Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Second time out with the X-5 is even better!

cz70pro

I only had two hours to hunt this evening but after my success the night before with the X-5 I had to get back out there. After about an hour of hunting, the X-5 gave me plenty of signals to dig that were previously masked. I hunted along a chain link fence that I had not been able to get to close to with the stock coil and I ended up with 8 Memorials, one Jefferson and a clad quarter. Not bad for a heavily hunted area but I was hoping for something old.

There is a group of very old trees in one part of the field that I have detected to death. They have previously produced some early Wheats, Indians and Buffalo nickels as well as some jewelry but the last time I hunted there I had come up with zip nada. I wanted to see if the X-5 could do anything there so I walked over to an area between two of the trees. I immediately got a nice 10-23 which turned out to be an old shotgun head stamp at 5 inches. That was encouraging and about two feet away the threshold suddenly nulled over a three foot area. I slowed it down to a crawl to try and get the threshold back and luckily got a quick high tone right in the middle of all the iron. Once I wiggled it out, it was strong and clear and rang up at 12-44. I dug down and found a signal in the hole. It was a large rusty bent nail. I really did not think that was it so I ran the coil over the plug and it luckily gave me a high tone. I didn't have much hope for it as it was only 3 inches down but as I took a bit off the plug there sat an old and worn silver dime! It was covered in dirt so I whipped out the Foo and gave it a squirt. Luckily, I saw a wreath showing on that side. Barber or Seated? Flipped it over to rinse it off. I couldn't believe it. I had a last year 1891 Seated dime in my hand that was only 3 inches deep. It is amazing that I nor others I had invited to the park had ever been able to find this dime before but it was completely hidden by the iron all around it. Two feet from that signal I found a 1919 Wheat and a few feet from there around the tree I found another 1918 Wheat. I was stoked. By that time, it was dark and I reluctantly wrapped it up.

I am definitely heading back out there with the X-5. So far in two hunts of 6 hours in a beat to death area of a park, I have found 29 coins including 1 V nickel, 2 Buffaloes, 3 Wheats and now an 1891 Seated Dime. Pretty awesome.

Silver Bullet said:
Great find. I have a NEL 8x6 coil for my small coil, but you are making want to go even smaller. Thanks for the post.

Thanks Silver Bullet. It is an amazing coil.

Wow ! You have it tuned in !
I have a 6x8 sef and was wondering how the x5 would do vrs the 6x8 sef ?

Anyone got both coils?

Elmy said:
Wow ! You have it tuned in !
I have a 6x8 sef and was wondering how the x5 would do vrs the 6x8 sef ?

Anyone got both coils?

Thanks Elmy. I do not have the 6X8 so I could not say for sure. I am planning on picking one up though.

there is no comparison between the SEF 6x8 and the X-5. The SEF might cover more territory but the x-5 is deeper and separates great in trash and small areas. The target also is under the circle of the coil. Less dig and mess

I should not have opened this post.....now I am looking up the x5 at kellyco. thanks nalc !

Great Find with that seated dime. Well done! I have use the sunray X-5 extensively in past years and it is a great coil and the depth has surprised me a few times.
I also have The NEL Snake and have made some good finds with that. These days I am more of a big coil hunter as I enjoy that more.

floodplaindetector said:
Great Find with that seated dime. Well done! I have use the sunray X-5 extensively in past years and it is a great coil and the depth has surprised me a few times.
I also have The NEL Snake and have made some good finds with that. These days I am more of a big coil hunter as I enjoy that more.

Thanks much FPD. I like both types of hunting. Whenever I hit a place for the first time I use a larger coil until the signals become sparse. I've hunted this spot for years and it's is a great place with lots of history that's 20 minutes from the house that I can try different equipment on. After I'm done using the X-5 on it, I am planing to get either a Tornado or Thunder and give the bigger coil a try there. Haven't completely decided which one yet.

Congrats on the Seated !
A small coil on the E-Trac running in 2TF is a killer combo for sure !

E-TRAC-OHIO said:
Congrats on the Seated !
A small coil on the E-Trac running in 2TF is a killer combo for sure !

Thanks ETO. I am having an absolute blast with the X-5.