Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Problem Extending Rod

OK, no jokes. (I know the way you all think!)

I thought it would be a good idea to collapse the rod down for easier storage last week, but when I went to extend it this morning, I had a lot of trouble extending it. I was afraid to pull hard because I was afraid that if the cables were twisted I could damage the connectors or the cables. I had to wiggle it side to side to slowly work it out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes I've had that problem as well. There is dirt inside the shaft. Run clean water through it..

One of the many solutions posted in the early days of the release of the CTX was to extend and collapse the rod vertically. Put the coil on the ground and weight it down with your toe and pull the upper section up. What I do is lift up on the lower section while pushing down on the upper to relieve the binding, it comes second nature to me and works great.

I got some diver.s zipper wax for my Excall shaft and put some on the CTX shaft and it seemed to make a big difference. I bought the stick and one application last a long time. Just a little food for thought. HH :minelab:

My brand new, never used CTX is the same. Hard to extend without wiggling the shaft.

Tom in SC

Mine was a clean as could be but was stuck solid.
I had to really yank on it to get it to break free must of been a small piece of sand or something like that.

I used a dry lube that is a liquid that sprays on. Alow to dry. spray again, let dry. Works great.

Carver

Larry (IL) said:
One of the many solutions posted in the early days of the release of the CTX was to extend and collapse the rod vertically. Put the coil on the ground and weight it down with your toe and pull the upper section up. What I do is lift up on the lower section while pushing down on the upper to relieve the binding, it comes second nature to me and works great.

I suddenly started having this problem right after I got the CTX one night after a hunt a couple of weeks ago. I figured the cold air was doing it but nope. It continued to do it until I experimented a little with different techniques of how to move the shaft up and down. Like Larry said, lifting up on the lower section and pushing down on the upper section does relieve the binding. It also helps to hold the detector vertically level and do this at the same time. It slides smoothly that way. I have to adjust it every time I go hunting because it won't fit in my car fully extended.

Any type of wax works fine for a period of time, used several. They work fine for me for a day or two; which is usually how long it is before I put a muddy or dirty glove on the it. After that I clean it reapply and start the cycle again.

Unless you use it in a dirt free, dry environment, it don;'t believe there is a one time fix.

This is just part of routine TLC.