Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trial and Error - Then an Observation on D2 and EMI

Coin Rescue Inc

The short story here is that I wanted to bury a clad Dime in the soil 8" deep, as a future test area at my Campsite.
The Campsite has underground power lines coming up to Meter Boxes, every 25 ft
So one mistake I made was unknowingly picked a poor location for my test hole. I buried a dime, 6 ft from what I discovered later was the underground power line.
After digging the hole and covering the dime, I turned on the D2. I had EMI interference by that hole, so I did freq shift and then a Ground Grab that was reading 87. There is WIFI in the park. So I thought I might be getting WIFI as EMI.
The EMI settled down a bit. After checking the Hole, I could not get a trace of the Dime in Park Mode.
Disappointing for sure. How about the other Programs?
So I tried all the other Programs - The only Program that picked up a digable ID and tone on the 8" Dime was "Beach Mode". Well, If worse comes to worse I guess I can hunt everywhere in Beach Mode.
Many hours later I wandered further out in the Park away from the Power lines and noticed all EMI disappeared. Some quick testing back at the first hole I could replicate the EMI near the first Dime. and Beach Mode was still good.
That ruled out WIFI as the cultrate and left the power line as the likely problem source.
So I buried another dime 8" in the area absent of noticeable EMI.
After testing all the Stock Programs I confirmed all could get a digable signal on the dime at 8" at the second hole.

So, now that I think this over a bit, the "Beach Program" must have some ability to see through EMI, bad soils and see deeper targets?
I suggest more testing on this is needed but that is my observation.

Does the beach mode use a higher frequency then some of the other modes? Higher frequencies do better with emi then lower ones. Just a thought. HH jim tn
The manual says Beach has a a maximum frequency of 24.
Other programs can go up to 40.

Beach modes normally have more aggressive signal filtering to handle the salt signal. You might re try the first hole with the Disc run up past the foil range. That may mitigate your particular EMI. It would be interesting to see.

This chart shows most of the default settings for the 14 programs

Attachments

• Pg - 1.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 113
So these posts tie into the other post about member ranking. The willingness to answer and post curious scenarios is how we all learn. I might almost get a couple of Minelab words in someday soon…… 😂

I installed the .71 update version last night. It when Ok.
I had to link up the headphone punk and the pinpointer after the installation.
I will get to test it tomorrow at the camp site to see what change if any occurred for EMI and the 8" coin.

Initial testing today with .71 ver proved interesting.
  • The EMI is still there but much reduced after doing the automatic frequency scan in each program. Yes every time i tryied a new program there it seemed like EMI increased.
  • After updating I lost my custom coin program 15. No big deal.
  • The programs that hit best on the troubled 8" dime coin are program 6 deep high conductive is very loud, 8 gold field, 10 diving and 11 beach
  • 5 park hits it with very soft audio and true ID number. A coin close to the surface screams. So this is a program that indicates deprh with audio.
  • My detector came from the factory with what I will call ver .60. I upgrades on the first update released as .61. Yesterday I updated thv ver .71.
  • Ver .71 so far seems to be much better behaved so far. 👍👍 I am pumped about the way it is working now.

My wife and I took a ride to a small semi wilderness beach on lake Huron. She went to collect rocks and I went detecting.
Before leaving home i tested a 5 dollar US gold coin. It rang up around 70. The first target i found using program 5 was 70. Hmm.
So I dug a plug in the lawn by the beach, pulled put the pinpointer and it was no longer hooking up to the controller. After rhe .71 update at home I paired it and tested it.
I had to uninstall it and pair it again. The target that ID'd at 70 was an old ring type pull tad. Interesting....
After 30- 40 mins the wife's back was aching and we called it a day. 3 clad dimes and 2 pennies. No trash...🤞

My wife and I took a ride to a small semi wilderness beach on lake Huron. She went to collect rocks and I went detecting.
Before leaving home i tested a 5 dollar US gold coin. It rang up around 70. The first target i found using program 5 was 70. Hmm.
So I dug a plug in the lawn by the beach, pulled put the pinpointer and it was no longer hooking up to the controller. After rhe .71 update at home I paired it and tested it.
I had to uninstall it and pair it again. The target that ID'd at 70 was an old ring type pull tad. Interesting....
After 30- 40 mins the wife's back was aching and we called it a day. 3 clad dimes and 2 pennies. No trash...🤞
Hopefully next time you’ll land one of those Goldie’s! What program were you using?

How about the pitch mode?
I run all my beach programs in pitch. I pick up so much more and deeper coins and small jewelry in surf and wet sand. Using full tone and others make me listen to hear over the surf and waves. Pitch snaps right to attention on deep target. I crank my audio response to 7 max from 5 so the faint deep targets jump up loud! Good luck out there.

It's always worth a try. Better days are ahead.