Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nox-- first impressions

Wait, you would actually carry a paper manual with you when detecting? Come on man, this is 2021! Download the manual and keep it on your phone for fast, easy reference! With an added bonus of being able to search instantly instead of flipping though pages searching for what you are looking for! But if you really wanted a hard-copy manual, it's very easy to simply print.
Well,yes Im old school..But why would I carry a cell phone with me while detecting when many on this forum swear it can interfere with performance? lol... the last thing I need is to be on my phone trying figure out why it won’t settle down all the time being on the phone could make it worse... yes I would use a paper manual for my first few hunts and would have written notes on the pages as saw fit fit...I think it would have saved me a few hours learning.. I rarely carry a cell phone as don’t wish big brother to know my whereabouts...

Well,yes Im old school..But why would I carry a cell phone with me while detecting when many on this forum swear it can interfere with performance? lol... the last thing I need is to be on my phone trying figure out why it won’t settle down all the time being on the phone could make it worse... yes I would use a paper manual for my first few hunts and would have written notes on the pages as saw fit fit...I think it would have saved me a few hours learning.. I rarely carry a cell phone as don’t wish big brother to know my whereabouts...
I have never proven that my cell phone ever interfered with any metal detector. I explored that aspect after hearing it only once, years ago. I will personally always have my IPhone on me out in the field. It is my life-vest in case I fall down and can't back up. I am not jesting ;-)

I have never proven that my cell phone ever interfered with any metal detector. I explored that aspect after hearing it only once, years ago. I will personally always have my IPhone on me out in the field. It is my life-vest in case I fall down and can't back up. I am not jesting ;-)

I agree, I always have my IPhone in my pocket and turned on. It has never interfered with my Nox that I am aware of. There is a utility box near one of the beaches I frequent that causes my Nox to get real chatty and other detectors nearby will cause problems but not my phone.

I sometimes have my phone on me but rarely have it on I turn it on when I need to..

Not to long ago I discouraged a bum/vagrant/ homeless person from further harassment by whipping out my old flip top phone and stating I was calling the police. He had been following me around and asking for money and my telling him to get lost was falling on deaf ears. Seeing my phone and my mention of police, though, finally sent him on his way.

To my knowledge my phone, or anybody else's, ever interfered with any of my detectors. HH jim tn

Not to long ago I discouraged a bum/vagrant/ homeless person from further harassment by whipping out my old flip top phone and stating I was calling the police. He had been following me around and asking for money and my telling him to get lost was falling on deaf ears. Seeing my phone and my mention of police, though, finally sent him on his way.

To my knowledge my phone, or anybody else's, ever interfered with any of my detectors. HH jim tn

Hahahaha...

What really helped me was the dozen or so Minelab Equinox Tutorials available on YouTube. I watched most several times and paused them to adjust settings while the information was right in front of me. Understanding that some settings are global and some are mode specific helped.

Attachments

• 20210616_210820.jpg
    20210616_210820.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 90
Thanks UT, I've watched those. I can't figure out why I can make changes to tone bins 1 and 2 only, on a saved, customized program. I wanted to change the nickel tone to one that was more like the ctx, and wanted to move the 11 to a different bin. Had to erase my program and do it all over, which was annoying. Must be an easier way that I'm missing, or my unit has a hiccup.

@IDX-- yes.

Ok, third hunt with the nox today. Ronstar decided to hit the great outdoors, so I decided to hit a yard I have pounded with the etrac and ctx, to see if the nox would pick up anything I missed before. Luck!-- I was able to get permish to hit the adjoining yard, about 20'x30' in area. I covered it 3x N/S, E/W and diag. Each time I hit a Merc, and the last two times I was left wondering, "how'd I miss that in the first go around?" The '41 was super iffy around alot of thudding iron. All were about 4-6". The last one was on the property's easement strip against the sidewalk, with a '41 nickel. 2' away was somebody else's plug. Close but no cigar!

I have the same experience with my other minelabs. I go over a yard again, and I'm often left wondering, "how did I miss that?"

Went to the lawn I hunted out-- found two memorials that rang 29-31 -- why so high? Dug lots of trash nickel signals. No silver.

