Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This older guy can't wait!!

tometusns

I'm very excited about the upcoming Equinox. I hunted with an etrac for years and to me it's one of the best there is... But as time has taken it's toll the weight became more than I wanted to swing for hours. I've gone to a lighter machine that works very well and my second etrac sits in it's case. I couldn't bring myself to sell it and honestly haven't even considered it.... till now. Even if the Equinox isn't quite as good as my etrac it's waterproof, lighter, and has I'll fbs technology, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks Minelab!! It looks like this getting older guy is going to let his beloved Etrac serve some younger fella and I'll be swinging an Equinox!! It's with great anticipation I'm looking for it's availability to the public...I can't hardly wait...

This is the minelab i have been waiting for , i knew that it would be a Terra replacement but to have all the features this has will make it much better than some a lot higher priced .

But then that depends if Minelab have got it right , hope i haven't got to wake up yet and find out this is a dream.

It checks all the box's i have been thinking about! I need a new versatile "last"unit to buy for retirement and this would be about perfect. Concerned about battery life and charging time but that's about it.

mcb613 said:
Tome, how muchbis your Etrac? Got the x1 with it?
You know that machine is a silver magnet!
I'll send you a pm.

nagant said:
It checks all the box's i have been thinking about! I need a new versatile "last"unit to buy for retirement and this would be about perfect. Concerned about battery life and charging time but that's about it.

i would have thought 25 hours plus on a 2 hour charge , its going to be Lithium Ion isn't it.
Wont be much different to the Deus i think.

Thanks, i have no minelab experience. I did swing a GOFIND by chance once but was clueless how to run it. Happened to meet a guy swinging it in SC on vacation.

I heard minimum 12hrs run time on a fully charged batt. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a new detector, I really think this new lighting fast simultaneous multi freq multi IQ tech is gonna be a game changer

John

Sand dog said:
I heard minimum 12hrs run time on a fully charged batt. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a new detector, I really think this new lighting fast simultaneous multi freq multi IQ tech is gonna be a game changer

John
Me to John. My etrac is a great machine but this light, waterproof, multi frequency machine called "Equinox" is just calling my name... rather loudly I might add. Lol

tometusns said:
I'm very excited about the upcoming Equinox. I hunted with an etrac for years and to me it's one of the best there is... But as time has taken it's toll the weight became more than I wanted to swing for hours. I've gone to a lighter machine that works very well and my second etrac sits in it's case. I couldn't bring myself to sell it and honestly haven't even considered it.... till now. Even if the Equinox isn't quite as good as my etrac it's waterproof, lighter, and has I'll fbs technology, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks Minelab!! It looks like this getting older guy is going to let his beloved Etrac serve some younger fella and I'll be swinging an Equinox!! It's with great anticipation I'm looking for it's availability to the public...I can't hardly wait...

Tom,

A minor point...not to rain on your parade, but this is NOT going to include FBS technology. I wouldn't get rid of that E-Trac just yet. The multi-frequency technology on this unit is called "multi-IQ," and as such, we have no idea whether it even COMPARES to FBS technology. It COULD be BETTER, who knows, and in ANY case, the Equinox is very likely going to be a great machine. BUT -- until I see that it exceeds FBS performance for deep-coin hunting, I'm not getting rid of my Explorer, and I'd suggest that same for you and your E-Trac.

It might seem like a minor point, but "multi-frequency" and "FBS" are NOT the same thing...and thus this machine may not compare favorably AT ALL, if you are a deep, old coin hunter, to an E-Trac or Explorer. Believe me, I HOPE that we find out that this machine DOES render our Explorers and E-Tracs obsolete. I would LOVE a lightweight, waterproof, wireless, affordable machine that can out-perform my Explorer. But until I see it with my own eyes, I'm still an FBS man...

Steve

“EQUINOX, with Multi-IQ, has the potential to obsolete all the traditional VLF detectors that enthusiasts have been using for decades.” –Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd.

"The EQUINOX Series is the all-terrain multi-purpose detector that obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions… just select your detecting location and go!"

I think people are seeing what they want to see and not reading or watching what's really going on here, just an observation, the quotes above are from minelab.

