Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The CTX was rushed into release because the Acme detector company is about to release a new one.

BarnacleBill

This another myth I've seen in several posts by armchair experts. I've been involved with this project since the middle of 2009 and we are approaching the middle of 2012. The project was already underway when I became involved, and I'm going to guess it was already underway for at least one year, and maybe two years before that. You don't wake up one morning and decide to build a new detector this complex and have it ready to go in 6 months. Alpha and beta testing has been underway for about two years and then field trials probably starting a year ago.

Not many years ago 28% of the U.S. jobs were in manufacturing, today it is only 8% of U.S. workers. Therefore 92% of the workers in this country have no idea what it is to design and build something, and you know what, many of the posts here reflect that fact. It all looks easy from the cheap seats!:crylol:

HH
BB

Thank you for addressing these comments and all the negative trash in the post. I too am sick of the armchair experts and thier useless rethoric. Thank you to all who have worked on this project I cannot wait to have my CTX

BarnacleBill said:
This another myth I've seen in several posts by armchair experts. I've been involved with this project since the middle of 2009 and we are approaching the middle of 2012. The project was already underway when I became involved, and I'm going to guess it was already underway for at least one year, and maybe two years before that. You don't wake up one morning and decide to build a new detector this complex and have it ready to go in 6 months. Alpha and beta testing has been underway for about two years and then field trials probably starting a year ago.

Not many years ago 28% of the U.S. jobs were in manufacturing, today it is only 8% of U.S. workers. Therefore 92% of the workers in this country have no idea what it is to design and build something, and you know what, many of the posts here reflect that fact. It all looks easy from the cheap seats!:crylol:

HH
BB

I agree 1000%. I manufacture a product here in the states. Experts come out of the woodwork stating "it would so easy to add this and that", or why don't you add this one thing, it will fit :)

Thank you for the very interesting and useful information on the progression & timeline of the CTX project Bill.----I had been VERY curious about that.-----It's easy for a few to become instant "arm chair" experts when you are paying for the "cheap seats" and not having a clue as to what all goes into (and development of) a complex detector such as this.----Minelab has given us many of the VERY things in this detector that MANY have asking for & wanting for years.---What I don't understand (and never will) is the fact that then, here comes (a few) that just want to critcize and tear it apart, it happens with every new detector release from any manufacturer--the "naysayers".-----I'm getting old but I WELL remember what it was like in the old days and I appreciate (think we should all appreciate) Minelabs efforts & response in giving us this great modern detector that we have been asking for.---------Del

have to agree they would have been at this sense or before the etrac was released after all its what they do.

I have been trying to read all the info I can on this new Minelab and been using Minelabs since 1996 and know they built the best there is and expect this new one to also be the best of any detector out there. Many try to pick it apart as they cant afford one, or still looking and trying different detectors trying to find the one that will only find the good targets and not the trash, but it has to be light weight, pinpoints right on every time and cost around $200 or so. Plus the big thing is the want to take it out the first day and find enough to pay for the detector and do this without learning the detector. Anything much more than $200 they think the dealer and manufacture are ripping them off as the parts can cost that much to build one. They don't realize that it take time and a lot of changes are being made to make it the best, this cost money and lot of it just to do pay the people that spend hours trying to design and make it better yet. There is a lot of time involved and anyone that think it don't take time to develop and make it right should build one themselves and see how many times they will have to change it and probably never get it right.
This is what I expect of the CTX, The cost will be higher than what we have been paying for before because it will be better than what we have been using before because there is more time in developing all the things it will be able to do and make them the best. I also expect there will be a learning curve as it will give us a lot of info on each and every target and let us the operator decide to dig or not, not the detector decides for us with a beep anything close to what a good target would read. I also expect this new Minelab will not be for everyone and we will have some that because it cost more they feel it should find more when they go out once a month. I expect this new CTX to find more good item in many places worked out or where targets are mask by iron for those that spend the time to know it and understand it. I also expect many will complain about it too as they don't have the money to buy one so they will complain about it because they don't have one to use. I also expect to see some great finds being posted on these forums from those that will get one. All you have to do is look on the forums what is being found by the Minelab detectors and you will know why I expect this.
Minelab metal detectors are not made for everyone, but made for those that are serious and want the best.

Rick

Like most hated the Sovereign when I first got one in 1996, but stuck with it and learned it and found it to be one of the best ever built with awesome find to prove it . Didn't care for the Explorer when I got the first one, but spent the time and found it to be amazing detector, then went to the E-Trac and found it even better, so I know like others that Minelab makes the best.

