Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This is what I am looking at ordering

bulkness

I am new to metal detecting. I do look forward to learning as much as I can. Please take a look at what I am thing of ordering and let me know your thoughts.

Minelab CTX 3030 (standard) metal detector
Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector, this is for my 8 year old granddaughter. I do need a hunting partner, hey.
Lesche 85E - digging tool - Orange handle
Lesche Big Red digging tool (double serrated sides)
Garrett Pro-Pointer for me and the granddaughter. I may let my son-in-law use it too.
Detector Pro Uniprobe
Sun Ray Pro Gold Special Headphones and/or the Gray Ghost Underwater headphones.
Krylar Sand Scoop.

Living in Idaho most of my hunting will be coin and relic hunting. I do have a few beaches I can hunt also. I am not a fair weather hunter.

Any comments are always welcome. I have a few bucks to spend but I want to spend it wisely.

Thanks again,
Tony

Instead of a Garrett, why not a Minelab Xterra 305? Start her right :thumbup:

I agree with Gatekeeper on the grandaughters detector choice. Waterproof headphones for sure if you are going to do any water hunting. Welcome to the hobby. HH :minelab:

I think that one of many good reasons why beach metal detecting is so great is because you don't have to bend over too far or get right directly on the knees when it comes to digging and retrieving a target. I noticed that you have a hand held scoop on your list of items to purchase. I would shoot more towards a scoop that has a long handle. This way you save your back and your knees. Tons of videos on beach detecting that shows you how to operate a long handled scoop.Good luck and welcome to our obsession. HH

I have to agree with Zeus, at 70, my back has a finite number of bend overs in it and the scoop will leave more bend overs for dirt fishing. Also, if you are going to hunt in 'trashy' areas, really old parks, etc, then I suggest you get the small 6" coil also. It will quickly become your primary coil.

As much as I like Minelab products in this case Id recommend starting off with 2 ace 250s and a pro pointer & see how things go...If you end up liking it as much as you think you will you will have no problem selling off one of the 250s... wildherre

I'd recommend getting the Garretts At-Pro or At-Gold instead of the 250 only a bit more $ and you will find yourself using them to good advantage too forsome hunting. They have their uses.

I have both a Ctx and an Etrac and an AT-Pro + a couple other different machines and coil sizes to use for different reasons and situations they all compliment each other very well and the Pro and Gold are water capable the 250 isn't so no worrys about rain or beach hunting in and out of the water.

I agree with e-trac Tom. Get an ace 250 for your granddaughter, and an AT Pro for yourself. I would learn the AT real well before I embarked on the CTX learning curve. The CTX is a great machine, but you want to bevreal sure your really into MD'ing before you buy the most expensive detector on the planet. Trying to learn the CTX and the AT Pro at the same time is a monumental undertaking for a person with little or no experience. The Garrett pro pointer is the only pointer you want to own starting out. You can always buy a UNI probe later. You got enough to learn teaching the granddaughter the 250 and you the AT Pro.

I really do thank all of you for your input. Ya'll have me thinking more and more about the AT Pro. Ya'll are right in the fact I should learn to crawl before running and I would be able to help my granddaughter. I will also stick with the pro pointer for now. Thanks again to all for the information. See ya'll most likely in the Garrett section of this fine forum. Tony

Crawling before you walk is all well and good but your grand daughter is going to want all your time helping her and she will lose interest fast. She is a bit young for it anyway. You will find yourself doing your own thing by yourself soon enough. Get the 3030 learn it. The advise on the long handle scoop was excellent. Your choice of headphones was good the limiter is a real ear saver. If you have any hearing problems Black Widows are great that is what I use. I have tinitius so I hear all kinds of arrant sounds. Hard enough when you are trying to listen for a low whisper and your head is generating sounds for you to filter out also. Hear is a thought. You use the detector the 3030 let your granddaughter use the digger and the pinpointer.

Great discussion, great choices.
Ditto on the long-handled scoop.
Can't go wrong with any of the detectors mentioned.
I have a CTX and love it.
Had an AT Pro and loved it too. I found a ton of rings with it and for me it was the most fun machine I ever owned. Solid performer, easy to use interface and possibly the most smiles to the buck you'll find. It paid for itself in no time and I sold it for only a hundred less than I paid. Sometimes I wish the AT was still in the my lineup. A great everyday detector that lets you do your thing with no worries.

sparkster said:
I agree with e-trac Tom. Get an ace 250 for your granddaughter, and an AT Pro for yourself..

:thumbup:

While I'm a huge Minelab fan, I think the above is the best solution. The AT Pro is a fantastic detector and the controls are similar to the ACE 250 (which will help reduce the learning curve for both of you).

I would also skip the Uniprobe (With the Pro Pointers you won't need it).