Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The great Equinox conspiracy.

Beyonder

The great Equinox conspiracy.

Late July 2017: An advertisement of a person parachuting with a large Minelab banner and the headline stating, "Get the drop on Minelab's sensational new metal detector", begins to circulate the forums. There is an advertised date of September 16, 2017 for the release of information at the metal detecting festival called "detectival". Some speculation as to what this may be is discussed, but nothing concrete appears.

September 16th, 2017: As the event known as "Detectival" is going on, a man parachutes out of an airplane and lands on the ground with a metal detector in hand. The crowd gasps and begins to photograph the event. The parachutist hands the detector to a man known as Brandon Neice, AKA "Dr. Tones". He begins to speak, in detail, about this new VLF Multi-frequency detector that will render "all other VLFs obsolete" called the Equinox. A multi-Frequency, selectable frequency, low priced metal detector. Video's are release with the Equinox being used at Detectival and during one of these videos, a hint of a release date of "early December" by a credible source.

Aftermath of Detectival and the next few months: Suddenly, there begins a flow of speculation throughout the internet forums as to what this new machines capabilities are. Local and large dealers begin taking pre-orders as a frenzy of questions and news hungry buyers assault the web. Various articles and videos are released over the next few months. At this point, pre-orders are most likely in the thousands with some waiting lists alone, for a single dealer, being 200+ deep.

Beginning of December 2017: Most information has come to a small trickle. By this time, release dates given by dealers, buyers and others, range from early December to March 2018, to summer 2018. Huge verbal wars arise on most forums as to the machine being release with a "I want it now" vs "Too bad! You have to wait for it" type feuds. However, in the vast metal detecting community only one thing really matters at this point: Where is the Equinox?

December 12th-14th, 2017: A well known forum officially posts a release date for Europe being "December 17th, 2017". Investigated by a few, there doesn't seem to be any credible source behind this information and in fact, people begin to "call them out" asking what his source is. No response was given. On the 14th, this same site posts another article about the Equinox(although it is the truck) stating "Am I the one who creates Minelab news? Of course not, the manufacturer does everything by itself. I am the one who just tells detectorists and distributors some piece of news." This to me is an almost direct, pointed response to being "called out". Are they "in the know" or drawing hits to the web site?

What ABOUT, Minelab?: The now tattered and frayed relationships that inhabit the forums are the direct fault of Minelab not releasing any information, or so says the consensus. Why all the secrecy? Are there glaring issues? Is this a stunt to force the hand of the competition? This large "silent gap" is not only causing strife, but is hurting Minelabs reputation. It's a lose/lose all the way around. This gap as well as a possible missed release date(they still have a few weeks left) gives the competition like Nokta/Makro, Fisher, Whites, XP and whomever else the chance to catch-up and possibly surpass with an early release of their own cancelling Equinox pre-orders. After all, would you rather wait 200 deep or get something much sooner?

Conclusion: "The very word 'secret' in our society is repugnant" said John F. Kennedy. With the possible release date 17th fast approaching in 3 days, will it be release in December or will the veil of secrecy continue?

good synopsis, up until the last paragraph which I disagree with some points.

I do think they must have hit a snag somewhere, but exactly what we will probably never know. Minelab spokespeople DID once say they EXPECTED sales to begin in December, and while we still have 2 more weeks it is looking less and less likely. Regardless of what the snafu is, I would rather they delay sales and send out a problem free detector than send out possibly flawed unit just to satisfy the impatient.

It is ready when it is ready. Why would anyone want a defective or inferior product? Let detector people do their job. If you bought into the hype or advertising then that is on you. We will sell no wine before if is time.

I'm asking, because I don't really know.

How long did it take the AT Maxx to come out after it was rumored to be in the works? Months, if I remember correctly.

The difference is the hype. Minelab REALLY hyped this machine up with that line about making all other single frequency detectors obsolete.

And guess what? That hype will sell a TON of machines. I'm on a waiting list, just like many others are, HOPING that the hype is truth. :drinking:

:rage:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8

Yes?

Are you asking me if I have too much time on my hands?

Good thing you weren't waiting for the now infamous Tesoro El Cazador!!

While everybody is here, I'd like to take this chance to wish you and your families a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to reading of your detecting adventures in the upcoming year.

As always, pics and accompanied stories are appreciated.

I hope each of you get to do a little research and planning to boost the anticipation of this next year.

Regards,

Rich (Utah)

I wonder if Minelab didn't release any info on this machine until it was finally ready to be released like they have done on a few detectors that the dealer didn't even know about. Being most cant detect in the northern parts as the weather and start their search for other detector and bought one of other brands only to find out about this new detector Minelab came out with?? I don't think they would be very happy, but now we know Minelab is coming out with this new detector so they will wait until it is out before they decide on it or something else. I would rather hear about it before it comes out, but realize that it may take a while longer as what was figured to make sure it is correct the first time.
Many of us can only do our research right now so we cant get out with it anyway so it is no big deal other than we cant buy right now. This give the field testers more time to make sure the software is right.
I still feel as I did before that it will be March or close to it before these will be actually released because they want to get as many made for the order they have right now here in the USA and feel they will be released in the UK first. I hope I am wrong and they get released before the first of the year.

Rick

Well, as of today my ground is like concrete and my season is over. Okay Minelab, that's your que to release the machine.

Hello said:
razerback408 said:
:rage:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8
https://youtu.be/T3to8QdXlpU

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvgV4P6Fzc[/video]