Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

small coil

Bowie

I have been enjoying my ETrac it seems more and more. It has its place (s) and heavy iron littered sites (for me anyway) isnt one of them.
I have a 8 inch Sunray but I classify that as a midsize coil. I just cant make my mind up between two of the excelerator coils,4.5x7 or 6" eq2. Just wondering if the 4.5x7 is worth that much more money. Is it deeper,seperates as good as the 6.
Should have bought one while Kellyco had their sale going but Christmas is here and I have to wait a bit.
John

John-------I have all three of those coils (X-8, 6" EQ2 & 4.5 X 7").------Of the two you inquired about, (IMO) the 4.5 X 7 gets better separation, it cuts thru trash like a laser----the 6" gets a little better depth of the two.------They both work heavy trash VERY well though.----I think the X-8 is just great in moderate trash.-----I wouldn't want to be without any one of those three coils.--------Hope this helps ya a little.-----------Del

Heya Del and Merry Christmas. I am leaning toward the 4.5x7. I gotta sell a detector first, think Im gonna let go of my F7fse. Wanting to try out a GMP.
I will keep my ETrac for my parks and old schools.
Thanks,
John

Bowie
I have the 4.5x7, it seperates real good,good depth and will hit those coins on edge with confidence. The Etrac doesn't like small or oddball shaped items as well as your f75. The 4.5x7 hits harder on the odd ball size buttons and smaller lead items (cuff buttons, musket ball ect..)then the stock coil does. It doesn't hesitate it just slams on them way better. Kind of what your used to with the f75. I keep mine on most of the time now. If you want to try the 4.5x7 pm me I will send it to you to tryout before you buy.
GL
HH

Thanks Doc,very nice of you. You know I alway thought the ETrac had a liking for small round objects. I have always had a small coil for many of my machines. Ive had the ETrac for 3 years now and should have got a small coil instead of the X8. I use the 8 more than the pro coil.
Ive pretty much made up my mind to buy the 4.5x7,just gonna have to wait a couple more weeks.
Thanks again for the offer and Merry Christmas to you,
John

Used a 6" EQ2 for over 1000 hrs. - it's fantastic ( 7" - 8" Dimes ) but I like my 4.5" x 7" more - same or better performance as the 6" - but it's much better at getting in tight spots !

I always look at all the topics having to do with small coils. I think this is the first time I have ever seen the 4.5x7 be the one most mentioned. It is the coil I use 95% of the time. Great for detecting on the uneven ground in and around our ghost towns. Great separation, great depth! Love it!

Phillip_in_NM said:
I always look at all the topics having to do with small coils. I think this is the first time I have ever seen the 4.5x7 be the one most mentioned. It is the coil I use 95% of the time. Great for detecting on the uneven ground in and around our ghost towns. Great separation, great depth! Love it!

Very true. I searched the archives and noticed the same thing, although you have been a consistent advocate for the 4.5x7. I am in the market for a small coil to add to my SEF 6x8 and was 99% leaning towards the X-5 until I saw this discussion and your old posts. Now I am leaning towards the 4.5x7 for the reasons you have outlined. Thanks for sharing your opinions on the topic.

If I am correct both coils (4.5 x 7, 6") are DD, no? The two both have a blade of detection as do any DD so would the 1" defference in length give the 4.5 x 7" a bit more depth? I guess what I'm asking is for example: a 10 x 5 DD and 10" round would have the same depth but the 10 x 5 would be lighter and better for tighter spots, yes? I soon will be buying a small coil as well.

That isnt always true,jspeedy. Both the 4.5x7 and 6" excellerator coils are double D. I have neither and cant give any info in that regard. But,just because one is larger in size doesnt necessarily make it deeper. A lot has to do with the machine its used on and the coil makeup itself. Plus, many times with a smaller coil you can run the sensitivity up on it because it sees a smaller sample of the ground vs a larger coil. And, then there are larger coils that can be run at higher sensitivity settings vs maybe the stock coil of a particular machine. Many varibles.
That is why so many try out different coils.
My pockets arent deep,lol, so I like to get opinions.
I love to hunt old house sites from the early 1800s, about the earliest where I live. Nasty places full of iron and square nails. Unmasking is what I seek ,not concerned with depth as a whole. I do have and have had other machines, that are much faster in reacting than the ETrac. I wanted a smaller coil for my ETrac to try it out,again, in some of these places.
HH and Happy New Year,
John