Nice Rick. You hit the nail on the head. Some don't like the weight, some don't like the price, some don't like Minelab period. As far as the weight hunters carry guns all day that weigh more than 5 lbs. and how many fishermen that had an 8 lb. largemouth at the boat would not grab it because it was too heavy? None. Lay a Minelab machine down beside a 2 or 3 1/2 lb. machine and the build quality is where the extra weight is. A hobby is to be enjoyed by using whatever equiptment and methods the person wants to use. I have'nt been let down yet by Minelab and sure don't expect to with the CTX 3030. Good luck to all those that have chosen to give this new machine a try. HH :minelab:

it is heavy 4.8lb's or what every is quoted that was the number i saw it would want to be very well balanced because that is heavy guess we will find out once these hit the ground in real users hands and by real i mean people who have spent their hard earned on the CTX.

was just thinking before minelab never just release one machine there is always 2 GPX 5000 GPX 4800, Etrac, Explorer Pro, Xterra 705, 505 etc... maybe there will be a lower priced model coming too like no GPS etc ? just like a etrac with FBS 2 .

thinking about just waiting till the dust settles and see where the pieces land and see whats really going on here.

Good posts! Agree with most points. However, I would have liked the CTX to be a littler lighter than the Etrac, as i do have some issue with shoulder and neck problems after a few hrs. As far as the 5lb gun... that is not usually carried with an extended arm, so that comparison is invalid. Also , the 5 lb bass, that is only for a few seconds if your lucky enough to land it. Anyway, I have one reserved and camnt wait to get it. Not lloking forward to the new learning curve though.
Good luck also to those that are onboard. HH, Mike

As a hunter I can tell you that most of us keep the gun resting on our shoulder ready for action like soldiers will march in a parade. If, on the other hand, you were to carry the gun with it's weight on your wrist and forearm/elbow area it would be much less comfortable.

Oh you guys!----Don't get one then if you are THAT worried about the weight.---It is what it is!----The very good balance is going to alleviate much of the weight on the CXT.---This has been hashed over a dozen times.
Critterhunter said:
As a hunter I can tell you that most of us keep the gun resting on our shoulder ready for action like soldiers will march in a parade. If, on the other hand, you were to carry the gun with it's weight on your wrist and forearm/elbow area it would be much less comfortable.

I wasn't commenting on the comfort of any detector, just how many of us gun hunters like to carry the gun resting on our shoulder when walking long distances and such. I'm sure the shoulder thing is why the swingy thingy/detector setup is so popular among some. Heard good things about it.

Does the arm band have to be used to get the balance effect? I havent use a straight shaft before. I dont use one with my Safari because as a coin hunter I am always setting it down alot. Weight doesnt bother me. Its just when I over extend my swing do I have shoulder problems. Looks like it has to be straped tight to your arm. I know Im getting alot of entertanment from these discusions. I want one but will more than likely be 3rd or 4th round of shipments before funds become available. Wont whip out CC card for the hobby. Just cash from my finds of gold and silver. Working on that now. That guy hasnt used a MD his nails are to clean! Ha Ha. Great vid.

its true theres a small army who dont like ML ,because they dont listen to users comments .
#but its not true to say that there is a small army who dislike other brands of machines.
ML are unique in having a band of haters of their products .
this is my opinion based on what others say .

I like the geniuses who loudly proclaim they have never and will never own a Minelab cause their 20 year old beep and dig machine is so much better :stars:

Clad2Hunt said:
Does the arm band have to be used to get the balance effect? I havent use a straight shaft before. I dont use one with my Safari because as a coin hunter I am always setting it down alot. Weight doesnt bother me. Its just when I over extend my swing do I have shoulder problems. Looks like it has to be straped tight to your arm. I know Im getting alot of entertanment from these discusions. I want one but will more than likely be 3rd or 4th round of shipments before funds become available. Wont whip out CC card for the hobby. Just cash from my finds of gold and silver. Working on that now. That guy hasnt used a MD his nails are to clean! Ha Ha. Great vid.

Note the bolded part - I wonder if you are on to something. I have a sensitive back, regardless of the machine I use. Even light machines after hours bug me from the repetitive motion. But, I also have a very wide swing. Is there something to making things worse by having a wider swing (for shoulders, backs, elbows, etc.)?

Thx,
Albert

Most people don't set their machine's shaft length up properly. You want it so your arm is straight, or with a VERY slight bend at the elbow at the most, as you stand with a straight back...And in this position the coil should be just hardly above the ground, with no need to bend or stoop, or lift your arm, or badly bend your elbow, in order to keep the coil just hardly scuffing across the grass as you sweep. I've seen guys hunting where they had their elbow really bent a lot in order to keep the coil high enough off the ground, or using their back to make up for the distance between the coil and the ground, and so on. Even not keeping the arm strap tight enough against your arm can have major impacts on your condition after a few hours of a hunt. Don't worry so much about sweeping far left and far right. I only keep my swing as wide as my two front feet, and can perfectly do that with the shaft height and the other above conditions set just right. If I were to try to swing further left and further right my back, my arm, or so on would be bending to get involved in doing that. Too many people are in too fast of a hurry to "hunt over there". The trick is to take your time, work the coil slow and close to the ground, overlap your sweeps, and just plain out not get in a rush. That's one of the reason why a guy with a cheap machine can out hunt a guy with an expensive detector. It's all about what is under your feet and coil RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW, and not about what there MIGHT be over there ten feet away.