Now I'm not crapping on the nox, so haters sit on your hands. I will keep the machine-- it does find silver. However, if I have unlimited time, I would hit a lawn with the ctx/etrac first, then follow up with the nox, ignoring all nickel signals. I'm keeping an open mind, especially as I'll be hitting OR beaches next week. Your erstwhile reporter has gold fever, in a very bad way.

Unusual hunt in the first yard: no coins but what is in the photo. Not even a single wheat. What a swell/easy day-- 3 silvers is damned good in my part of the world.

Attachments

• 20210618_132629.jpg
    20210618_132629.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
Yes, I went to the great outdoors! Left the detector home so my right hand and shoulder could recover……. Something I noticed not covered by anyone so far, paper manual easier to read in odd light or bright light. I have a backpack I leave in the truck which has small orange cones, wire field flags, orange golf tees, all my coils, second set of batteries, extra gloves etc and other items I may or may not need. Manual for the F75 and the Garrett are in big zip lock bag. So often I get in weird light or really bright daylight conditions which trying to read the downloaded version can be near impossible to read on the cell screen. Manual always readable but can be a bit of a walk to get to if needed. Older eyes still prefer paper…..

I'm new to the Minelab 600 and carry a small note book of handwritten notes of what I consider pertinent information I might need away from my vehicle. One of my hunting buddies also just acquired the 800 and I noticed yesterday while hunting he was referring to his cell phone on some questions he had about settings and was having a difficult time seeing his phones screen. I whipped out my notebook and helped him out.

My having to download 60 plus pages of manual instructions and information wasn't for a good first impression, either. Not something one can or be willing to carry with them afield. Perhaps a smaller, condensed version would help. Anyway, I know about those older eyes, Ronstar. HH jim tn

6/19 update. Hit my spots on a little one way street in town, a direct comparison between the 800 and the CTX. The lot I hit with the nox yesterday-- the ctx found a couple memorials that I passed up yesterday. A target that sounded amazing to the Nox and had me digging to Manchuria was immediately ruled out by the ctx. The lot I hit with the ctx/etrac many times-- Nox found a wheat penny amongst a lot of iron. That was a good find.

Pinpointing with the nox is a b---h, btw.

Hit another spot I frequent-- 1918 Merc and double clad dimes in another hole. Not sure how I missed those-- no iron masking the signals, just sloppy swinging I guess.

Today, the nox found a 1920 Walker. I have to give credit where credit is due: this coin was found 4' from a power transformer-- the EMI was bad, but I could pick up a tantalizing tone. No way the Etrac/ctx would have signalled this coin. Slammed the reverse with my shovel... dammit!

Skipping nickel signals with the Nox-- ML needs a software update.

Attachments

• 20210619_104501.jpg
    20210619_104501.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97
  • 20210620_101839.jpg
    20210620_101839.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
6/19 update. Hit my spots on a little one way street in town, a direct comparison between the 800 and the CTX. The lot I hit with the nox yesterday-- the ctx found a couple memorials that I passed up yesterday. A target that sounded amazing to the Nox and had me digging to Manchuria was immediately ruled out by the ctx. The lot I hit with the ctx/etrac many times-- Nox found a wheat penny amongst a lot of iron. That was a good find.

Pinpointing with the nox is a b---h, btw.

Hit another spot I frequent-- 1918 Merc and double clad dimes in another hole. Not sure how I missed those-- no iron masking the signals, just sloppy swinging I guess.

Today, the nox found a 1920 Walker. I have to give credit where credit is due: this coin was found 4' from a power transformer-- the EMI was bad, but I could pick up a tantalizing tone. No way the Etrac/ctx would have signalled this coin. Slammed the reverse with my shovel... dammit!

Skipping nickel signals with the Nox-- ML needs a software update.
Now you are starting to see what many of us have experienced with the Equinox….wondering how these coins were missed with the other detectors.
Not sure what you are referring to with the nickels….. in my opinion the Equinox does well at IDing nickels for me.
Only thing I get fooled on now and then is pencil erasers and the old beaver tails with the ring missing.
That WL is very nice…. Could not hide from the Equinox though.👍👍

Thx!

The merc could have been found with any machine... it had somehow been missed all these years. 4", no iron. In EMI, the Nox is definitely better-- couldn't have found the walker with my etrac/ctx.