1000 $ plus coils that's heading up there for a multi purpose detector...

as we all know there is no perfect detector and this will find its place on what we decide its good at not the people selling it to us.

I think the Equinox will match the ET on depth in most places . As for its multi freq ? it has 5 compared to the ET 28 . Its not FBS . But 5 freqs might be enough to do whats needed , anyway it will work on the wet with 5 freqs and Minelab isn't in the game to bodge that one up .
This machine is as i have said already a lightweight multi freq machine that has the Terra style to it . It will appeal to those that dont like the weight and cost of the ET or CTX .

I will be buying 2 of these , i have the other machines in my signature and 1 or 2 may go but the ET and XS will definitely stay as they are unused and mint.

I hope Minelab bring out an ET version of the Equinox but for now i am happy with the new machine and what i've heard.

its your money you are allowed to do with it as you so choose, pretty sure I am right well one would hope so anyway :biggrin:

No way I'd ever give up target trace. There will always be a place for TT in my arsenal of detectors.

Remember folks, all we've seen is an air test (impressive!) and advertising.
I'm not dogging the Equinox; just saying I hope the real world results match the claims. And if they do (and I believe they will), then I'm in.

Champ Ferguson said:
No way I'd ever give up target trace. There will always be a place for TT in my arsenal of detectors.

I'm not dogging the Equinox; just saying I hope the real world results match the claims. And if they do (and I believe they will), then I'm in.

Mine will replace my Excalibur 11 , dont dive so 10 feet will be enough. Though i'm not sure about the headphone supplied.

If I had the Etrac, I wouldn't be in any hurry getting rid of it thinking that the new Equinox will replace it. I would try the new Equinox first and then decide. If you primarily are hunting old parks and chasing deep silver.........

If it is a very fast recovery machine, then I am sure there will be trade-offs. It might or might not detect as deep as the Etrac, but I doubt that it will ID targets at depth, as well as the Etrac can. In fact, you might start seeing small flat iron etc. ringing in as non-ferrous. I really see this machine complementing the Etrac/CTX etc. It is a lite machine, waterproof to 10 feet, fast recovery(handling trashy sites better etc) This would be my go-to general purpose machine and if I wanted to do more specific types of detecting, such as "Deep" silver.....then I would grab an Etrac. ( as an afterthought if it does offer a "reactivity" setting.........)

The 800 model offers 5 freq and a multi ( so six total if you count the "Multi") It looks like the new machine gives a single VDI number. So if that is true then you will be faced with six different sets of VDI numbers, one for each freq. So the next question is do they offer the option to "normalize" the VDI numbers and if so to what freq are they normalized to? What numeric scale do they use, is it similar to Whites -95 to +95 or is it a 0-99 scale and where is the ferrous non-ferrous breakpoint? Does it offer any kind of iron audio volume adjustments, is it a single tone or multi-tones machine, and if multi tones does it offer the ability to set tone breaks ?? etc etc etc. A picture of a guy jumping from an airplane doesn't really answer too many questions. Lots of questions still out there about this machine.

I find it funny that the whole premise of this machine is that it will obsolete single freq machines and yet the machine can run in 5 different single freq. So Minelab says single freq is obsolete, but we will let you run your machine in five different obsolete modes LOL. I think people need to pay less atten. to marketing hype and just look at the specs and features to see what it might offer.

OregonGregg said:
If I had the Etrac, I wouldn't be in any hurry getting rid of it thinking that the new Equinox will replace it. I would try the new Equinox first and then decide. If you primarily are hunting old parks and chasing deep silver.........

If it is a very fast recovery machine, then I am sure there will be trade-offs. It might or might not detect as deep as the Etrac, but I doubt that it will ID targets at depth, as well as the Etrac can. In fact, you might start seeing small flat iron etc. ringing in as non-ferrous. I really see this machine complementing the Etrac/CTX etc. It is a lite machine, waterproof to 10 feet, fast recovery(handling trashy sites better etc) This would be my go-to general purpose machine and if I wanted to do more specific types of detecting, such as "Deep" silver.....then I would grab an Etrac. ( as an afterthought if it does offer a "reactivity" setting.........)

