Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sticky Lower Shaft Issue Solved

Smack

After talking with customer service at Minelab I took my lower shaft out of the detector. It came out in stops and starts just like the problems I was having. I reinstalled it back following the directions like I did with the first time.

What I noticed was that the tolerances inside the tube are very tight. When I tried to extend the lower shaft I had the similar sticking. But if I held the detector in my right hand like you would to hunt and then used the left had to extend the shaft with a little up pressure while at the same time a little down pressure with the right hand the lower shaft slid in and out easily. If I tried to pull it straight out, it would stick again. It did not take much pressure to make it slide correctly.

Not sure if this is supposed to be normal, but it seems to work fine for me. Give it a try. I will probably purchase another lower shaft to have my other coils on so will see then if that lower shaft is any different.

To retract it I found that if I placed the coil flat on the ground, unit straight up, then flipped the latch it would easily retract. In fact it goes down rather quickly so get a good grip! It extends in the reverse of that. I flip the latch, then put the coil flat on ground, and unit vertical, hold the unit sort of under the battery case and it comes up easily and smoothly. You might put a toe on the coil to keep it down, but do this gently as the thing is breakable.

I tried the slight up pressure on the lower rod today while extending and it worked like a charm, no binding at all.

Thanks Steve

Glad it has helped. I thought about the foot on the coil but was a little worried about pulling it off.

Odd, but it works! Thanks

Mine was a bit sticky, not bad, applying a little pressure as mentioned did help.. I took mine apart and looked at the wear pattern the the end of the shaft and lightly massaged the rub areas and the point with some fine sand paper . It don't take much. Just a couple of rubs.....followed by a polishing with fine steel wool.Gave it a coat of furniture polish I use on my detectors and it now slides in and out effortlessly....wildherre

Mine was very tight. Tried the holding in one hand pushing down while pulling up on the rod and still no luck. Then I tried the jas414 method of putting the coil flat on the floor and holding the control box straight up and down with the shaft and it worked like a charm! I first pushed down gently to collapse the rod and then pulled it back out with no problem.

If you want to sell the sticky one let me know.. wildherre
sovereignmods@yahoo.com

I haven't had any issues with mine. I just twist and move it to where I need it to be, then align it back up. :)

Ronfin, I think that is how most of the CTX coil experiences are. I just happened to notice it with mine. Sounds like a few others but it does not seem to be affecting very many folks. The more time I spent hunting with this CTX the more I like it. Hits targets well, and with good separation. I have not had to use my sling to hold the MD as I hunt, which is a change from the Etrac. The CTX is so well balanced, I love it.

HH