030 comes with a ton of good luck so...look out.

If this is your first detector I urge you to construct a test garden. Get some paint sticks with one inch marked increments on them and with different items hot glued to the end of them. Then get in your yard and find some soft area where you can bury them and then go over them again and again. If you are using the 50 tone program and the stock 'coin' pattern, it should only take a few minutes to really start to get the feel of the machine. On pin pointing, quite often a rusty nail or similar will give a good signal, but usually from only one direction. Like it will sound off going left and right but move 90 degrees around and try it. Then pin point it and if the target moves (you pin point a slightly different spot, say 4 to 6" away) from where the best sound was, then odds are really high it is iron rust. To me, just me, the numbers really mean practically nothing. I use them as the last decision point in dig or not dig. To me; sound first, then I get it to repeat in several directions, then I check the target on the screen. Right color, right location, right size, then I dig.

Lastly, there are maybe a hundred posts on this forum about pin pointing, how wide to move the coil, what directions, etc., do a search and try to read them, as most are very informative. There are also several members on here that absolutely know what they are talking about. Search for posts by Andy S, Jason in Enid, GK, Digger, Sube, and a few more! They have maybe a zillion years of knowledge and a lot of it comes out in their posts.

Davy crockett said:
Thank you both for your replies. Yes I'm talking fe 12 fe and Co 36. I'm pretty sure that I have pinpointed ok however I'm going out there today and I will dig wider. I do have a pinpointer and it shows nothing, not yet anyhow. Maybe I'm not deep enough. I'm using a 6 inch coil. I will keep you informed.

I took my machine to the park where they have a volleyball court with sand and I found my first two coins, a dime and quarter. It was fun to find something.

OK, assuming that you are pinpointing correctly, the other possibility is that you have a very large non-ferrous target that is very deep.

A note on pinpointing.... The DD coils are much more sensitive to angled targets than the concentric coils other detectors use. Think of the metal target as an antenna. When your coil goes over it, it charges it with energy and then it radiates its energy out. A flat object like a coin, only radiates a tiny bit from the edges, but most goes out from the flat sides. When the coin is flat, that energy is going straight back to coil, when angled it goes off to the side. I have had angled coins 4 - 5 inches off to the side of where they pinpoint, but those are extreme situations. This is also why nails are such a PIA. they radiate out from the ends so when you have a nail-false, it is always in the side of the hole, pointing inward.

Just one other comment. What is a 12-36 supposed to be in the US? I know that some very cruddy corroded up pennise will ring there, but the majority of the time, for me in my area, it is a rusty bottle cap. Sometimes it might be a small lead bullet, but I am not digging for relics either in some sort of Civil War area either. That is why I almost always do not dig them. Also, down in the bottom right corner of the screen be sure to check that for iron display. The CTX is extremely accurate on t ID, maybe the absolute best machine on the market in that area, so use all the bits of information it gives you on deciding to dig or not dig.

A 12-36 can be a lot of things. It could be a corroded zinc cent. It could be an Indian Head cent (It not the normal response, but I have dug some at that), it could be a bullet, it could be a large gold ring, it could be a big piece of aluminum.

"very cruddy corroded up pennise will ring" I really need to edit that but I cannot figure out how! I see the 'edit' function goes away after a set amount of time.

If he is using the small coil, can we put pinpointing error to bed? Sometimes the fact that Minelabs don't do air well makes the target go away if you can't get the coil down in the hole, but again the small coil ought to be easy to sniff with. I flatten the mounds of dirt to check for missed out of the hole targets and take two extra scoops after the response is lost. Yet, sometimes it seems to have broken up and dissolved.
I think you are right on using the 6 inch coil at first, for several reasons. If possible mark several spots where targets vanished and come back with the 11 inch coil and see if it can see a deeper or wider lost target.
Most of all enjoy a great detector!