Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Screen protection

That is my post. I've had that same shrink wrap bag on my etrac for about 5 months. It has one tear on the back which I put some tape on. I'm going to make a video on how to replace it. They are cheap and tough. The 3030 will most likely take a smaller bag? But the larget bag will work as long as you tape up the loose plastic around the back. This wrap has no glare and is tough. They are simply called PVC shrink wrap bags. I bought 50 for about 8 bucks on feebay. It looks like I may go through 3 a year?????

khouse said:
The 3030 will most likely take a smaller bag? But the larget bag will work as long as you tape up the loose plastic around the back.

khouse - I will let everyone know here if the CTX will work with these bags.

Also, are you using standard clear packaging tape?

Kenny - you are a genius. Works like a champ just as you described. Will give it a try in the field tomorrow as well as some photos.

I don't know why everyone didn't jump on the bag idea? I've had mine on for months and it wears like iron. But the best thing as you can see is there is no added glare you get from the other covers. I hated those bulky and hard to install covers being sold. I'm going to make a vid on removing and installing a shrink wrap cover. Please post some pictures!

I will - definitely the way to go. I bought and used the MILSPEC cover and, while it is well made, made the display unreadable in the daylight. This approach gives some minor abrasion protection while keeping the buttons and display panel nice and clean as well as easy to read.

Now I have to see if I can get it to fit my son's AT Gold.

I tried one of those static covers you use on a Ipad or Kindle. It too was too shiny. It also didn't seal well down by the buttons and let some dirt under it as well. Plus it didn't protect the sides or back from dirt. I was really bummed out because I bought two types of enviro covers and the screen protector and none worked very good. Heck the ML cover was so hard to stretch over the head I thought I was going to break something. Anyway the shrink wrap was the solution.

I use a purpose made box cover made by the main UK dealer here, tight fit and well made , only thing they did not make a battery box cover too which i have asked for and hope they make them .

The glare is manageable and the adhesive looking layer you see underneath the wrap is actually an ipad protector cut to fit.

Looks a little ugly on the sides but this was the first attempt at 10PM after all day at work and little time to fit correctly. I took it out today in 34 degree weather and it did just fine.

It looks good to me. I'm getting to change mine out after about 6 months of use. I'm going to make a video on the removal and installation of the bag. Thanks for the picture!

What is the best size shrink wrap bag to get for this job? Would a 6" X 6" bag, be large enough to use? Thanks in advance for your help.

I used the 8x12 that Kenny had in his original post and cut it down to about half, so I think that a 6x6 would work fine. Remember that the material shrinks by 40% so take that into account on your length.

I have been bothered by this issue as well as every other 3030 owner, why would Minelab use such poor materials in the most critical places on their newest product? There are hundreds of materials available that could have been used for the screen other then the glare prone sure to get scratched stuff they did use. I sure hope Minelab is paying attention-- CHOOSE A BETTER MATERIAL FOR THE SCREEN NEXT TIME!!!!!!! This is one area that they sure messed up again. My 3 year old i-phone doesn't have a case or protector and doesn't have a single scratch on it! Minelab's engineers need to talk with Steve Job's engineers and make things right.

My E-trac got lots of tender care just like everyone here is describing, but what do you do when you go in the water? I tried a few of these tricks with the 3030 but none really worked and I got scratches, and that really irritates me because I really try to take care of my machines. I guess the only resolve is to use the polish and hope for the best.

We shouldn't have to shrink wrap or buy custom fitted dust covers for a machine that costs this darn much!

P.S. I really do love my 3030 :)

I agree. There are ways of making it more durable - but then again does that drive the cost of an over-priced machine up even more?

I have since ditched the shrink wrap due to moisture build-up in the cold weather.

There is something on my Razr phone called "Gorilla Glass". It is tough as nails. That would be a good option.

BrakingGnus said:
There is something on my Razr phone called "Gorilla Glass". It is tough as nails. That would be a good option.

That would be my first choice.

All too right, I'm sure they would up the price for something like this.

Gorilla Glass seems quite nice. I contacted Corning in hopes that they would sell small pieces to consumers. I'm sure there is a reliable and safe way to "stick" this over the existing screen. I'll post back when I hear from them. Even if I buy a replacement screen cover for a phone it might work.

Gorilla glass is tough stuff and would be the perfect material to use for this application.

I am strongly considering a CTX 3030 and have been looking at screen protecting options as well. I will likely use a high quality anti-glare, anti-reflective, scratch resistant film cover that is cheap, easy to apply, and used on countless phones, tables, etc.