Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Park 1 or Park 2 for high conductors???

Dan(NM)

I haven't been able to hunt with my Nox 800 much in the last 8 weeks and only hunted with it a few times when I first got it. So I'm sitting on the sidelines until we get the house ready to sell. What is the consensus on high conductors, Park 1 or 2? Since many out there are getting in the field much more than I, what's your experience on deep silver and copper?

I run park 2. I've seen where others have tested with a silver coin on edge.. park 1 (and field 1 as well) didn't hit it very good. Park 2 (and field 2) hit hard on the silver coin on edge

I hunt trashy parks and have started with park 2 get too many hits and this makes it difficult to lock on one. thinking of changing threshold? or going to smaller coil when they become available. any thoughts?

Pondmn said:
I hunt trashy parks and have started with park 2 get too many hits and this makes it difficult to lock on one. thinking of changing threshold? or going to smaller coil when they become available. any thoughts?
My 2¢ is park 2 and to quiet it I reject up to +9. When it's noisy that's what I do. You can play with iron bias as well. It hits high conductors just fine

Ytcoinshooter said:
My 2¢ is park 2 and to quiet it I reject up to +9. When it's noisy that's what I do. You can play with iron bias as well. It hits high conductors just fine

Rejecting up to a +9 will keep you from finding gold chains, small gold coins and gold earrings. Chains usually hit at a 1 (same as a gum wrapper) gold coins the size of a dime be a 1 or 3, or larger coins will hit higher. its great to not have to dig trash, but you are leaving all the good stuff for me.

I switched from Park 1 to Park 2 and reject everything up to 19. I use this now solely for coin shooting and not looking for gold objects. In hunted out parks it works very well, today I pulled at 1903 Canadian Large cent on edge in trash at 8 inches. Park 2 gets coins on edge and Park 1 is a fail in this situation. If someone tells you coins aren't on edge they are wrong the oldest coins I find in parks now are on edge. Be aware they will not be where you pinpoint but to the side of the hole. The large cent I got today was 3 inches from where I dug the hole in the side. Use your pin pointer to determine where and dig out the side of the hole carefully. If you take your time you will find it and see that its is standing straight up on edge. That's the nice thing about the Equinox it gives you options and once you learn it's language you will be able to retrieve objects that numerous other hunters have passed over.

BobOso said:

Rejecting up to a +9 will keep you from finding gold chains, small gold coins and gold earrings. Chains usually hit at a 1 (same as a gum wrapper) gold coins the size of a dime be a 1 or 3, or larger coins will hit higher. its great to not have to dig trash, but you are leaving all the good stuff for me.

Its a numbers game. Gold may not even be there and if it is there is very little of it , so digging lots of likely trash signals looking for it is something many of us often avoid. That extra time saved helps cover more ground and increases the chances of winding up with silver by the end of the hunt instead of a pouch full of foil and pull tabs. Its a calculated risk since the odds are usually against finding gold anyway. Some of us go after the gold regardless of what it takes and some of us would rather dig 50 clad coins to get a silver than 5000 bits of aluminum to get gold that may not even be there. But everybody has their own strategy.

How true!-----Also, it depends on how good your back (and your patience is).:)
ohiochris said:

Its a numbers game. Gold may not even be there and if it is there is very little of it , so digging lots of likely trash signals looking for it is something many of us often avoid. That extra time saved helps cover more ground and increases the chances of winding up with silver by the end of the hunt instead of a pouch full of foil and pull tabs. Its a calculated risk since the odds are usually against finding gold anyway. Some of us go after the gold regardless of what it takes and some of us would rather dig 50 clad coins to get a silver than 5000 bits of aluminum to get gold that may not even be there. But everybody has their own strategy.

I usually like to dig every signal because you never know what your going to find. Recently I have been hunting a park that has been around since the early twenties. The park is just loaded with pop tabs, more than I have ever seen. Today using my Tesoro Silver Umax I set it to discriminate tabes and found my first old coin, a 1917 wheatie. My wife bought me a Equinox 600 for my birthday, this Wednesday. Thinking I may want to set it to cut out these tabs. I know I may loose gold and nickels but I think I may find some good silver. What do y'all think, good strategy or should I keep on digging the tabs ?

BobOso said:

He asked about high conductors, I was staying in topic. What you said about gold chains has been well established. Sounds like he's cherry picking, if he's digging those lows he may not movevoff one spot in a trashy park. Myself, I'm digging those low #'s based on the site I'm hunting, always at the beach & swim areas. Certain heavily used sports fields may be another if I'm not hunting old coins.

hunt2day said:
I usually like to dig every signal because you never know what your going to find. Recently I have been hunting a park that has been around since the early twenties. The park is just loaded with pop tabs, more than I have ever seen. Today using my Tesoro Silver Umax I set it to discriminate tabes and found my first old coin, a 1917 wheatie. My wife bought me a Equinox 600 for my birthday, this Wednesday. Thinking I may want to set it to cut out these tabs. I know I may loose gold and nickels but I think I may find some good silver. What do y'all think, good strategy or should I keep on digging the tabs ?

Dont discriminate them out, just stop digging them. Train your brain to listen for the high tones amonst all the mids and lows. I have places that sound like mid-tone machine guns with the nox, but I am digging old wheats, indians and silvers by listening around the junk

Well, tomorrow I get my 600 so I'm going to take it out and try and use the tone to not dig so many pop tabs. Never seen so many but I know theres treasure hidden amount the trash !

Ytcoinshooter hit the nail on the head as far as I’m concerned.......The beach is easy digging and folks are more apt to loose jewelry there more than parks.....Old parks are better for old coins..........Jim

I tried my 600 out yesterday for the first time at a local old park. I am mostly a beach hunter but thought I would give it a try. OMG that turned out to be a nightmare experience. I was using Park 2 with no other adjusted settings and I swear I got an audible hit every 6" like 5-10 hits per swing, mostly running in the 9 to 20 range. I turned down the sensitivity and it helped a little but this was a seriously challenging task. I wanted to know what was down there so I started digging all targets, the ground was super hard and challenging to dig. I now know why people have pinpointers, good grief it was hard to find the target. Anyway after seriously aerating the ground I found one quarter, a mess of chewed up aluminum, lots of deep pop tabs, old brass sprinkler valves and so on. I spent an hour digging until my hands hurt.....I tell ya I suck at park hunting! I never have seen anyone detecting in this particular park so it has to have some good stuff but there needs to be a better way than what I am doing. Any suggestions for me? After this experience I'm heading back to the beach!

Hotrod65 said:
..... Any suggestions for me? After this experience I'm heading back to the beach!

Unfortunately, it takes practice. Its such a sensitive machine, its hard to use in trashy parks until you get your brain wrapped around the responses.