Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Park shoveler

When I first turned it on in #2 setting.
I was near my tool chest and it instantly went off.
I measured in #3 setting.
And it's hitting that tool chest at 17 inches.
Why would you ever air test near a large metallic object at all? My car will detect at feet if I get anywhere near. An air test on a pinpointer has to be reasonably isolated.

Why diid you call my post "That's so sad" in a later post when I said I never have seen an air test on a Carrot hit 6 inches, and "KEEP THAT PINPOINTER?" Just trying to know.

Why would you ever air test near a large metallic object at all? My car will detect at feet if I get anywhere near. An air test on a pinpointer has to be reasonably isolated.

Why diid you call my post "That's so sad" in a later post when I said I never have seen an air test on a Carrot hit 6 inches, and "KEEP THAT PINPOINTER?" Just trying to know.
It's sad you can only find a quarter at 2.5".
Should be able to do better than that.
Unless you're digging fresh drops.
Silver that's been in the ground 60+ years un disturbed is different. You know that.
I can't replicate that with an air test.
And I stand corrected.
I grabbed a silver half out of the silver bowl last night. Sorry it was dark and I was very tired.
This morning did that again.
3-4" in air.
Though I don't dig coins in air.
As for the tool box.
I just found it interesting the carrot saw it at a measured 17". And the others at 8-10" less the distance. Sorry detecting at they're maximum was interesting. Then I got stuck walking around the house looking for treasures in the walls. 😄
Fell asleep dreaming of black beards treasure.
Gotta love OCD.

It's sad you can only find a quarter at 2.5"
"It's sad you can only find a quarter at 2.5"

I find lots deep quarters all of the time, pre dug, but I have never air tested a quarter, in an isolated environment, or ever gotten any more range than 2.5-3 inches at best, IN A CONTROLLED AIR TEST ENVIRONMENT. Do an air test and show me you read 6 inches on a quarter. Get that quick video done.

If you can give me any another link showing anywhere, showing a 4 or 6 inch air test on the Carrot, that will be fine.

Give me a video of your air testing a quarter at 6 inches. Simple request.

The Carrot will simply not do that. Prove it if yours does see a quarter in a controlled air test anywhere above 4 inches. Thanks

To clarify, we are talking about the Carrot detecting pinpoint, not the actual detector.

Last edited:
Not to change the subject but to change the subject ... The first thing I do before digging (not beach) is to run my f-pulse or TRX over the spot to see if it's 'shallow' and if so 'size' it, pinpoint the target's location. That is one reason I want the deepest pp I can get. Doing this I can minimize the size of plug I dig in a park or lawn. In those situations I can use a very small trowel. You will NEVER see me use a probe or screwdriver while metal detecting.

"It's sad you can only find a quarter at 2.5"

I find lots deep quarters all of the time, pre dug, but I have never air tested a quarter, in an isolated environment, or ever gotten any more range than 2.5-3 inches at best, IN A CONTROLLED AIR TEST ENVIRONMENT. Do an air test and show me you read 6 inches on a quarter. Get that quick video done.

If you can give me any another link showing anywhere, showing a 4 or 6 inch air test on the Carrot, that will be fine.

Give me a video of your air testing a quarter at 6 inches. Simple request.

The Carrot will simply not do that. Prove it if yours does see a quarter in a controlled air test anywhere above 4 inches. Thanks

To clarify, we are talking about the Carrot detecting pinpoint, not the actual detector.
Just like detectors.
Air test suks. If you've detected for any length of time. You know old coins even old iron give a better signal than air test. Ever hear of Halo effect.
It happens with coppers silver and especially iron.
If you don't know look it up.
I said I pinpointed and dug old silver at six inches in the hole. I don't usually measure shallow digs.
I've dug coins up to a foot.
Obviously the pinpointers didn't hit that.
Though as usual with the top few inches off they'll hit.
Halo effect.

