Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Signal Comparison between modes

Finally got to get the CTX on land after some much needed rain. Been predominantly water hunting so far. Went to an old park that has been heavily hunted with all kinds of detectors over the years. Hunting the last two days I picked an area where a buddy of mine had picked two wheats and a barber over many hunts with his E-Trac. This area had about been written off as picked clean of coins and ignoring trashy signals. I was running a modified park program, combined audio, auto plus 3, fast on, deep off, pinpointing sizing, response normal, gain at 24, and switched between high trash and ferrous coin for each target. On a side note, I went through this area and an adjacent area of the park specifically hunting deep iffy signals just to prove to myself what everybody else is saying that iffy's are just that, junk. So, note the picture that says 50 iffy's. I dug 50 targets, all 50 were iffy, and all were trash. What I defined as iffy were VDI numbers within ranges I would have dug with my SE. Keeping in mind that I am saying comparable numbers for like targets on the SE as it has completely different numbers than the CTX. All of these targets were only detectable in one direction but, would have qualified them as iffy because of the stability of the VDI number and all had clean audio response. Now, though my take for today was nothing stellar or to brag about, the fact that I pulled any coins especially from this section of the park is saying a lot. The four wheats are 1921, 1940, 1951 and a 1956. The Jeffersons are a 1964 and a 1959. Now, here is the reason I am posting this. What I found was that the numbers tend to be far less consistent on the FE side using high trash but, the CO remained constant. Verifying each target in Ferrous Coin stabilized the numbers and brought them more in line with the respective target. Also, made the depth accurate. This is clearly noted in the picture of the large piece of iron and the wheat penny comparing screen shots. In Ferrous Coin the audio was almost not there in open screen. In my discrimination screen it was nulled as the iron was sitting at 4 inches and the wheat was sitting at about 8 inches. What's really interesting to note is that in high trash I could hear the good target but, did not see the iron on the screen even though it was above the coin. You will note is shows 5 inches on the screen shot and in ferrous coin it shows 8. Ferrous Coin definitely does as advertised and truly separates the targets but, like the manual says, the audio may be masked by the iron. The quick recovery time of the CTX, I believe, allowed me to hear the target in high trash mode. Like I said, not stellar finds, but a great example of the power of the CTX and the versatility of this machine. I wish the video had come out but, due to user error it has great audio and a picture of the grass and parts of my detector in the frame but no screen, no hole, and no targets!!! Hopefully next time I will get a better video. Sorry for the long posting. Just thought it was interesting.

This is new to me so I am still learning the operation of the CTX, as we all are. I may be wrong here, and you all in the know, correct me if I am. I would guess, in High Trash you were getting info on the iron with "wrap around" effect, and (not knowing how your tone bins are set) were getting a high tone for the 1/41 target indication and depth to that target. In Ferrous coin your iron is shown (disced out) and so is the wheatie by target ID of 11/39. If 41 CO and 39 CO are both in the same tone bin, the sound would be the same for both target IDs......Again folks if I'm off base let me know..........

It did not take that many iffys for me. Good observation of the capabilities of the CTX. Seems no longer than the 3030 has been out people are finding out this is a special machine. A good target can not hide even with the Pro-Coil in trash and I'm talking about campground grill and picnic tables launching ramp trash. Congratulations on your finds and for posting. HH :minelab:

Yes I would agree with you same tone for both, same bin, but in ferrous coin only on p2 could I hear a peep. in p1 null, same program just ran high trash and switched over to ferrous coin never saw the iron in high trash.

C&RHunter said:
This is new to me so I am still learning the operation of the CTX, as we all are. I may be wrong here, and you all in the know, correct me if I am. I would guess, in High Trash you were getting info on the iron with "wrap around" effect, and (not knowing how your tone bins are set) were getting a high tone for the 1/41 target indication and depth to that target. In Ferrous coin your iron is shown (disced out) and so is the wheatie by target ID of 11/39. If 41 CO and 39 CO are both in the same tone bin, the sound would be the same for both target IDs......Again folks if I'm off base let me know..........

When we were putting together the coin chart, we also noticed the differences of Ferrous readings (in High and Low trash compared to Grd and Ferrous Coin), in some of the higher conductive targets. But I'd not seen it on the wheat cent as clearly demonstrated in your pictures. Only big silver. So with the information you've provided, I've changed the text portion of the chart. Thanks for taking time to record and post your findings. :beers: HH Randy

mtwolf - Great and informative post. You sort of made me think to go through the spot I have been hunting in high trash now and comparing signals in ferrous coin - I had been doing the opposite.
I'm curious - What is your ground like? Mine has some iron mineralization and high trash often gets that bounce on deeper targets (especially on zincs or coins near iron - like on the E-Trac).
High trash just doesn't seem that stable on many targets. Ferrous coin likes some disc it seems.

I have retracted a few earlier statements I made about the CTX:
1st - I thought recovery fast didn't affect the audio, it does, but seemingly moreso at depth. So, I am back to running fast off unless the trash gets high and I notice an increase in nulling (and I also drop the sensitivity then.)
2nd - Iffy signals - Many of them have been coins for me. I'll add some videos to my iffy signal thread when I get a chance - Iffy Signals Judging by the lack of responses, I get the feeling people are ignoring iffy signals?

Another note - 50CO falses a lot more on iron than Combine but I still like hunting in it and then just using the shortcut button to check targets in Combine. Even though 50CO falses more it doesn't miss the few targets Combine does (and I run 50CO with minimal disc and Combine open.)

Nice info,
Albert

Thanks for taking the time to put together a very informative post Matthew.

Earthman- We have red clay here in Tennessee and it is somewhat mineralized the bigger thing in this park is a ton of iron it is near and old mill, so nails and iron trash is everywhere. The big thing I noticed was the stablization of numbers. The screen shows 1 41 but in high trash it would read 3 41 1 41 6 41 yet in ferrous coin it was soild 2 targets on screen 11 39 12 40 11 39. I am going back out tommorrow and will try to get better video and some more comps between these modes to ensure it was not a fluke, The other wheats also were jumpy in high trash and settled down in ferrous coin. Thanks everyone for reading