Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Screen protection

DocBrown

When I got home from hunting last weekend I found a scratch across the screen of my CTX . I know that with regular use things are going to happen but still it bothered me . Then I remembered that I had a bottle of plastic polish that I use to clean cars. So with a little elbow grease and plenty of determination and a bottle of Meguiars Plastx I removed the scratch and the screen looks as good as new . Which brings me to the question .What do you use to protect your detector

I use the Fellows brand pda screen protectors. they do the job but there are probably better ones available. I also have a cover which fits over the whole control unit, but it makes it very hard to read the screen due to the glare.

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Writeright-Universal-Screen-Protectors/dp/B000REEA7S

I bought a Whites Spectra V3 rain/dust cover on eBay for $14.99 for mine and it fits fine. You really need one if you are relic hunting in a brushy area and Minelab has not came out with one to my knowledge. I checked with my dealer before I ordered this one. It comes with the Velcro closer in the back.

For years I've used a piece of clear plastic from food containers, (pies, glazed donuts, etc) cut to fit the screen. Double stick tape (cut 1/8" wide) all around the edge keeps dirt from getting under. Works good for me.

Any Z A G G product or similar screen protector will work - if you get one for the IPAD you can cut it to fit and have left overs for others should this one get damaged. Other users have used the same product, but for the iphone and cut it to fit just the screen.

I have the milspec cover and it does a decent job, although I believe that it adds to the glare problem of the CTX.

I just got one from a guy on ebay. 14.99 plus shipping. This thing is really nice and it fits the screen like a glove. It has elastic on the the bottom to hold it fast. Just type ctx 3030 in search.

My wife found some non glare screen protectors at the discount store. Had to cut to fit but I think there were five small sheets in the pack and can make two from each one. The non glare type seem to help some in the bright sunshine

I use an Ipad screen proctector from the dollar store. it cost a buck and it can be cut into 4 pieces.

Where do you buy the Meguiars Plastx from? I use whatever Ray had in his car the day I met up with him plus he professionally installed it... :) I believe it was to his cell phone...

G..

i just stretch sahran wrap tight around anything i dont want gettin trashed and a few pieces of scoth tape,,, seems cheesy on 2500 dollar detector but at a couple bucks a roll it works and can be ripped off and replaced many times before the roll runs out.......

I want to thank everyone for there input on my question . I may end up doing both the cell phone screen protection method and the dust ,dirt cover method .I can see the advantages to both .

Guvner said:
Where do you buy the Meguiars Plastx from? I use whatever Ray had in his car the day I met up with him plus he professionally installed it... :) I believe it was to his cell phone...

G..

I got mine at Autozone but I would say that any PepBoys or similar store would have it.

HH all DocBrown

I ordered an ipad screen cover from that company that starts with a Z and trimmed it to size. I know they have this 50% off code anazbdjpja thru the 16th.

Larry (IN) said:
I ordered an ipad screen cover from that company that starts with a Z and trimmed it to size.

Larry, I did too and it works great; I guess you're talking about that company that starts with a Z and ends with two Gs and when we try to spell their name on here this is what you get ZAGG, Go figure :wacko:

I also have the one from E-bay, fits real good and is made good, I recommend it for anyone, I also have a I-pad cover on mine just in case.

Have a look at this from the friendly forums:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=118412&highlight=shrink+wrap