Just like detectors.
Air test suks. If you've detected for any length of time. You know old coins even old iron give a better signal than air test. Ever hear of Halo effect.
It happens with coppers silver and especially iron.
If you don't know look it up.
I said I pinpointed and dug old silver at six inches in the hole. I don't usually measure shallow digs.
I've dug coins up to a foot.
Obviously the pinpointers didn't hit that.
Though as usual with the top few inches off they'll hit.
Halo effect.

So your Carrot won't actually test 6 inches in the standard air test? An air test is one standard in comparing pinpointers, always has been. Not perfect, but a standard. Your Carrot is lame against many other PPRs. I own half a dozen. The F-Pulse and TRX beats it in detection distance hands down, dirt or air. Just because you found dug a quarter at 6 inches and happened to have used the Carrot, unless the Carrot literally sensed the quarter "pre-dig" at 6 inches, means less than even an air test. I hope this makes sense.

Just for fun, do an air test on a quarter with a ruler and isolated area.

Last edited:
So your Carrot won't actually test 6 inches in the standard air test? An air test is one standard in comparing pinpointers, always has been. Not perfect, but a standard. Your Carrot is lame against many other PPRs. I own half a dozen. The F-Pulse and TRX beats it in detection distance hands down, dirt or air. Just because you found dug a quarter at 6 inches and happened to have used the Carrot, unless the Carrot literally sensed the quarter "pre-dig" at 6 inches, means less than even an air test. I hope this makes sense.

Just for fun, do an air test on a quarter with a ruler and isolated area.
I've already told you what I did. Enough
Don't believe me. I'm to old to give a crap...
It happened. I did it. Believe it or not.

I've already told you what I did. Enough
Don't believe me. I'm to old to give a crap...
It happened. I did it. Believe it or not.
Ok so no actual air test. Again, just digging a detected target and finding a 6" deep quarter has nothing to do with the Carrot. Any pinpointer can show a surprise target at 6 inches, and most of all, junk as well. My lamest PPR can do that. Have a good day!

I dug them.
I fine pinpoint with the carrot.
I will say the brand new one I recently purchased for a backup does not go as deep.
Okay. Just now playing with it.
Yup. Almost 7 inches in air.
A little side note.
When I first turned it on in #2 setting.
I was near my tool chest and it instantly went off.
I measured in #3 setting.
And it's hitting that tool chest at 17 inches.
That surprised me.
Did I get a hot rod Lincoln version ? 😏

The Quest and Nokta about a ft.
And the XP mi6 about 10 inches from the tool chest.
You wrote, "
Yup. "Almost 7 inches in air." Prove even 4 inches in air. Show an air test for us. I will keep asking this. A simple air test is easy to show. A clad quarter won't hit more than 3.5 inches, 2 and 1/2 inches is acceptable, for the Carrot.

Last edited:
Ok so no actual air test. Again, just digging a detected target and finding a 6" deep quarter has nothing to do with the Carrot. Any pinpointer can show a surprise target at 6 inches, and most of all, junk as well. My lamest PPR can do that. Have a good day!
Boy you got rocks in your head.
Apparently you can't read what was written.
Even an admission of my error !!
Did you even bother to understand Halo effect ?
I told you above I did an air test.
And air tests are Not a standard.
Actual in the ground in your soil is closer to reality.
Though targets that have been in the ground for years is a real test. And are targets of greatest interest. Typically old silver and copper.
Maybe some day you'll hit an Old coin that you'll find your pinpointer went Deeper than your used to.
Reputation. Ain't got one.
Maybe that's your problem.
Gotta be what you say or everyone else is a liar.
Again. That's dad.
Good Luck ...

Though targets that have been in the ground for years is a real test. And are targets of greatest interest. Typically old silver and copper.
Maybe some day you'll hit an Old coin that you'll find your pinpointer went Deeper than your used to.
Again. That's dad.
Good Luck ...
Does anyone else here air test a quarter at 7 inches with any pinpointer, specifically the Carrot? I would really enjoy seeing it.

