Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This Is What Keeps Dreams Going

AngelicStorm

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsafUfrFfZs[/video]

Don't dodge those cans!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568952/Could-newly-discovered-gold-coins-haul-stolen-disgraced-San-Francisco-Mint-employee-1901-Treasure-hunting-enthusiasts-weigh-origins-couples-10-million-find.html

Excellent article. You helped bring more insight into this subject. They should remain anonymous. It is amazing how the gold diggers come out of the woodwork when something is discovered.

someone else commented on this story on another forum, they said if it was them that had found it. The only people that would have known , was him and the person that bought it. Besides Uncle Sam taking a hefty chunk of it which I'm sure they will figure out a way to. They will probably have to deal with people galore saying they are entitled to it since their great great granddaddy had buried it.

I'd like that for my next find!

We are not the only ones who read about these finds. Uncle Sam, Insurance adjusters etc. Finders keepers is sometimes Finders weepers. HH :minelab:

I was just reading an article that said its probably going to be considered a treasure trove and so it will be just about halved at 47 percentby Uncle Sam

I wonder why Americans are not allowed to have a treasure trove? What is the technical details?

Sometimes it really hurts to be honest... These folks are learning that five million times.

This past fall I tracked down a developer that owns some fields nearby me. From my research there was a house there in the 1850s. The landowner developers are pretty much absentees from what I learned from neighbors and the farmer that I know that works the field... In other words I could have been there for days most likely and no one would have known or cared...

Of course,I have to do the right thing and ask permission from the landowners, which they immediately but respectfully declined... So, know I drive past these fields at least twice a day worrying what might be there. Ev entually they will be developed and all will be lost.

Yeaup.. honesty hurts in a way...

What if---- this was only half of the stash they found! What if someone had talked too much and "let the cat out of the bag"! Perfect way to get everyone off there back and still enjoy the stuff they never reported.

GKMan said:
Sometimes it really hurts to be honest... These folks are learning that five million times.

This past fall I tracked down a developer that owns some fields nearby me. From my research there was a house there in the 1850s. The landowner developers are pretty much absentees from what I learned from neighbors and the farmer that I know that works the field... In other words I could have been there for days most likely and no one would have known or cared...

Of course,I have to do the right thing and ask permission from the landowners, which they immediately but respectfully declined... So, know I drive past these fields at least twice a day worrying what might be there. Ev entually they will be developed and all will be lost.

Yeaup.. honesty hurts in a way...

I know what you mean the problem is when dealing with corporate owners or developers you are not asking them for permission but you are asking their lawyers and insurance providers for permission. The answer is ALMOST always be a resounding NO!

GKMan said:
I was just reading an article that said its probably going to be considered a treasure trove and so it will be just about halved at 47 percentby Uncle Sam

What I don't understand is why did they go so public with it. Since it was on their property why should they feel obligated to divulge the circumstances. Now the group handling the sale for them sees increased value in the story, it will make the individual non rarity coins more valuable such as those that come from famous shipwrecks do. If it would been me, bam I rent a bank lockbox and they would go there. I would examine the coins "AND IF I REALLY NEEDED THE MONEY" I would have culled some of the duplicates out, have them graded then offered them for sale. It sounds like these people are comfortable and content in their living circumstances. I am not criticising anyone's decision about what they do with their property but that is the way I would have handled it. The rarities in the find are never going to lose value so I would hold them.

In the US, a coin hoard is treated as a treasure trove if it is old enough; otherwise, it is treated as lost, abandoned, or mislaid. Although there are federal laws (and taxes), there are also individual laws that can vary by State. Here is a good article.

www.muenzgeschichte.ch/downloads/laws-usa.pdf

HH Randy

I had read one article where there had been $30000 in gold coins stolen in 1901 from the San Francisco mint...If thats the case, I can see the government fighting even harder to get more of it...

Here is a similar article.

http://mashable.com/2014/02/26/saddle-ridge-gold-coins-stolen-1898/

Something that I find curious is that the coins stolen from the SF mint in 1901 were reported to have been all Double Eagles. Those found in this Treasure Trove consisted of $5, $10 and $20 denominations, including at least one $5 gold coin minted in Dahlonega, Georgia Mint, which was closed in 1861.

http://www.usmint.gov/kids/coinNews/mintFacilities/sfo/#stories

Bell-Two said:
GKMan said:

What I don't understand is why did they go so public with it. Since it was on their property why should they feel obligated to divulge the circumstances. Now the group handling the sale for them sees increased value in the story, it will make the individual non rarity coins more valuable such as those that come from famous shipwrecks do. If it would been me, bam I rent a bank lockbox and they would go there. I would examine the coins "AND IF I REALLY NEEDED THE MONEY" I would have culled some of the duplicates out, have them graded then offered them for sale. It sounds like these people are comfortable and content in their living circumstances. I am not criticising anyone's decision about what they do with their property but that is the way I would have handled it. The rarities in the find are never going to lose value so I would hold them.

This......^^^^^^^^^

Are you trying to say the fame?