Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Screen Repair Update (Thank you Minelab)

rluka

A big thank you goes out to Minelab for agreeing to cover the cost of repairing the screen on my CTX3030. The detector has been out of warranty for almost a year.

This is the original thread: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2289383,2289383#msg-2289383

Thanks again to the forum owners for letting me bring this issue here and thanks to everyone for your responses

Ron L

Good to see that Minelab stepped up and did the right thing and took care of you. :clapping:

Wow, 1 year out of warranty and they covered it!?!?!? Who does that anymore? [size=large]WTG Minelab!!![/size]
Man, you're sure making the haters mad with this thread! :detecting: Congratulations and WTG!

Champ Ferguson said:
WowMan, you're sure making the haters mad with this thread! :detecting: Congratulations and WTG!

I was here when the CTX3030 came out and there were some implied promises that weren't delivered. I, for one, thought that I was buying a product that was going to continue to be upgraded by way of the usb connection. They even advertised that in their original ad and that was removed. They even asked for our input here on the forum. There was a thread where they were asking us what we would like to see done and even that thread is gone. I had so many issues that had to be taken care of. I had to send the detector in three times at my expense to fix some issues. Personally, I really like what it does but the build quality leaves something to be desired. And the cost was out of this world . I have never paid soo much for something that was of such poor quality. And now its has been upgraded and we even have to pay for that when thats all I wanted in the first place, especially at that price. Im not a Minelab hater....Im just stating what went down in the past
Just sayin
Ron L

rluka said:
Champ Ferguson said:
WowMan, you're sure making the haters mad with this thread! :detecting: Congratulations and WTG!

I was here when the CTX3030 came out and there were some implied promises that weren't delivered. I, for one, thought that I was buying a product that was going to continue to be upgraded by way of the usb connection. They even advertised that in their original ad and that was removed. They even asked for our input here on the forum. There was a thread where they were asking us what we would like to see done and even that thread is gone. I had so many issues that had to be taken care of. I had to send the detector in three times at my expense to fix some issues. Personally, I really like what it does but the build quality leaves something to be desired. And the cost was out of this world . I have never paid soo much for something that was of such poor quality. And now its has been upgraded and we even have to pay for that when thats all I wanted in the first place, especially at that price. Im not a Minelab hater....Im just stating what went down in the past
Just sayin
Ron L

Wow, I wasn't even thinking of you, rluka. Hope you are able to get rid of that hunk of junk you have!

What exactly did Minelab say was the reason they decided to change their mind and cover the cost to repair your out of warranty detector?

GKMan said:
What exactly did Minelab say was the reason they decided to change their mind and cover the cost to repair your out of warranty detector?

Well, I saved all of my emails from past transactions and sent them some and maybe they realized that it should have been replaced again (for the second time). They sent me a replacement back then that had the same screen issue and they said that it wasn't a problem when in fact it was. So, now they will fix it at no cost to me.

Ron L

I know that, you have told us the backstory many times.
I am curious what Minelab said though at the point they agreed to cover the cost. Did they say it was their fault and it should have been repaired right the first time or did they simply say we are going to repair it?

Threads like this are the reason I am holding off on a CTX3030. I hear so many horror storied about poor customer service, outrageous repair costs and general lack of concern for the customer who just laid out nearly 3 grand on a metal detector. I have a few detectors and my V3i from WHITES was a problem from the start. I had one replaced inside of the first month I owned it and the second one, began to have problems shortly after that. While it was frustrating to have an expensive detector on the fritz so soon after buying it, WHITES was very helpful and assisted me with prompt service, no cost (well, it WAS under warranty) and professional communication. I'm so interested in the 3030, but if I have to jump through flaming hoops and pay through the nose to get things taken care of, it makes me very leery of making the purchase.

hrefab said:
Threads like this are the reason I am holding off on a CTX3030. I hear so many horror storied about poor customer service, outrageous repair costs and general lack of concern for the customer who just laid out nearly 3 grand on a metal detector. I have a few detectors and my V3i from WHITES was a problem from the start. I had one replaced inside of the first month I owned it and the second one, began to have problems shortly after that. While it was frustrating to have an expensive detector on the fritz so soon after buying it, WHITES was very helpful and assisted me with prompt service, no cost (well, it WAS under warranty) and professional communication. I'm so interested in the 3030, but if I have to jump through flaming hoops and pay through the nose to get things taken care of, it makes me very leery of making the purchase.

A vast majority of owners have not had problems with their CTX. I had an issue right out of the box and it was replaced. Since then I have been happily detecting with mine for years. There obviously has been a handful of threads created lately regarding issues with the CTX and they always get a lot of attention and responses similar to yours. I understand your concern, but I would suggest not letting a handful of issues affecting a small amount of units influence your decision to own a great detector. Also, no one is paying $3000 for a CTX.

As far as service goes, this thread stands alone as one of the strangest I have seen. I am pretty convinced Minelab finally just fixed it so it would go away. If I was someone looking into a CTX I wouldn't be worried about repairs being made during warranty and not resolved in a timely fashion.

Unfortunately there is a bad apple in every bushel but that leaves a lot of good ones in each bushel too. I would not pass on the opportunity to get a CTX because of the few who post their problems. Sure there are the problems that are Minelabs fault and they give you two years to get those fixed but many of the complaints posted on here over the years were the owners fault and Minelab even took care of some of those as well. Let's not sell ML short in the service department, they have come a long way from their early years.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's always good to hear the "real deal' from users. I have a love / hate relationship with my V3i, but I'm slowly coming around to it again. What irritated me the most was people telling me how great it was when I was having nothing but problems. (I guess that's human nature).. I think I got a little "gun shy" about these high end detectors,but the CTX has intrigued me from the time I first saw it. I like the GPS aspect and the fact that it's waterproof. Had I see it before I bought the V3i, I am sure I would have pulled the trigger on it instead.

Well at least now I can feel somewhat relieved and start saving my nickels and dimes for one... Still a big chunk of change, but then again, what isn't?
Thanks!

its only money hey :poke: cant take it with ya may as well buy some toys and have some fun !!

and I don't even own Codan shares !!

AJ

I recently called Minelab about lines in My screen and the lady that I talked to said that the screen is going out!! Hmmm, so She got Me set up to send it in to be fixed, but with parts and labor, it was gonna be over $300!! Yes Amy machine is out of warranty, but since when have We had to worry about the LCD screen going out?
tamrand2014@yahoo.com

jas415 said:
It is a fairly common part of human nature to let one 'Oh crap' wipe out a thousand atta boys.

Very true! I’ve got 3 years and many hundreds of hours on my CTX and it is FLAWLESS. But we generally don’t hear that. It sucks to be the odd guy out who has issues. In every manufacturing process there will be a hiccup here and there,and there’s a lot of stuff on this machine that COULD have a problem. There are ALL KINDS of threads with success stories for the past 6 years about the CTX and the magnificent things it’s capable of.
For the record,I bought my CTX for less than 2k brand new with all bells and whistles. I can’t say where,but make some calls. I found INSTANTANEOUS success with it and couldn’t be happier.
Things CAN happen,but it’s a pretty serious minority really. The old Ford Pinto COULD explode if rear ended just right. How many were made and how many blew up? It’s like that.

rluka said:

Just sayin
Ron L

Suggestion thread is in the resource center. https://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,1715037. Not that it matters.

Glad they fixed your CTX with a goodwill gesture.

HH