The 800 model offers 5 freq and a multi ( so six total if you count the "Multi") It looks like the new machine gives a single VDI number. So if that is true then you will be faced with six different sets of VDI numbers, one for each freq. So the next question is do they offer the option to "normalize" the VDI numbers and if so to what freq are they normalized to? What numeric scale do they use, is it similar to Whites -95 to +95 or is it a 0-99 scale and where is the ferrous non-ferrous breakpoint? Does it offer any kind of iron audio volume adjustments, is it a single tone or multi-tones machine, and if multi tones does it offer the ability to set tone breaks ?? etc etc etc. A picture of a guy jumping from an airplane doesn't really answer too many questions. Lots of questions still out there about this machine.

I find it funny that the whole premise of this machine is that it will obsolete single freq machines and yet the machine can run in 5 different single freq. So Minelab says single freq is obsolete, but we will let you run your machine in five different obsolete modes LOL. I think people need to pay less atten. to marketing hype and just look at the specs and features to see what it might offer.

It has 5 frequencies . 5 10 15 20 40 . Multi is all of those together . When you look at what is says is there are 6 settings , the first 5 are single then the multi which is all 5 . Still that will be enough.
I have used the Terra 705 and this is very similar in design though freqs are different but the Terra 705 had a good depth for Silver , i also suspect the Equinox will be better on Gold due to the high freq .
The ET and CTX have trade offs too . I have been told that even though the ET and CTX have 28 freqs that they only search in small groups of freqs at a time and the freqs are chosen automatically depending on the ground or site which the machine can determine , also that they are linked to the noise channels .
As for the numbers on the Equinox , i would not be too bothered with them , listen to the machine . If set up right and you have the right headphones then you will know what targets they are . I learned the Terra like that and after a while i could go on a beach and know exactly what i was digging almost every time .

Your last bit about making all single freq machines obsolete , in a way thats true. It will be able to swich from 1 to multi and no other can do that and the patent will see to it that no other company other than Chinese !!! will either. And this machine even with the multi freq function on will be faster than the Deus .

XP are going to have a fit if the Equinox is as good as the info says . I hope so.

Nuke em said:
Champ Ferguson said:

Mine will replace my Excalibur 11 , dont dive so 10 feet will be enough. Though i'm not sure about the headphone supplied.

Pretty much has to be waterproof so it can snorkel with the 3m detector, I'd think.

Champ Ferguson said:
Nuke em said:
Champ Ferguson said:

Pretty much has to be waterproof so it can snorkel with the 3m detector, I'd think.

I cant swim LOL but bought the Excal so i didn't have to worry about dropping it . I have yet to use my Excal but i find it too heavy and i think my bones are complaining about the weight so the new machine is ideal. Will have to investigate about headphones . i bet that will be an optional extra but i dont need them , wont be going under so the wireless set or my Gray Ghosts will do.

Nuke em said:
OregonGregg said:

It has 5 frequencies . 5 10 15 20 40 . Multi is all of those together . When you look at what is says is there are 6 settings , the first 5 are single then the multi which is all 5 . Still that will be enough.
I have used the Terra 705 and this is very similar in design though freqs are different but the Terra 705 had a good depth for Silver , i also suspect the Equinox will be better on Gold due to the high freq .
The ET and CTX have trade offs too . I have been told that even though the ET and CTX have 28 freqs that they only search in small groups of freqs at a time and the freqs are chosen automatically depending on the ground or site which the machine can determine , also that they are linked to the noise channels .
As for the numbers on the Equinox , i would not be too bothered with them , listen to the machine . If set up right and you have the right headphones then you will know what targets they are . I learned the Terra like that and after a while i could go on a beach and know exactly what i was digging almost every time .

Your last bit about making all single freq machines obsolete , in a way thats true. It will be able to swich from 1 to multi and no other can do that and the patent will see to it that no other company other than Chinese !!! will either. And this machine even with the multi freq function on will be faster than the Deus .

XP are going to have a fit if the Equinox is as good as the info says . I hope so.

Can't the Whites V3i do 1 or multi frequencies? If so I wonder how they got around the patent.