Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Mojave

I agree whimpster. If he got it from an employee then that's horse's mouth.
I just can't believe they only made 200. They had trouble keeping up with production I remember and I imagine they made at least 100 before releasing and for months they were selling as fast as they were made.
But who knows.

rumors of number amount produced to keep selling price artificially high

My Mojave serial is 232188.

That's interesting
I may go home and check my Mojave Ser #

I also have an old Compadre - It is the old style face place and original circuit board.

There's one up for auction on the site that we cannot mention. It has 3 days left, and will be interesting to see what it brings?

Bulletman

Shalom

The Mojave sure can gather a lot of interest for around only 200 units out there. I've been slow in using the Zinc penny discrimination. But with more Zincs being dug and most of them worthless, I started discriminating them out. Dandy little machine. Reasons I traded my Compardre, was the Mojave ability to change coils, & the stock 7" coil. I'm not going to closet my MoJo, gonna continue to hunt it .

I spoke to Rusty Henry shortly after the Mojave came out and he told me that Vince had kept the initial production run low because he didn't want to get stuck with a lot of unsold inventory. He said they could have sold a whole lot more if they had them available. When the Mojave was a surprise hit, they were scrambling to get more produced to satisfy the demand. That's the point where I realized for sure Tesoro was playing with scared money and things really didn't look good. Eventually they got a bunch more manufactured but by then the initial buzz had died down.

Rusty also told me that he had planned to retire the year before but stayed on longer because of the unexpected success of the Mojave. He also told me that new 7" coil was extremely popular and also unavailable by itself at the time so people were buying the detector just to get the coil.

Had the Mojave not been such a hit Tesoro would have folded sooner.

I'm not privy to specific numbers, but I seriously doubt that they only produced 200.

Truth be told, whimpster, I am a friend of Rusty's like hundreds or perhaps even thousands of other detectorists. I've talked to him a couple times about repairs and purchases and he sent me a nice little copy of a newspaper bio with a handwritten note one of the times I sent in a Tesoro to be repaired as he did so often with many others.

I'll echo what so many others have said: a super nice guy and credit to our hobby. Jack Gifford's death may have spelled the end for Tesoro but Rusty leaving was the final nail in the coffin.

231280 on mine

The lowest number posted here was 229923 and the highest was 234461.
Thats a range of more than 4500 possible serial numbers.
I don't think we can figure out from serial numbers, how many Mojave's were made.