Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

safari or etrac??

bigdad75

I went out the other day to a old farm that i hit most of last year and all i dug were nails giving me good tones the right numbers for silver with my new etrac with the 12x15 sef on it, started to remind me of my v3i,i know i have to get used to it but i hope its gets better than this!now last year with my safari i dug just about everything IHs ,wheat's,large cents,a 3cent,Rosie's,mercs,but nothing larger,that's why i decided to try the etrac,today i started loading some programs i got on line to see how they will work but the ground is hard as a rock today.so I'm looking for ideas so when i get to go out again i can start digging the quarters and half's,

I too have a Safari and I just purchased a used E-trac. The Safari is a good machine for sure but the fact that we only get visual range of -10 through 40 means I was digging a lot of trash. The E-trac has a two dimensional visual indicator and I've only hunted with it three times . . . but it was the least amount of trash I dug. Ultimately if you put that E-trac over the silver or the wheats and whatnot it will pick them up too. Trick is finding the ground with those goodies in it (my current problem haha).

I had a Safari - it's a great machine - but it's not in the same league as the E-Trac !
Also, the 15 degree angle change on the E-Trac's handle makes it feel a lot lighter than the Safari's and Explorer's - this is a huge plus if you go on long hunts or use larger coils !

Good luck !

Get the ET , its far better than the Safari, been on the beach against a Safari user and i walked all over him for finds .

First thing to do at an old farm with lots of nails is to use a small coil. This is going to help a ton.

Nuke em said:
Get the ET , its far better than the Safari, been on the beach against a Safari user and i walked all over him for finds .
I don't think that's a good example. Perhaps you're more experienced than the Safari user. Also it doesn't matter what machine you use, if your coil isn't over a target you won't find anything and luck has a huge effect. Some days you eat bear and some days the bear eats you. E-trac and Safari have same depth capabilities and no matter how many bells and whistles you have the only 100% positive ID on a target is seeing it in your hand!!

I beg to differ, I've walked right behind people with my e-trac and been poppin out coins left and right that their machines didn't even pick up. It is not the depth its the separation.

Nails pull-tabs whatever when there are multiple targets under your coil slow down. A small coil will work much better. The E-Trac in two-tone ferrous is very good in trash along with more options the Safari does not have. I too had a Safari and got an E-Trac and the E-Trac can be programed for about any situation. The FBS machines are the same as far as depth but for all out brute strength the E-Trac is hard to beat. HH :minelab:

ill have to get a smaller coil to try ,i sold my 6x8 with the safari,i haven't given up on the etrac but i guess i was just expecting more,Ive only used it for 3 hours and all i did was charge the battery and take it out to try it out, but now i did some reading and i made a few changes and when the ground thaws again ill be out,i know i might have cleaned up the area already but i was just hoping there was more to dig and ill keep trying,its a 400 acre farm and i did so well just in front of the house Ive never touched the rest yet,and the two tone i think i will give a try.
ill let ya know how i do,i think my biggest mistake was just taking it out without even doing any reading or setups on it

gunsil said:
Nuke em said:
I don't think that's a good example. Perhaps you're more experienced than the Safari user. Also it doesn't matter what machine you use, if your coil isn't over a target you won't find anything and luck has a huge effect. Some days you eat bear and some days the bear eats you. E-trac and Safari have same depth capabilities and no matter how many bells and whistles you have the only 100% positive ID on a target is seeing it in your hand!!

I thought the post was about which machine they should choose , i only said which i prefer and that as the person on the beach is an experienced user of the Safari and missed many targets i found behind him then i think the ET is far better . It has better target I.D. and even though they may be the same coil and depth that doesn't mean they are the same capability or they would be the same price.

Another

i was trying to figure out what everyone else thought about the two detectors,i did a few changes on the etrac and went out today,got some good signals and paid more attention to the tones from different angles and the numbers i think they may be good targets but i just couldn't dig, that ground was so hard i would need a jack hammer to break through so i put a paint spot on the area and will check it out when the ground thaws

I think the biggest mistake many people make with both the Etrac and Explorers is that many just don't slow down their swing speed. I can tell you that if you are hunting a piece of ground that you are sure should have some good coins in it but they just are not coming thru the headphones, go back over it much slower.

That same section of ground will produce coins. What happens is all the junk just under the surface is hiding the coins from coming thru your headphones. Sometimes the coin isn't "Masked", it just that your ears miss the little chirp the coin makes and all you are hearing is the junk.

If you are hunting an older piece of ground and while swinging the coil you just don't seem to be hitting any deeper targets, I mean targets that are shown on the depth meter to be half way or deeper.. you need to slow the coil and soon you will see those deeper targets. Most any soil that has not been disturbed for a long time will have deeper targets.

I personally think that most who complain about these detectors not producing are just swinging to fast.

The Etrac is better in trash for most because

A: Its faster processor helps
B: It handles discrimination better than the Explorers

Both of these detectors can and will find equally deep coins, they just need to be used properly.

A smaller coil or going to an SEF coil will cut down on your trash.As far as Etrac having a bigger processor it needs it with the 1700 hundred pixels and all the bells and whistles does not mean that it is any faster than Safari it just takes all that to run it.I have seen dozens of Etrac users having 75 percent or better of pixels blacked out really helps me determine that there is plenty left in the ground when I see that.The Safari has 50,I use 39 for the life of me I do not know why you would want 1700.I have owned 3 Etracs,I have trained 11 people on the use of Etrac and Safari both are good machines.If someone has been hunting more than 20 years I recommend the Safari if they are new to Hobby I will tell them to buy Etrac.Etrac has auto features that helps a newcomer learn and speak Minelab then when they think that they got it down, I go behind them with my Safari and show them how much they are missing.It is not the fault of the Etrac it is all the extra settings that can make you set up the Etrac to lessen the performance of the machine the Safari will not let you get into that problem because it does not have the features.Why do you need to see the FE line 90 percent of the time it is at 12 and when it is not on 12,would you not dig a 13- 35 ?The Etrac is like luxury car it is very nice and does the work for you in auto which is causing you to miss targets,So Etrac users -open up all those pixels,put cover over that screen,run sensitivity in manual,hear what your machine is telling you,enhance your personal operator skills and you too could not leave those goodies behind for those bare bone Safari users.The answer to your Question is look how great you were doing with your Safari.Unless you find virgin ground you are not going to find anything bigger or deeper with Etrac,I and the rest of us old hunters sucked all that easy stuff in the 70's,80's,90's .I remember finding Half dollars and Quarters by the pocket full with a Garret Ground Hog a bad day was not finding at least 5 dollars in silver.You want to find bigger silver you need to find new ground.You find silver half today it is find of the month, to bad coins do not breed.I really liked running the old BFO detectors,felt like I was driving a space ship.

I can vouch for that salters,my husband has the explorer and when he can't get a good signal or isn't sure if it's rubbish or not he calls me over with my e-trac to check it for him.

HH ..