Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stainless or Aluminium Scoop?

darkmark1967

Hello all, wanted to ask about peoples opinions on materials for scoops. Do you prefer stainless or Aluminium? Also, for the people who use Aliminium scoops, do you have a problem with corrosion in salt water? What thickness of materials are used?
I'm thinking about Aluminium with a stainless edge, like others I've seen, and wanted to know how much abuse it'll put up with before they seperate? Thanks to everyone who replies,
Happy Hunting, Mark

[size=large]Darkmark - It depends where you're going to use it. If you're going to do dry sanding then aluminum is fine, but once you start to get to the wet packed sand and in the water then sainless is the way to go. You can use aluminum in wet sand and water, but chances are that it will be too soft and will bend when you press down hard with your foot if you have a rocky or clay bottom that your digging in.

I've used both and like both. My curent favorite is the Stealth 6.5. It's really not made for dry sanding but I found out that it works great in the dry sand, so I use it all over the beach. Wet, dry and in the water, it's what I use.

[attachment 142067 stealth.jpg]

[/size]

Aluminum (#733) from Reilly's the best...SS is nice but way too heavy for me. iv had 3 of these and never bent one yet.

my aluminum is good in wet sand/water - but rocky/shelly sand has bent up the tip bigtime.
don't know about separation, but the alum with SS tip may be the best of both worlds - light weight plus a tip that won't bend...

for bottoms with rocks or other assorted hard stuff-ss- the diamond head Nuttalls is about as indestructible and dependable of a scoop I've found in over close to 20 yrs of md'in but it really a matter of personal preference and finances-I always buy quality and buy it once

I use a Babbs 4' aluminum (for lightness) shaft with a stainless steel (for strength) 4" lip on the basket. Lip is riveted on. Works fine. Saves the arm wear.

Thanks for your help, looks like it'd be good for me to try both for different reasons. I work the beach with soft sand but also do rivers that have very compacted beds. The design I'm working on has a point not unlike the Nuttall scoop, so was concerned if it would be strong enough if I made one in Aluminium. Will post some pics once I'm done. However, please don't stop posting your Ideas as inspiration can strike at any time. Unfortunately, Titanium is out of my price range:yikes:
Happy Hunting, Mark

Stainless or Aluminium Scoop? ...Neither!

Over the last several days on the OBX, I had a chance to test a couple of scoops that I had made. Both having a weight of less than three pounds each. Worried!? Yes... I didn't bring anything else to dig with and being 600 miles from home I did have second thoughts about their durability.
The first few times digging in the wet sand was shallow, just to test the water before diving in head first! The scoop was solid. I hit a loud target, my first thought was "beer can". After the first small scoop of wet sand the signal was much stronger. "What the hell... let's go get it!" The second scoop
was in the wet sand it's full length, 12 inches. After a few more scoop fulls, the mashed can was recovered at about 2 foot. I have no doubt if the GT can find it, the scoop will recover it!

OBX-1.jpg

The "Only Problem" was filling in the holes!

http://photos.imageevent.com/number9/march2009/websize/OBX-2.jpg

This was a good first test for the scoops with no problems. Maybe a few more designs will be made in the future? But, without question, if a "perfect scoop" is ever made... the metal will be TITANIUM!

Best at ya!
-Wayne

Mark:

Scoops are great for out in the water but wet and dry sand are another matter. The water seems to have a lubricating quality and digging with a scoop while in water goes much easier and deeper. Not having that water to lubricate or sift the sand puts you at a disadvantage using the scoop... at least recovery speed wise.

I don't now how to paste the URL on here as a link but you might take a look at my post of 2/14/2009 under Beache Hunter ID. That shovel is about 28" long with the blade being 12" of that. If you need to get down in wet or dry sand, this will do it. Carry a small mesh type scoop (3") to sift the target out of the sand once you remove the large plug with the shovel. This shovel makes quick work of recovering targets in wet and dry sand and less time wasted means more good targets.

Ron

Nice Design on the Scoops Stavr, Like the Honey Comb Design with the Octagon holes. Aerospace Engineering ...........the 3 top right {photo 6198289} are Stainless Steel Works of Art....Wish you were alittle closer....Joe

Stavr I like the hand scoop on the website

Stavr,

Great looking scoops!
The weight you posted (850-1,000 grams), is this the weight of the head only?
What size is the scoop heads... how long... how wide?
What gauge metal are they made from?

Ron,

The head on "Ti" is 12" long x 7 3/4" wide and wasn't any problem going 12" deep in wet sand...
even with my 160 pounds pushing it. Pat was using the "Patty B" in the dry sand some and sifting it as she went.
I see no advantage to using a short shovel and another sifter to recover targets.
What am I missing?

i just received my Nuttall yesterday, as my aluminum scoop got pretty chewed up on the lip, from digging the "rocky" side of Long Island.
All i can say is WOW - this scoop is a well made beast - the SS head looks like it's indestructable - and with the fiberglass handle it's lighter than the RTG 6x11" monster i had...
the only problem is that i ordered the 48" (like an idiot) and it's about 6" too long - if your 6'3" or taller it's perfect - I'll just have to cut down the fiberglass handle and pop the rubber cap back on....

My thoughts exactly, Recieved mine today too, with both size handles, 40" + 48" and the power lifting handle. I would try it first as when its on the ground it seems long but once its 1 scoop down it could be just right, it also might be easier to cut and drill the other end cos i think the grip is sweated and glued in place so that i doesn't turn(i maybe wrong)

To covert...

The "V4" measures(head only)... 11 3/8" long... 7 7/8" wide... 4 3/4" high... holes 1/2" x 3/8"... weight 2lb. 3oz.

The "Model 5" measures(head only)... 11 3/8" long... 6 1/2" wide... 6 1/2" high... holes 3/8"... weight 1lb. 15oz.

Food for thought...
If the "V4" was made from grade 5 titanium it would weigh about 1lb. 5oz.
"Model 5 would weigh 1lb. 2oz.
Both would be about 60% stronger using grade 5 titanium of the same gauge metal.

I'm not a big fan for using wood or any other material "attached" to the head for a handle.
Oh... both the "Ti" and the "Patty B" handles float upright in saltwater.

Yes... I think the only thing preventing the perfect scoop from being made from titanium is the "price"!

Number9:

Being as I'm getting to be an older gent, weight can be a problem. When using my scoop (11" X 6") in wet sand, the weight of a full scoop gets to me after a while. I can imagine what the "Ti" weighs full.

Also, I use the BHID300 and my interest is to cover the wet sand as quickly as possible, especially when I'm lucky enough to catch a minus tide.

My experience with the BHID300 is that many targets are below the reach of my scoop on the first try. The holes in the scoop allow sand to drain back into the hole while trying to recover a target. This makes for a chase the target scenario. If you can get the target on the first scoop, either (scoop or shovel) are great, but chasing a target that gets deeper on every try is better handled with that shovel. Did you take a look at it?

There are times when I just had to give up on targets using the scoop. Never gave up on any with the shovel....not one. I'm only interested in suggesting what might be easier or quicker. If you're using one of the slow sweep machines you're not going anywhere very fast anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter in that case. HH

Ron

some of my videos http://stavruslan.rutube.ru/movies

Stavr...
Where do you live?
Sand scoops and not missiles... what a better World it would be!

Ron...
I didn't see a picture of the shovel you use, do you have a link?
Yes, I'm getting older too, I was 61 as of last Saturday.