Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Super modified CTX?

bklein

My CTX is destroying my right elbow/forearm. I use the harness but my swings are agressive to cover ground and there is too much mass. I’m toying with the idea of totally restructuring the detector:
Straight CF shaft.
Coil cable extension.
Display cable extension.
Both cables attach to waist-mounted control pod and battery.
I could try making a single cable that splits out on both ends to adapt pod, coil, and display.
Anyone ever done it?

I like the idea but the way it's put together you would have to destroy it or do some cutting and then there's no going back to point a .Well my ctx is 7 years old more than likely it's only a 1000 dollar machine not 2500 dollars so not as bad . I need a brave soul to try this before I would attempt it the weight is a issue 64 now 50 years of swinging don't help either . IDX your thoughts since you have dabbled in conversions on the explorer 2 . sube

How about slow the swing speed and enjoy the time. That's what I do.

With the Minelab Pro-swing harness I can swing all day and get after it the next day too. Without the harness I'm hurting in an hour and if I push it I'm not going out for the next couple days.
Doesn't address your question but I thought I'd mention it in case you're using a different harness.
I hope you find the answer because pain-free is much more enjoyable.

There’s nothing that says “I LOVE MY MACHINE AND WILL DO ANYTHING TO USE IT!” quite like chopping it up to GIT-R-DONE!:super: Mr. Klein, I cannot be of help. Chest mounting an e-series was actually easy compared to what it would take to do a similar thing to the CTX, it’s just structurally so different that the entire thing would have to be re-thought, as stated above. You certainly COULD put the coil on a different chassis and use dual extensions as you’ve thought....if you’re a “hunt by sound” guy then you could simply wear it slung on your side...display wouldn’t matter. I’m staying tuned because SOMEONE is going to do it, it just aint gonna be me(yet). A smooth slower swing helps a lot because you’re not constantly battling the inertia of the machine, but that’s not the question...I’ll be watching! Cmon Sube, hack that baby up!!

I wonder if you actually did hack it up and then put the big coil on a straight shaft how much counter balance you would need would you be back where you started IDX your the hack man I seen your explorer 2 nice job now for a real challenge the ctx . sube

Last edited:
I have been using the ML harness from the beginning. My hunts are typically 4-6 hours and every two weeks. I work two or sometimes three beaches. I enjoy the beaches even if I don’t find anything but I am not ready to slow down (I am 65 though).
I could skip the straight shaft idea at first - the main control pod and battery come off as a unit. It might be nice to make an end plate on the shaft body but to just test the idea it could be left off.
I have a GP Extreme mod project similar in concept I need to try too. I’ll post an update if something comes of either.

Last edited:
I bought an EQ800 and used it instead of my CTX for 8 months. It drove me nuts with the foil bits with associated blips and bleeps. Other things annoyed me as well - I made several youtube videos on that. It would have to be run at under 20 sensitivity for the noises to stop and I’d be losing over 3” depth doing that. I sold it and went back to the CTX and it was so much more a pleasure to use - only the weight was an issue. I look forward to what comes next from Minelab - hoping its light, better ergonomics, and better VID accuracy than the EQ.

I use the detecting buddy as it allows for a wide swing and quick detachment when recovering targets. Basically can go all day with the 17" coil on. On days where I use the Equinox 800 with the 15" coil my ar and should are barking at me after a couple hours.

I used the 18” coil for several months and didn’t see any depth difference from the 11”. In fact I used two of them- one developed a faulty shield and had beeps at sweep ends. Switching back to the 11” was wonderful. I didn’t have any signs of arm trouble back then with either. The 18” would force me to slow down and has better ground coverage but I’m sticking with the 11”.

My CTX is destroying my right elbow/forearm. I use the harness but my swings are agressive to cover ground and there is too much mass. I’m toying with the idea of totally restructuring the detector:
Straight CF shaft.
Coil cable extension.
Display cable extension.
Both cables attach to waist-mounted control pod and battery.
I could try making a single cable that splits out on both ends to adapt pod, coil, and display.
Anyone ever done it?

IF you are unaware of this, I hope these links help you out.
I think it's a good reference to start with dismantling the CTX-3030 and helps out to see what you would need to do to achieve a chest mounted display, electronics and battery pod.

For the control box/battery pod:

and

Last edited:
I hear ya. I use the harness too. I had tennis elbow real bad this fall directly related to swinging the CTX with the 17" coil. I got a steroid shot a month ago and feel brand new. However, I now alternate my arms and use the left as much as I do the right. Also, what the other members have said about a slow, deliberate swing speed is true. My orthopedic doctor said the tendon is under the most strain on the down and upstrokes. He recommended keeping the elbow bent, which is hard to do at first but you do get the muscle memory when you make a conscious effort to do it. Try switching it up, and if you have pain that lasts more than a day, go see an orthopedic doc for a shot before your tendon gets so damaged that you need surgery.

I would think a shot would be hiding the issue and we'd still be thrashing the tendon.
I hesitate to switch arms as I don't want both of them messed up!

I would think a shot would be hiding the issue and we'd still be thrashing the tendon.
I hesitate to switch arms as I don't want both of them messed up!
That's what I thought about the shot, but my doctor said the steroids remove the inflammation and repair the damage. We'll see.

Try using the left a little at first. It will feel really awkward. Think of it like tire rotation. You get more swings out of both of your elbows instead of wearing one out. And unlike tires, the arm you are resting has a chance to heal on its own.

I’m glad someone brought this up...I also had a steroid shot in my right shoulder(apparently the whole “assembly” in the shoulder is called the “rotator cuff” from what I understood). The shot was administered in the back of the shoulder and I tell you what boy, it made it absolutely PERFECT. This was just under 2 years ago and it still feels great, although like you guys have said, I do try to be more careful about how long I swing a heavy machine. The CTX+17” is also what killed mine, but I was swinging LONG periods of time between targets 3-4 days a week, 4-7 hours a day on weekends. I was being dumb and not using the harness, and when the damage is done, just the swinging motion back and forth is just about unbearable. I’ll always find a way to swing the CTX, no matter what.

I'm not a doctor but I want to prescribe you some Pendleton Whiskey in a small flask. Keep this in your back pocket. When you start to feel pain or anxiety, unscrew the cap and take a shot. Side effects include but not limited to: pin-point concentration; excessive digging; excessive hoping for the mother lode and general feeling of being on the planet by yourself. As with all medical spirits treatment. Do not drink and drive.

I would not try to change the CTX. I would get Minelabs harness and overlap each swing and would not try to cover more ground. Just go with slow swings. You not only will find more targets but won't destroy your arm or shoulder. Cover less ground and find better targets. I had my shoulder operated on and do very well with the 11" coil and the 6" coil. I stay out around 3to 4 hours. I am 77 years old. Good Luck

I agree Carver, deep targets take an overall “slower approach”. The harness was made for a reason, and that is obviously to try to distribute the weight of any machine it’s hooked to so you are just swinging, not swinging and lifting/supporting. Good advice!

I use the harness but as you say, it’s the faster swinging that is causing the problem. If I reduce the mass I’ll be better off. The other probable cause is the resistance In the water. I was spending more time in the water than I usually do and the CTX really has a lot. I have ideas I need to test out to improve that too. Been raining a lot so I haven’t been detecting and my elbow has recovered.