Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The new Garrett Edge digger, anyone tried it yet?

deliveryboy

Curious on how it compares to the Lesche. I ordered my first Lesche yesterday and came across this a few seconds after I placed the order. It is slightly cheaper and looks pretty durable.

1626200_digger_lg.jpg

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKGKkMuPjk[/video]

I have just seen the Garrett in advertisements but never used one. I do like the Lesche tool and the Predator model 31. You made a great purchase. HH :goodnight: :minelab:

Not a very good advertisement. I'm not inclined to pay much attention to someone who thinks wearing their cap on backwards is cool. LOL

tabman

are pictures not showing for others or is it just me?

deliveryboy said:
are pictures not showing for others or is it just me?

You're not broke on your end. I can't see the picture either. The video works OK.

tabman

No pics for me either. Glad it is not just me.

I've had these types of diggers (not the Garrett) that came packed with detectors with their name branded on them. The ones I had were very cheap China knock offs! they looked pretty good, but that was about it. The ones I've had I've gave away.

Mark

I have one and I love it. I don't think that with every day use it will ever break. I have pryed very hard on it in dry ground that had roots and had no flex in it. I also sharpened it with my angle grinder with a course sanding disk and it will cut a plug real easy. I drilled a hole in it up by the top of the handle to put a tether on it. The only thing that I think that they could have made the case a little better because it is tearing along the edge. It would also be nice if it had Velcro on the belt holder so a person could just loop it over your belt and take it off easier.

Ron M 608 said:
I have one and I love it. I don't think that with every day use it will ever break. I have pryed very hard on it in dry ground that had roots and had no flex in it. I also sharpened it with my angle grinder with a course sanding disk and it will cut a plug real easy. I drilled a hole in it up by the top of the handle to put a tether on it. The only thing that I think that they could have made the case a little better because it is tearing along the edge. It would also be nice if it had Velcro on the belt holder so a person could just loop it over your belt and take it off easier.

Thanks for the review, I finally received my Lesche today, love it so far.

I have both, and there is no difference in my opinion in how they work, one seems just as durable as the other, because the Lesche is so popular i think garrett just wanted something comparable. On a personal note, i'm not crazy about either.

I use several diggers including a Lesche and the Garrett Edge. I think the Lesche is slightly better for digging because the Edge has a thicker blade that takes more force to cut into the ground. Both are strong diggers.

I like a straight shaft hand digger. I don't like the offset design, in the two mentioned. . When you push down on the Lesche or Garrett, the offset design of the tool tends to make it move lateral, forcing you to compensate. When you push down on a straight digger, the force isn't thrown off balance and goes straight to the ground.
I've been using that True Temper digger. It's thick stainless steel. Has a big hefty handle. Inch graduations. A serrated edge like none I've seen on a digger. Only $11. Only negative is, it's made in China.
Don't bother buying diggers made of aluminum (although light weight), they will snap.
I'm a bit picky when it comes to tools, so don't mind me, I'm not putting down the top brand boys, just stating what I noticed about them when using.

Steve O said:
I like a straight shaft hand digger. I don't like the offset design, in the two mentioned. . When you push down on the Lesche or Garrett, the offset design of the tool tends to make it move lateral, forcing you to compensate. When you push down on a straight digger, the force isn't thrown off balance and goes straight to the ground.
I've been using that True Temper digger. It's thick stainless steel. Has a big hefty handle. Inch graduations. A serrated edge like none I've seen on a digger. Only $11. Only negative is, it's made in China.
Don't bother buying diggers made of aluminum (although light weight), they will snap.
I'm a bit picky when it comes to tools, so don't mind me, I'm not putting down the top brand boys, just stating what I noticed about them when using.

After a few small tests with the Lesche I have to agree, I like a straight digger over this. I have used the Fiskar Big Grip up to this point but have broken 3 of them and they have a tendency to be very slick when they get the handle wet causing bent fingernails etc on downward force, but love the power i can get behind it. These diggers would be awesome IMO if they added a stronger handle and a bigger knuckleguard. But Im sure I'll get used to the Lesche and its smaller blade, maybe I just need more time with it and to sharpen it a bit.

I tried AZWIPs prior to purchase and his cut smoothly, mine not so much. Ill try sharpening and update here

Can someone explain the reason for the offset handle on the Lesche? I am sure there is a purpose.

Dirtdigger, my guess, the offset makes it easier for prying, giving more room before the handle hits the side of the hole....all I can come up with.

In the last 35 years I have tried most every digger that has hit the market.
The one that has hung from my belt for the last 20 years is the carbon steel Hori Hori. It is indestructible, fast, light, and has a 6" blade. You always know how deep your hole is.
As for cutting thru roots, I like a pair of small pruning shears. Fast and hassle free.

Mine works great if the ground is soft or wet, but in hard dry ground, it's hard to use. I need to sharpen it some and that would probably make the difference. I've only used it twice since I bought it, but it definitely needs sharpening. I had a penny under three small roots yesterday and it wore me out trying to saw through those roots. One of the roots was slightly larger in diameter than a # 2 pencil and the other two were slightly smaller, but it was a rough go. I like it better than what I used to use which was a garden trowel, but just need to put an edge on it and it will be fine. When the ground is dry and hard, I suspect it's gonna be tough using even a lesche digger.