Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The new and improved seal still leaks :ranting:

Went to Florida for spring break and I took the 3030 out for a first time swim. I had been in the water for 4 hrs and doing very well. I could not believe how stable it was running and some of the coins I was getting was very deep. Then the 3030 started rebooting, I looked at the battery indicator and it was very low. So I went back to the boat to change the battery and I opened up the battery pack and it was full of salt water.The Battery pack was toast and so was the terminals. it was a good thing I used the AA battery pack. It looked just like all the pictures we are use to seeing. I was very lucky after I dried it out, I put the Lipo pack in and it worked just fine. Now I am worried if it will flood again I bought the 3030 for the water. I hope I can get it fixed I am the 2nd owner so I hope there will be no issues with warranty.

Bummer, chappy. :cry:
That salt water is so harsh on electronics...

On a brighter note, as long as the detector serial number was registered, it doesn't matter if you're the first owner or the 40th...if it's still under warranty, you're covered.
You can either call, or send an email to Minelab, and they're always happy to check the warranty status of your serial number.

After the repair, I'd suggest some of the more 'heavy duty' o-rings/methods used by some serious divers.
Check YT for videos of Frogmaster Riviera and his CTX...and there's plenty of posts on the subject here, as well...

Good luck, and hope you can get back out hunting soon.
:)
mike

trojdor said:
Bummer, chappy. :cry:
That salt water is so harsh on electronics...

On a brighter note, as long as the detector serial number was registered, it doesn't matter if you're the first owner or the 40th...if it's still under warranty, you're covered.
You can either call, or send an email to Minelab, and they're always happy to check the warranty status of your serial number.

After the repair, I'd suggest some of the more 'heavy duty' o-rings/methods used by some serious divers.
Check YT for videos of Frogmaster Riviera and his CTX...and there's plenty of posts on the subject here, as well...

Good luck, and hope you can get back out hunting soon.
:)
mike
I did register with Minelab when I received it. I have not called Kellyco yet about getting it fixed. I am going back to Florida in June and I hear there is a long turnaround time. So if I send it in now I may not get it back in time . It still works so far the terminals are damage. I figure since it still works, I will buy another aa battery pack at $50, use it in the water and see if it will leak again. Then send it in at $50 to$100 shipping and insurance. I read one post where one guy sent it in five or six times for the same thing ,and they fix it every time. Still I am now scared to used it in water and that sucks,:confused: it can get expensive just to get the warranty work done and battery pack replaced. I did get some thick O-rings but I thought I would give the new type D-ring a try and look where that got me.:rant:

Hello chappy(IN)! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your CTX. Please feel free to contact me at service@minelab.com and I would be happy to assist you with repair questions.

Those who have not seen video please see it here.

https://youtu.be/Ce26MAuqnS4

I think not only do you need the new grey seal but also the new batteries with rubber edge.

Also you have to pay very close attention to how the battery sits.

It is possible for the battery not to go 100% in its grove if slightly misaligned, it catches sometimes on something.

If the compartment is flooded the battery is not on correctly.

Most I have ever had is a few drops of water but that will also do damage.

Knock on wood no issue yet. I use the 2.5mm O rings. I didnt like the way the 2mm fit..... still seemed like room in the slot. I clean them regularly under warm water and wipe out the slot with a brush to remove any sand. Im using the older style machine and battery.

Dew

Yes the 2.5mm is a better fit.

Only thing I found is if you use the black silicone nitrile one, its quite hard and the clamps are quite stressed on closing.

I did find some red silicone seals last month which are a little softer.

I wish minelab would actually make some 2.5mm seals as the material is good.

The original 1.75 mm red was far too small, the new grey 2mm seal is only just fat enough.

Though make sure if you use the grey seal the flat edge goes into the bulkhead first.
The curved edge mates with the battery.

Be aware there is a top and bottom to the new gray seal, the flat side goes in o-ring channel first, round side is what touches the battery when it is inserted. Do not put any silicone on the oring either, it attracts sand..

It is also very important to seat the battery first with your hand before closing the battery clamps, DO NOT USE the clamps to seat the battery.

Repair center has reported very few 3030 leaks with new gaskets

I've noticed this with mine. It does seem to "catch" on something. When this happens I remove the battery and start over. The battery must seated properly before latching. I bet this has caused many of the flooding problems people have experienced.

i am not sure on silicone

i have started to use it again as the tolerances are too close to call.

I very small amount of silicone is ok, but it all needs to be cleaned off and re applied each time battery is removed.

RichW said:
I've noticed this with mine. It does seem to "catch" on something. When this happens I remove the battery and start over. The battery must seated properly before latching. I bet this has caused many of the flooding problems people have experienced.

Yes, i think you are right on this.

Playing with battery and inserting over and over again, there is something that catches, its not the terminals as had dummy battery with inwards removed to test, and it does catch and not seat correctly from time to time.

I'm getting to old to hunt underwater although I might go knee deep, but if I did, this is what I would do.

I build and fly model airplanes and boats. A favorite waterproofer for the R/C electronics/ servos and connectors in and around water is CorrosionX, so I would waterproof the alkaline battery pack and power connector on the 3030. For occasional use, alkalines would be fine and if I hunted a lot, I would use rechargeable eneloops in the pack. As long as water did not get into the 3030, the worst that could happen is my batteries would get wet and I would think the detector would still work even with wet batteries. It might be a good idea to squirt some CorrosionX on the batteries as well to prevent the ends from rusting if they DID get wet.

Larry (IL) said:
I'm getting to old to hunt underwater although I might go knee deep, but if I did, this is what I would do.

I build and fly model airplanes and boats. A favorite waterproofer for the R/C electronics/ servos and connectors in and around water is CorrosionX, so I would waterproof the alkaline battery pack and power connector on the 3030. For occasional use, alkalines would be fine and if I hunted a lot, I would use rechargeable eneloops in the pack. As long as water did not get into the 3030, the worst that could happen is my batteries would get wet and I would think the detector would still work even with wet batteries. It might be a good idea to squirt some CorrosionX on the batteries as well to prevent the ends from rusting if they DID get wet.
Hey Larry after I emailed you about what happened,my father in-law had CorrosionX he uses for his boat. I used it to clean the terminals and it did a great job so I bought a can.I also bought the eneloops pro the other battery's I used did not last long at all.

Here is what it looks like after I cleaned the terminals. The first terminal the chrome came off and the corner is missing. I used the CorrosionX to clean it, this is some good stuff. I am still able to use the ctx so far but I will be sending it in to get it fixed.

Im in Fl and use CorrosionX too Larry...... good stuff for salt water electronics. I use the Buna-N Nitrile Orings. I dont use silicone.....but i clean them with WARM water so the salt and sand comes off and it leaves a NATURAL rubber stickiness to them. Larry.... be adventurous.... get out there to your neck where the good stuff is lol.

I'm glad the damage wasn't more severe Bryan but Minelab will take care of it for sure. The ideal service would be for them to send you a new upper unit and battery and a return label so you don't have any down time in prime hunting season....... hint, hint :biggrin:

Larry (IL) said:
I'm glad the damage wasn't more severe Bryan but Minelab will take care of it for sure. The ideal service would be for them to send you a new upper unit and battery and a return label so you don't have any down time in prime hunting season....... hint, hint :biggrin:
I sent Jamie from Minelab an email just waiting hear back. I will ask Jamie if they can do that, my luck probably not.