Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Truthfully, the difference in most detectors

Dancer

Is it all that valuable? I'm just going to speak to my limited knowledge. So I come home after a nice hunt. In my case hunting mostly clad & jewelry. So say I have , 35 to seventy five coins, maybe sometimes a silver ring, couple times a year even a gold ring. My guess that with the right coil 80 to 90 plus of these targets fall no deeper than five inches. I believe they could all have been found by any machine Ive owned. It's when I get into a sports field with deep cover or a sandy beach . I gotta have that extra punch. Even if its only a inch or two. But how much different are these machines to each other? Back in the early 2000's I bought a machine off a very good American company for about $250. There was plenty of clad and good rings to be had back then. That little machine really cleaned up and was fun to use. Over the years the company came out with a second , third , and a fourth version of the same machine. Now just how much difference was there between them all? Take all the machines that have to be computer up dated. Thats nice but how big of a difference (in finds)doe's that make? Up against Ole reliable. The difference is first the site ( someplace that has promise ) than a hunter with some smarts & luck that can pick the place apart. Than a machine that hunter knows inside and out. Thats what makes the difference.

Is it all that valuable? I'm just going to speak to my limited knowledge. So I come home after a nice hunt. In my case hunting mostly clad & jewelry. So say I have , 35 to seventy five coins, maybe sometimes a silver ring, couple times a year even a gold ring. My guess that with the right coil 80 to 90 plus of these targets fall no deeper than five inches. I believe they could all have been found by any machine Ive owned. It's when I get into a sports field with deep cover or a sandy beach . I gotta have that extra punch. Even if its only a inch or two. But how much different are these machines to each other? Back in the early 2000's I bought a machine off a very good American company for about $250. There was plenty of clad and good rings to be had back then. That little machine really cleaned up and was fun to use. Over the years the company came out with a second , third , and a fourth version of the same machine. Now just how much difference was there between them all? Take all the machines that have to be computer up dated. Thats nice but how big of a difference (in finds)doe's that make? Up against Ole reliable. The difference is first the site ( someplace that has promise ) than a hunter with some smarts & luck that can pick the place apart. Than a machine that hunter knows inside and out. Thats what makes the difference.

Your
Your right Dancer , I must agree that knowing your detector is what makes the difference. And a proper coil swing. Overlapping pattern. Good Audio . Even with that working for you , you still have to have the LOCATION !! Utmost importance!! I am successful finding many old silver , tokens , jewelry simply because I DO NOT hunt parks !! Private old homes are in your favor for finding really great targets,simply because your probably the first detectorist to be there . I also find that having a test garden helps testing new potential detectors. .... There are many detectors out there with good potential, I try working with new potentials for 2 months before a yes or no to keep detector. There not a new detector out there that surpasses what I use now . I use a 90s technology Fisher CZ and never feel outgunned. ( manufacturers do like hearing that , but it’s the truth) . ........ my two cents being a serious metal detectorist . HH Tony

We used to have a saying in police firearms training; If you dont know how to use your firearm then leave it holstered. Go to the range and become one.

A lot of older coins are just out of reach of an entry level or even a mid level detector, and even out of reach of some of the higher end machines. Even higher end machines if not handled properly and set up properly you have gained nothing over your machine. But depending on what you are after you would be correct in your thoughts on machines. Most mid and lower level machines will find you a ton of 5 inch and shallower targets with no problem. But then throw in a very trashy environment and again the upper level machines even on shallow targets provide an edge in unmasking versus lower end machines.

Well, my kid does very well with his ATPro, and I prefer my CTX over my Etrac. He finds as many coins as I do. My CTX finds more coins over my Etrac.

If I had to go back to whatever high-end Garrett detector that I bought in 2001, I'd quit the hobby.

If you have money, get whatever you want; if you don't, pick a $5/6/700 machine and have fun.

"Also multi-frequency machines will out perform all others on a variety of targets and increase your finds."

Sorry Mr Coffey67 I have to disagree. My Vista X single frequency smokes the nox I used to have in the depth dept. Even in my high mineralized soil.

I believe location is 80% of a good hunt if it not there you not finding it.
I also believe most mid-range detectors will find everything a top-of-the-line detector will find
up to 7" deep.
After 7" then the high-end detectors take over and find the deep stuff 7"+
That's where the extra money goes that you paid for.

Last edited:
I have seven different detectors and they span a few different frequencies. One is a multi frequency. I notice a depth difference for silver on my lower frequency machines. The lower the frequency the better depth for silver for sure. Here is an article that explains it well. https://detectingschool.com/metal-detector-frequency/#:~:text=For high conductive metals such,frequencies around 9-10 kHz!
It is well know that fbs detectors ...like etrac's run lower frequencies are silver coin magnets....do you consider bbs and fbs multi frequencies....if so the whites dfx is another one ....if so I agree and retract my your being misled statement....

It is well know that fbs detectors ...like etrac's run lower frequencies are silver coin magnets....do you consider bbs and fbs multi frequencies....if so the whites dfx is another one ....if so I agree and retract my your being misled statement....
it is time for me to stop posting things as pocket spills and all seem to be different for different people...when they say multi frequency...the modern nox has a multi mode...the dfx has best data....fbs and bbs run in multiple frequencies and I am old and outdated also....so it is all up to the others to work it all out....I am done trying.

I have the DFX Spectrum and an old Eagle II SL. The old Eagle II SL is hot on silver because of its lower frequency but the multi-freq DFX Spectrum is almost as hot on silver but does a better job overall. I have several Tesoro detectors that are single freq that do well under most circumstances.