Bowie, you already have the Sun Ray stealth X8 coil .... so you already know the quality built-in these coils ... Now for your solution, get yourself a Stealth X5 coil which is fantastic and SMALL and can run at 30 sen. If need be. Check out all the information available on this web site ( minelab explorer forum - Bryce-IL) Coil testing. Simple solution !! :detecting:

Yes, Ive looked over Bryce's coil testings,numerous times. Ive pretty much settled down on the excellerator coil. And I do know of Sunrays excellent quality. But, from what I have gathered and for my use, I think the 4.5x7 is what I want. I am not so much concerned with depth as I am masking and as I have read and talked with others on the phone, I do wanna give it a go.
Ive never seen the 4.5x7 up for sale,used. May be just not many out there or just maybe, they are keeping them for a reason. Dunno.
Im just a Humble Pirate, what do I know.
Thanks for your opion roadapple,
John

I bought the 4.5x7 coil w/cover and been on my E-Trac and have not taken it off yet. I have the 6" and the X-5 also and used them both. I will leave the 4.5x7 on as thats the one i like most. I also have the 8x6 sef and use that in a not so much trashy areas. Good luck on what ever coil you choose. HH , GS.

interesting thread.
Ive had both the 6inch and the 4.5x7 as well as the x-8 as my everyday coil. I sold my stock coil and got an x-12 too.
My preference between the 2 small coils you mentioned was for the 6inch. Basically I only used it in TTF in heavy trash.
I found some good stuff with the 4.5x 7, don't get me wrong. I just preferred the tone quality and overall 'feel' of the 6in.
Try them out first if you can. You cant go wrong with either one.
I have since sold the Etrac and got a CTX, which I have also since sold to finance a new furnace.
KInda miss that Etrac. . .

bik-il said:
I have since sold the Etrac and got a CTX, which I have also since sold to finance a new furnace.
KInda miss that Etrac. . .

Interesting... Do you miss the Etrac more than you miss the CTX???

Just curious...

I think the only reason there are a lot more 6" EQ2 coils sold then the 4.5" x 7" coils ... is the huge difference in the price.
Maybe the price of the 4.5" x 7" is so much higher because they did a smaller production run on them - higher setup costs per unit ?
Anyone else got any ideas why the 4.5" x 7" cost so much more than the 6" ?

Phillip NM,

Looking back on any long-term relationship one always remembers the good times. Me and the ET spent years together. I could predict her every move and I came to love the warmth and softness of her voice, and the cute chirpy thing she'd do TTF'ing with me.
It was an emotional breakup, but it was only fair to set her free, since I didn't love her quite the same since CTX came into my life.
CTX was a total looker and man, she could do freaky things for me that I only dreamed about with ET! I was totally smitten.
But as we got settled CTX shrill staccato voice started to wear on my nerves, and she seemed to get a bit beefier as time went on. Oh, she still looked the same , so i'm guessing I was so in love that I didn't pay attention to her heft at first.
We had some great times together, seeing new places and sharing many firsts. She was by my side when I bagged my first walking liberty half and I owe that inspiration to her. No one can ever take that from us!
But alas, she was harder to please than I realized, even though I bought her every accessory ever made! Times got tough, work kept me from taking her out often and giving her the attention she deserved.
Well, all I can say is she is making someone else very happy now. We gave it a go for a year and a half and I will always love her.
But ET will always hold that special place in my heart.
Yet if I had a chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Staying on point about small coils-
again, you can't go wrong with either one, and don't come crying to me folks when you end up with ALL of them!

I am just in tears!!---A breakup of TWO wonderful women in your life!-----Well, you had a great time while the relationship lasted. :biggrin:------I'm not taking any chances--I'm keepin BOTH of 'em! ;)

Ok...so what is the purpose of the eliptical coil opposed to the round? And solely refering to the two above mentioned coils wouldn't the 7" be deeper than the 6" (on the E-trac bc that is where we are)?

I believe the width of the coil has more to do with depth than the length. The 6" should be deeper.