Again. That's dad.
Good Luck ...
Simply show us the air test you said you did. Rocks In My Head

These are my digging tools.
First image tools I modified for tree roots and popping coins.
The far right one being my favorite. Great in gravel too.
Second image your average digging tools
Except the trowels. I sharpened and shaped the edges for cutting sod like butter.
Top rt the hand mattox is my favorite in sand and especially gravel. It's a great digger. The scoop end is four inches wide and can really move material.
Appreciate your sharing photos of your digging tools. I’m interested in hearing more about how you Modified your coin poppers. Did you preheat the screwdriver or cold forge the bend? Being cautious about using digging tools in public spaces I do probe for my target after I locate with a carrot. Deeper targets I’m passing on it for now. I was shown many years ago by illustration from a senior member a technique for coin popping. A standard screwdriver and a second handle for leveraging the popping the target.
I have observed that conditions vary often as to how much depth my equipment reaches. My guess is that finding a target in previously hunted exact location was perhaps a missed opportunity. Better day or conditions for detecting? Either way I found something where I have covered before. Think a tuft of grass in a bare section of park lawn Inches down.

Appreciate your sharing photos of your digging tools. I’m interested in hearing more about how you Modified your coin poppers. Did you preheat the screwdriver or cold forge the bend? Being cautious about using digging tools in public spaces I do probe for my target after I locate with a carrot. Deeper targets I’m passing on it for now. I was shown many years ago by illustration from a senior member a technique for coin popping. A standard screwdriver and a second handle for leveraging the popping the target.
I have observed that conditions vary often as to how much depth my equipment reaches. My guess is that finding a target in previously hunted exact location was perhaps a missed opportunity. Better day or conditions for detecting? Either way I found something where I have covered before. Think a tuft of grass in a bare section of park lawn Inches down.
The screwdriver's I heated with a torch to cherry red. Using a chisel and ball end body hammers. I beat the Grove shape in them with continuous heating slowly beat the curve in. An old machinest V block helped. I used a die grinder to make everything smooth and shape the spoon section. The cheap wood screwdriver I got at harbor freight. First time I used it the shaft pulled out of the handle.
Tried to drill it to pin it. To hard. I had to anneal the shaft,, soften the metal by heating to cherry red then let it sit to air cool. Then re temper it after drilling. Being your going to be digging and prying with it you don't want it to hard. I shine up the metal. Heat to cherry red watching the color changes as the metal cools.
Watching for the Amber straw color then quench.
That's a chisel hardness. Quite durable.
Automatic transmission fluid works pretty well for quenching. Though I now use a special quenching fluid. I also case harden the digging part of the tools for long wear. I use Brownells case hardening compound and quench. Originally made for doing gun parts like triggers and sears. Fantastic stuff. I've been using the wood handle one for many years with no signs of wear.
To case harden. Heat part to cherry red. Dip into compound. Thoroughly coating the part. Let cool. Heat to cherry red again then quench. For durability bake in oven at 400 degrees for 4 hours in either charcoal or sand. Like in a bread tray. Covering the part. Called drawing. Takes the stresses out so it won't crack in use. Any questions ?
Love to see what you make.

Here's where to buy the case hardening and quench. I buy in bulk. Hate running out.

Here's a little info on heat treating.

As I mentioned I Love the wood handled tool the best.
When I'm digging down in hard ground or gravels.
And I'm having difficulty getting dirt loose.
I first pinpoint then use that tool to dig to side's of target loosening the ground nicely. That tool is always with me no matter where I'm digging.
I love those trowels. Makes the cleanest cuts in sod. Like a hot knife thru butter. Unless the ground is like concrete. Then I get my miney digging spade.
Notice the edges on the trowel. Hand tapered and polished. Brought to a razors edge. Then dulled just enough not to cut skin.
This was my favorite one I broke the handle off.
Gotta get around to tigging it back on.

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_125915_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20230908_125915_hdr.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230908_125850_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20230908_125850_hdr.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230908_131715_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20230908_131715_hdr.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230908_131559_hdr.jpg