Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Official Words from Minelab regarding EQUINOX battery

Digger

Constitutional Patriot
Staff member
11/17/2017

I'm not an official from Minelab. But I've been asked to share these"official words" with forum members:

“The Li-ion battery in the EQUINOX detectors is easily replaceable. Minelab has not yet released official information as to whether or not a user can change the battery over without voiding warranty or if we recommend the battery is changed by a dealer or service centre. Further information about battery care and maintenance will be provided in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual, which has not been released yet. This will be available when the product is available. The EQUINOX detectors are not designed to run from AA batteries. However, you can use a standard USB power bank (as you do with mobile phones) to recharge the built-in battery and operate the detector at the same time.”

Thats good enough for me . Thanks for the info. Thats both my main boxes ticked . Battery and salt wet beach .

That’ll sure work for me. I’m assuming the battery will last all day at least anyway,but being able to hook up the power bank is added security “just in case”. I do the same with my GoPro which has the same setup. Thanks Randy!

Sooooooooo that basicly says........ML wont say if we have to pay for it to be replaced........until AFTER its released? Kind of something id like to know....... as well as if the battery is covered for the full warranty period IF i cant change it. Hours labor is a $100 bill. Seemed like a simple question didnt it....lol? Thanks for passing this on thou.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
Sooooooooo that basicly says........ML wont say if we have to pay for it to be replaced........until AFTER its released? Kind of something id like to know....... as well as if the battery is covered for the full warranty period IF i cant change it. Hours labor is a $100 bill. Seemed like a simple question didnt it....lol? Thanks for passing this on thou.

Dew

Like the deus it will be covered in warranty I would of thought. The deus warranty is 5 years compared to the standard minelab .
Anyway the battery is not my main concern, its more the beach salt capability. Must have test videos.

Id be worried too since i see you pre ordered 2. I never assume anything with ML......BUT i suspect they learned from the CTX. Im betting there is two screws at the bottom of that handle once its removed. If its covered by warranty....... sounds great. I have to say, ive not had a lot of ML battery issues as far as them going south. Batteries have a shelf life..... lot can happen.

dewcon4414 said:
Id be worried too since i see you pre ordered 2. I never assume anything with ML......BUT i suspect they learned from the CTX. Im betting there is two screws at the bottom of that handle once its removed. If its covered by warranty....... sounds great. I have to say, ive not had a lot of ML battery issues as far as them going south. Batteries have a shelf life..... lot can happen.

Ordered but not paid for . That happens when i see the machine in the shop . When ever that is ??
I am not worried about the battery . I will use the first machine and keep the other as back up , its the same as i do with my FBS . My ET will come out of the box and be backed up by the Explorer XS which is absolutely unused from 2000 ! (bought secondhand) . My Explorer 11 will be sold .
If the battery needs replacing then it will be , hopefully not before its done its duty . I detect around 90 times a year on the beaches and maybe a few times on land . The batteries should last many hundreds of charges . I will be watching the battery life . I average around 4 hours on a search . I would have preferred a better battery life of 20 plus hours , hope they aren't cheapy Chinese rubbish batteries ?

Like everything else now days, I'm sure reasonably priced aftermarket batteries and instructions on how to change it will be common by the time the warranty runs out. If ML is smart they will be selling them for a reasonable price and providing the instructions or offering replacement services at a cost that isn't a huge chunk of what the original machine cost... The positive side is battery technology has come a long way in the last few years and they are lasting longer and longer.

It's always easy to understand all the excitement about a new detector because of all the stuff that was found by old detectors.

I know that most of the backup USB power sources were designed for small items like cell phones and probably would be a very short lived power for a metal detector. I spoke with one of the top aftermarket detector battery makers and they are going to look into making a battery backup specifically for the Equinox. Lets hope this comes about!

Is that RNB?

Nuke em said:
Is that RNB?

I'm not going to say who until something solid comes about. The company may look into it and decide that its not a feasible project.

Im not concerned about changing a good battery. Im waiting to see if we can do a fix... if it voids the warranty... how long battery warranty is..... and if ML does it how deep are they getting in my pocket for this EASILY REPLACABLE process.

dewcon4414 said:
Im not concerned about changing a good battery. Im waiting to see if we can do a fix... if it voids the warranty... how long battery warranty is..... and if ML does it how deep are they getting in my pocket for this EASILY REPLACABLE process.

If you were responding to my post, that wasnt about battery replacement, it was about a USB backup power source.

This may sound a bit dumb, but I was going to get a large franchise battery chain store to change out my 3030 batteries in the rechargeable pack and was refused as the model and size were not commercially available. They told me that if they replace a Li-on battery it must be the exact same model, size, etc., or they have a huge liability and legal issue with the FCC or Fed Gov. Seems there are lots of regulations regarding li-on batteries so they dont get mismatched stuff and explosions. Anyway, that may well be one of the many reasons the batteries are sealed and must be done by a dealer.

Here's one consideration re Li-ion batteries. Unlike NiMh batteries Li-ion Are affected by low temperatures, something to watch for those hardy detectorist braving winter or cold water <50°. I could mention a number of examples but the most prominent in my mind is the trend happening with motorcycle batteries. The Li-ion have shown that they have issues starting a motorcycle under 40°. Forget the news stories of enfuego Li-ion batteries. One incident like that with a metal detector could kill sales. Poof! Can you imagine that happening in your vehicle trunk or cargo area, your home or? Will we be able to travel by air with these Li-ion equipped EQ's? It's probably no issue, the CTX has this type of battery. Ok, I'm rambling :wiggle:...
Im on board hoping the initial release will show its ready for market.

jas415 said:
This may sound a bit dumb, but I was going to get a large franchise battery chain store to change out my 3030 batteries in the rechargeable pack and was refused as the model and size were not commercially available. They told me that if they replace a Li-on battery it must be the exact same model, size, etc., or they have a huge liability and legal issue with the FCC or Fed Gov. Seems there are lots of regulations regarding li-on batteries so they dont get mismatched stuff and explosions. Anyway, that may well be one of the many reasons the batteries are sealed and must be done by a dealer.

just grab 4 of the same 18650's off ebay , get brand name ones Panasonic's etc.. pull the holder apart and put them in the way they came out. I seen inside the pack and it took an hr. a soldering iron is needed.

laptops have had these battery's in them for as long as laptops have been around , now the slimline's are going lipoly ..

no need to fear them, pack I repacked going strong 3 years latter..

AJ

Come on guys......... we shouldnt have to redesign/mod a new detector before its even out.....nor should you have to carry extra methods of charging for a NEW machine. I willl miss not being able to rotate my batteries...... BUT i dont plan on doing anything with what i have. ANY machine now days should give us at least 8 hours of quality hunting EVERYDAY.

Dew

I detect through the night on beaches. I need more than 12 hours at times. 20 hours would have made it much better.