Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver from two hunts this week

Thursday after work I got a chance to hunt an older home in town. The weather is so dry here that I normally wouldn't ask someone to hunt their yard, but this one is so unkempt that I didn't hesitate to ask. I found a 1913 Barber dime next to a tree about 5 inches down, then a few feet from that a 1951 rosie that was only 3 1/2 inches deep. Probably my best find was a men's silver ring that sounded off loud and clear with a 12-47, 12-48 signal, it was about six inches deep about a foot from the driveway. The ring hasn't been cleaned yet in the pic.
After reading the message about the difference between wet and dry soil, I decided last night to go back to a empty lot that I hunted all during the rainy season. I hunted the same area that I've been over at least 20 times before not expecting anything, I wasn't there 10 minutes and found a 1961 Franklin Half about 7 inches deep. A few minutes later I found a 1919 mercury that was only 4 1/2 inches deep, but there was a small chunk of iron in the hole with it. I'm not sure why I didn't find them before. I would appreciate any advice on how to get the black stuff off of the Franklin half.

Mike

If it is not a key date and you intend to keep it in your collection
I have found soaking it in silver dip for a few moments and then retrieving the coin wiping it with a clean soft cloth
afterward I will wash with dish detergent and then dry with soft cloth and that will bring out the shine
The Shine remains natural becauseyou use dip only for short period of time
Great finds and Good Luck

Very nice bunch of finds! It just reinforces the "no one ever gets it all" rule--just keep going back for more! I'm guessing the dry ground must of really helped minimize the iron signature near the dime so that it could be more easily seen by the Etrac. Since I don't plan on selling my coins, I gently clean them with Wright's Silver Polish (sorry to all the numismatics out there)--it seems to work pretty good for most stains that I've encountered.

Thanks for sharing the finds with us.

Very nice finds! Congrats.

LabradorBob

Awesome day of silver for sure, I have yet to try electrolisis on silver so I don't know what to offer. Congrats, beautiful finds

Moose

ironically.you DON'T need an e-trac to hunt private property,but if ya already own one,
and you asking,AND receiving permission to hunt,then it's a good thing!..
spending $1,500.00 just to hunt private yards is ok,however wouldn't one be really pissed off to realize that
a $150.00 tesoro compadre will do as well,IF all you are doing is attempting to hunt private yards!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt said:
ironically.you DON'T need an e-trac to hunt private property,but if ya already own one,
spending $1,500.00 just to hunt private yards is ok,however wouldn't one be really pissed off to realize that
a $150.00 tesoro compadre will do as well,IF all you are doing is attempting to hunt private yards!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Wow! Some of my best finds ever are from private yards. I love to hunt them because they typically have much less trash AND there is always a very real chance of finding jewelry. My favorite places to hunt are ghost towns, but private yards are a very close second. And I gotta say, I don't think a Compadre will match the Etrac anywhere (with the possible exception of planted competition hunts). Just sayin'

HH

Phillip

my point is, you can use ANY detector to hunt a private yard generally dont' need "top of the line!" big money detector!
i happened to mention a tesoro compadre because it's a cheap detector,but i am sure you get my point!
that's what i meant!....just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt said:

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Just sayin

What a GREAT hunt ! :clapping:

Congratultions on the finds Mike! Thanks for sharing with us.

NebTrac